• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 12/19/2008

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Just found this in my email box from about 30 minutes ago:
1219081629.jpg

2knees

i was out there earlier. skied with dowhill04 for a few hours. snow started just about when i got there and got heavy real fast. which is a good thing cause the bumps were rough. But they got progressively better and by my last 4 or 5 runs were approaching pure sweetness. the troughs on temptor were still ice but you could just launch from bump to bump as those were getting soft. I can only imagine how good it is now.

Just saw some totals on the 6 o'clock news and new hartford was coming in at 7 1/2" and still snowing like mad. Its a super light dry snow also so no chance of it freezing up.

i'll be there tomorrow night come hell or highwater. should still be good although i dont think anything short of 3 feet will hide the troughs on temptor. they are real deep and real icey. slam bam thank you ma'am is the way to ski those things now.

WoodCore

Just got back in from Sundown. Skied with the group from around 3:30 until 6pm. The snow was really coming down the entire time I was out on the hill. Probably a good 6 or 7 inches on the ground already. Everything was skiing really nice and the bumps where silky smooth. The roads where actually better on the way home than on the way up.

powbmps

The bumps in that picture look pretty sweet! Still the only seeded bumps in NE?

2knees

The bumps in that picture look pretty sweet! Still the only seeded bumps in NE?

funny thing is by now, you would never know they were seeded at all. its been almost a month since they were catted and its rained about 10 inches, been 60 degrees, had connecticuts finest gapers all over them and had snow blown on them probably 8 times. oh and did i mention the couple of whales on there? they ski like some kind of amusement park ride. so much fun. only negative is the length, its just over too fast.

rueler

It was a great night out there with you guys!! I agree with the driving assessment...way smoother ride home than on the way up. I was surprised to see a over a foot at my house and it seemed as only 6 or 7 inches that we skied...I'm sure they caught up to that foot mark by now...or gone past it...it's still puking out here!! I'm going to the local park in about 10 minutes...there's an old defunct ski run that's about 400' vert. hope the late night crew keeps rocking right to the last chair!! Great skiing guys!

gmcunni

lots of fun tonight. impressive group of skiers out there.

i got on my first chair at 1:50 PM. First run down temptor was a little hairy, 1 inch of powder of icey bumps. But with each run it got better and better, "beyond epic" was what someone said :)

It was fun seeing the snow pile up on the lift tower each ride up. I called it quits about 6:30 or so. ride home was fine, just slow behind a quad of plows on RT 8.

2knees

i got on my first chair at 1:50 PM. First run down temptor was a little hairy, 1 inch of powder of icey bumps. But with each run it got better and better, "beyond epic" was what someone said :)

its funny you say that. I left as you were getting on the lift for your first run. They wouldnt let me on for "one more". my ticket had expired 2 minutes earlier. Anyway, I thought the bumps were fantastic when i left. but then again, you should've seen them before even that inch fell.

they were ruff like rufus.

Greg

Staff member
Great night. Got to the mountain about 2:20 and clicked in about 2:30. Nor'easter bumps were already nice. Temptor was a little sketch, but very skiable. It obviously got better throughout the night, but the slick troughs never fully disappeared. I skied all over that run, but kept coming back to the money line with the snowmaking whale drop off. That line proved to be the best all night. Skied right to the closing bell with two 15 minute breaks and one 20 minute dinner break. That's a lot of bumps, but nothing compared to downhill04's epic 11 hour attack on Temptor! :-o

Good crew tonight. Let's see in no particular order we had: Greg, bvibert, mondeo, rueler, WoodCore, johnnypoach, Madroch, powhunter, Mikey1, Grassi21, gmcunni, downhill04, MR. evil and ishovelsnow for a run. I think that was it. Sorry if I missed anybody. They picked up about 10-ish inches, at least according to my unscientific estimate by looking at the bottom of the lift towers. Probably really closer to a foot since those are in the protected liftline. Nice light snow, no mixing at all.

Great night with nice company. mondeo was killing it. Ripping bumps, kossacks, twisters, twister-spread attempts, crosses. He was banging for sure. He's going to be the sleeper in the bump comps.

We got some vid.

Greg

Staff member
Video

Enjoy and good night.