• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

70th Anniversary of Hiroshima

Tin

I don't have anything against the Japanese or the Germans, but I do hold a grudge against the generation that fought against the U.S.

Groupthink and obedience are real, active, and powerful parts of social psychology. I would suggest reading Ordinary Men by Christopher Browning. It discusses how those men in Nazi Germany were not fit for combat followed the blitz, rounded up those targeted, and did the killing. A tough read but it shows how obedient we are to authority even when we know something is wrong.

steamboat1

As well they should (hope it's reciprocal). Now, if only we could get good care for our own vets at home.
My uncle who passed away several years ago (WWII Vet) received very good treatment from the VA I think. They even put him up in a nice nursing home near the ocean his final 2 years at no cost to our family.

Tin

My uncle who passed away several years ago (WWII Vet) received very good treatment from the VA I think. They even put him up in a nice nursing home near the ocean his final 2 years at no cost to our family.

I have two grandfathers who were in Korea and receive amazing care (Knee/hip replacements, physical therapy, etc.) The VA appears to do very well on that end.

However, in my work at a mental health hospital and neurology clinic I see vets with TBIs, PTSD, substance use (mostly over prescribed benzos and opioids from the VA), and a new trend of epilepsy amongst Iraqi vets (in the 30-50 year old range) who come to get second/third opinions or treatment because of how awful the VA is. I would say 2-3 a week minimum.

skiNEwhere

I could write an entire book about the VA, based on both my first hand experiences and those of other vets I served with. But I'll bite my tongue and say they do well in some aspects, and are horrendously failing in others.

dlague

VA in White River Junction was really solid with my father in law then again there were several doctors from Dartmouth who worked there too. Good to have a teaching hospital near by I guess.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's one of the better VA hospitals in New England. Some of the others I can't give much praise to. I've literally been inside 280 of the 300 hospitals in New England. The quality of service, available technology and general upkeep is far and away better at civilian hospitals. It should be the opposite IMO.

Funky_Catskills

Sad day - i visited there a couple years ago with my good friend who lives there. She lived with us a an exchange student..
Her father is a Japanese vet from WWII - I knew him - he recently died. My trip to Japan was to honor him because Kazumi came to the US to honor my fathers after he died..
We were lucky to get a tour of Hiroshima from a woman who helps authors and movie makers with the history. Her family was touched by the blast. Her Grandmother and Grandfather died - the parents were outside of town sheltering. They KNEW something was going to happen.. It is said we left it alone so when we bombed it - we could better understand the effects with clean terrain.

It's an amazing place... And amazing to see the town fixed up like nothing happened..