• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elan 888 vs Fischer Watea 94 vs Volkl Mantra

mondeo

From what I've read, doesn't seem like you can go wrong here. The guy at the shop I'm going to be buying Watea 94s from has the 888s and loves them as a great all mountain ski that will float. Watea has a softer flex and is light weight, riverc0il and ECPH swear by them, as well as everyone else whose review I've read. I think there's a review on Epic that compares at least the 888s and Wateas.

My guess is that each is a good choice depending on intended use. Mine is for powder, powder trees, and powder bumps. Really don't care about edge hold (though the Watea is supposed to be decent,) but want soft flex, low weight, and float. Watea seems to hit that stuff pretty good. 888 sounds to be a little stiffer, meaning better edge hold, but I'd guess not quite as good in powder (but still good.)

wa-loaf

The guy at the shop I'm going to be buying Watea 94s from has the 888s and loves them as a great all mountain ski that will float.

FYI Tramdock just had the 94 Wateas for $430.

WJenness

Yup, too skinny. The waist width I'm interested in keeps getting bigger. :lol:

That noise you all just heard was the collective sigh of relief from the single women in Central MA as they reach for another mid-afternoon snack cookie.

-w

888 is a little beefier, two sheets of metal...narrower, 88/90 waist dep on size, and heavier. According to the posted specs on both skis, they've got the same turning radius in 178 and 186 lengths...but the soter flex on the watea is easier to bend and vary the turn shape...I've skied on both and the 888 feels like it has less sidecut. IMHO the watea is more versatile...and I typically prefer skis with two sheets of metal...but there's something about the watea construction that gives me the edge grip I want without the weight of the two sheets of titanal. I used to love the Mantra...then found the watea...holds just as well and is more playfull.

Philpug

you could go eany meany miney moe and not make a bad choice with those three skis.

wa-loaf

888 is a little beefier, two sheets of metal...narrower, 88/90 waist dep on size, and heavier. According to the posted specs on both skis, they've got the same turning radius in 178 and 186 lengths...but the soter flex on the watea is easier to bend and vary the turn shape...I've skied on both and the 888 feels like it has less sidecut. IMHO the watea is more versatile...and I typically prefer skis with two sheets of metal...but there's something about the watea construction that gives me the edge grip I want without the weight of the two sheets of titanal. I used to love the Mantra...then found the watea...holds just as well and is more playfull.

Thanks, that's good info.

you could go eany meany miney moe and not make a bad choice with those three skis.

If you were going to Colorado in March and you had to choose one. Which one would you take?

Dr Skimeister

If you were going to Colorado in March and you had to choose one. Which one would you take?

I'd try to demo all of 'em out there and make my purchase out there. May do well with "late season" pricing in March, and cost of demo may be applied to the purchase price.

mondeo

I'd try to demo all of 'em out there and make my purchase out there. May do well with "late season" pricing in March, and cost of demo may be applied to the purchase price.
Heh, good luck with that demoing. Been looking for a while. Buying without a demo.

wa-loaf

Heh, good luck with that demoing. Been looking for a while. Buying without a demo.

I'm doing the WA Ride-em and Rank-em in March for the ski shop. I should be able to try the Watea and Volkl then. They don't carry Elan though. That may influence what I do for CO.

Philpug

Seriously, any of them, they are all real sweet. Which ever you can get the better deal on.

wa-loaf

OK, so which one looks cooler?

I think the Fischer is kinda dull and it's a real wimp-out they went with the same design for all widths on this one. The Elan is cool, subtle and a little retro. Not sure what's going on with the Mantra, but I kinda like it. I say the Elan wins in looks.