• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 11/30

Greg

Staff member
I've watched the video a few more times now. First; everyone was killing it, especially considering it's only November. Chris, I'd heard that you've been ripping those bumps up, it's nice to see it with my own eyes, nice work! Watching my segment (I wish there was more to analyze, but that seemed to be a pretty good representation of how I've been skiing); it looks like I was doing a pretty good job of keeping my hands up front, I didn't really notice any dropped hands like I normally do. Looks like I'm still bending at the waist quite a bit though. I felt like I was doing a pretty good job of keeping out of the back seat though, I've been able to do a pretty good job of driving the tips down the back sides. Need to work on tightening up that stance more too.

Thanks again for the video Greg, it's really useful to analyze my skiing, especially when there's better bumpers skiing the same bumps in the video.

No problem. And yeah, I'd say your skiing is pretty good. :lol: :razz:

Greg

Staff member
whats everyone wearing so I can identify them?

gmcunni - light grey pants, dark green softshell (he's in the first scene)
2knees - light and dark grey and red coat. Super dope Adidas wind pants :razz:
powhunter - all red softshell, light grey pants
Grassi21 - dark blue softshell, dark grey fly-ass baggie pants with houndstooth pattern :lol:
Greg - dark grey and red softshell, light grey pants, screaming green boots
mondeo - green jacket, black pants
bvibert - white helmet, red jacket, black pants
ishovelsnow - bright green hat that matches my boots ;)

2knees

awesome job as usual greg. wish i coulda hung around for the softer bumps that came but still had a blast.

cant believe how good those lines were.

Chris Sullivan for president!

Greg

Staff member
Chris Sullivan for president!

Seconded!

BTW, Chris indicates most of the feedback on the bumps this weekend was almost all positive. There was only one complaint due to the fact that so much of the available terrain was dedicated to bumps. That won't be an issue once more trails open up.

Now it's time for me to send out the head of the AZ security force, bvibert, to go find that guy. ;) Seriously, some people just don't get it. There are plenty of other ski areas where you can find strictly flat boring vanilla groomers early season. Sundown once again rules it.

Steve and I hooked up with a younger guy yesterday and did a few runs with him on the bumps. He was just getting started figuring them out, but managed pretty well and was loving it. It's so great to see people keep getting hooked.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Seriously, some people just don't get it. There are plenty of other ski areas where you can find strictly flat boring vanilla groomers early season. Sundown once again rules it.

I would say that 'most' other ski areas have strictly flat vanilla groomers right now and will be that way until near Christmas. I've been out twice, closest thing I saw to bumps was about a three dimple line on the side of the trail at Waterville on Saturday. I'm guessing I won't see any at Wildcat this weekend or Sunday River the following weekend.

bvibert

Staff member
Seconded!

BTW, Chris indicates most of the feedback on the bumps this weekend was almost all positive. There was only one complaint due to the fact that so much of the available terrain was dedicated to bumps. That won't be an issue once more trails open up.

Now it's time for me to send out the head of the AZ security force, bvibert, to go find that guy. ;) Seriously, some people just don't get it. There are plenty of other ski areas where you can find strictly flat boring vanilla groomers early season. Sundown once again rules it.

Steve and I hooked up with a younger guy yesterday and did a few runs with him on the bumps. He was just getting started figuring them out, but managed pretty well and was loving it. It's so great to see people keep getting hooked.

I'm glad to hear they received good feedback! There were certainly plenty of people of all abilities skiing the bumps over the weekend.

There was two full trails of groomers versus the one for bumps and another for terrain features (which could be skied like a groomer if desired)

Greg

Staff member
I would say that 'most' other ski areas have strictly flat vanilla groomers right now and will be that way until near Christmas. I've been out twice, closest thing I saw to bumps was about a three dimple line on the side of the trail at Waterville on Saturday. I'm guessing I won't see any at Wildcat this weekend or Sunday River the following weekend.

Yep. We are extremely fortunate, and trust me, not one of us takes it for granted.

4+ more months of backyard bumps?! :daffy::spread:

SkiDork

Killington had some decent bumps this weekend. Northstar and to a lesser extent Vagabond

Greg

Staff member
Great skiing everyone. I'm kicking myself for not joining you guys. I gut up there around 9:45, watched from the deck for about 30min to see if I noticed anybody, then went home. I didn't see anyone and didn't want to buy a lift ticket to ski by myself in the rain. Oh well there is always next week :cry:

I walked in about 10 after 10. Saw Gary walking in as I clicked in and ran into Steve pretty much right away. I think Chris and Pat showed up closer to 10:30. Would've been a blast if you were there, Jay. Rain = guaranteed good bumps. It was worth getting saturated. Don't let it happen again. :razz:

2knees

a few revelations for me yesterday.

1) Windpants suck donkey nuts in the rain
2) Wearing my glasses and being able to see was eye opening. seriously, being able to see more than 8 -10 feet in front of me was a nice change.
3) I tried, with mixed results, to really keep my hands up front and more quiet. I didnt see any footy that caught my serious attempts but i think i got it down on a few runs.

Greg

Staff member
3) I tried, with mixed results, to really keep my hands up front and more quiet. I didnt see any footy that caught my serious attempts but i think i got it down on a few runs.

Steve and I noticed you doing this. Looking good. This is something I'm working on too. I'm really trying to get away from the wild swings and "card dealing". But same thing for me; I didn't notice too much consistency in the video of quiet hands on my part. I'm also trying to keep my poles more vertical, vs. an "A" shape. My new poles at 46" are probably still too long for the bumps. I hesitate to chop them shorter though. I had one instance yesterday of totally missing a pole plant which resulted in a single ejection wreck. :oops: :lol:

gmcunni

my revelations from yesterday:
  • my new pants from TJMax are not waterproof
  • i stand too tall in the bumps
  • i am much slower than you guys
  • i really need to learn something other than a spread eagle :spread:

bvibert

Staff member
my revelations from yesterday:
  • my new pants from TJMax are not waterproof
  • i stand too tall in the bumps
  • i am much slower than you guys
  • i really need to learn something other than a spread eagle :spread:

My pants let a little water in over the course of two hours, unless you're wearing full on rain gear it's hard to stay completely dry. My Gore-Tex gloves were completely soaked through after about an hour.

As far as I know standing tall isn't a bad thing, as long as you're centered over the balls of your feet and absorbing the bumps with your legs.

You didn't look any slower than I was skiing yesterday.

I can't even do a spread eagle, just search for "dumper air" and you'll see what I mean. I pulled off my first dumper air of the season off of the last roller yesterday. :spread:

powhunter

a few revelations for me yesterday.

1) Windpants suck donkey nuts in the rain
2) Wearing my glasses and being able to see was eye opening. seriously, being able to see more than 8 -10 feet in front of me was a nice change.

As I told ya pat that one run I really watched your hands were in perfect position IMO....I can say that is ONE thing I am doing right....Ive been practicing that on the groomers and think its been paying off...

steve

powhunter

Mondeo was really ripping it yesterday....His A&E is something Ive been working on for years..He really snaps those knees up towards his chest!! I was impressed..Greg and I even joked he went to BC over the summer!!!