• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington to Replace North Ridge (Glades) Triple Chair

machski

Application suggests that it will be a bottom-drive lift. I wonder why? The current one is top-drive, and Canyon Quad is top-drive
In my opinion, that top drive will make the unload area very tight. They say no additional tree clearing, not much room up there for an Alpha terminal. We'll see how it fits in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

icecoast1

I was up there on Sunday. Sure looked like a top drive to me. It's also almost mid-January. If I was a pass-holder I would be very upset.

Why would you be upset that they are planning on upgrading ancient lift infrastructure?

benski

Clearly a top drive. Engineers. Is there an engineering advantage to a top drive? It would seem touting the drive closer to the base would make maintenance cheaper.

icecoast1

Because it's already the 3rd inning and it's still just a construction site that was advertised as a new lift for the 18/19 season.

I thought that was the South Ridge chair? Or am I missing something?

Zermatt

Clearly a top drive. Engineers. Is there an engineering advantage to a top drive? It would seem touting the drive closer to the base would make maintenance cheaper.

Because the top of the lift is closer to the top of Killington Peak and access roads/maintenance. The base is actually more remote.

benski

Because it's already the 3rd inning and it's still just a construction site that was advertised as a new lift for the 18/19 season.

I'm not a passholder, so I'm not upset. And yes, it is just one lift of over two dozen but they are selling passes based on advertisements and not delivering.

I think your thinking of south ridge, we are talking about north ridge. Two separate lifts. It seems like Lietner-Poma and Dopplemeyre both dropped the ball with late deliveries.

WoodCore

So was Stratton and BW and add the debacle at Copper

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

I thought it was something to do with pulling directly on the loaded side of the lift, not the slack of the downhill unloaded side.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I thought it was something to do with pulling directly on the loaded side of the lift, not the slack of the downhill unloaded side.

Yes. A top drive is more efficient. Accessibility for maintenance is also a consideration. Since Canyon Quad is a top load, and it is relatively close to the top of K-1, that was probably another consideration.

canobie#1

Adding onto Killington's weekend crowds and capacity, the mountain does a better job spreading out guests than most East Coast resorts. Adding this extra capacity really won't do much during peak season, even on the weekends. As for the early season, this would be huge. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Upper Ridge Run get a snowmaking line installed to help for the early season crowds. Its a nice little natural trail but its not a major loss if it becomes man-made.

skiur

Adding onto Killington's weekend crowds and capacity, the mountain does a better job spreading out guests than most East Coast resorts. Adding this extra capacity really won't do much during peak season, even on the weekends. As for the early season, this would be huge. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Upper Ridge Run get a snowmaking line installed to help for the early season crowds. Its a nice little natural trail but its not a major loss if it becomes man-made.

Bite your tongue! We already lost pipe dream and great bear to snowmaking this year. There aren't many intermediate natural snow trails left at K. If we lost west glade then vagabond is really all thats left for people to learn how to ski natural bumps.

canobie#1

Ridge Run is not a very memorable trail to being with. Giving it a base early on in the season can really help control the crowds on rime and reason. Vagabond is far more bumped out than ridge.