• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help locating a specific helmet ...

monkfe

I was up at Lake Placid a couple weeks ago and saw this helmet I'm interested in that some guy was wearing in the gondola. The goggles were fitted to the underside of the helmet, but were also fitted to a bottom motorcycle type lower portion. That lower portion was removable (snap out). He also said it was originally only available out of the country, but recently became available in the US. This years model apparently had a bluetooth upgrade as well. The visor is a magnetically attached as well. Appreciate the help....should have taken a picture.

monkfe

it was great skiing...a little windy the first day, but the peak opened the second day and it was a good time...

Hawkshot99

Talking to people that own them. The face guard is purely cosmetic. In a crash it will provide no protection since it just snaps on, and may brake cutting up your face.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Talking to people that own them. The face guard is purely cosmetic. In a crash it will provide no protection since it just snaps on, and may brake cutting up your face.

What about protection from the weather/cold? That is what I thought of the first time I saw those.

monkfe

Yeah I wouldn't think it would- I though it was more of a wind shield, I really was interested in it as I have an issue with my current helmet pressing on my goggles which in turn press on the bridge of my nose. I thought this was a good alternative as the goggles fit into the helmet. The guy who was wearing it seems pretty stoked about it. Any others with issues let me know.

gmcunni

What about protection from the weather/cold? That is what I thought of the first time I saw those.

based on my son's comments , it isn't much of a weather protection system. he still wears a fleece neck warmer. the condensation collects on the lower guard and he often has icicles hanging from the bottom.

Hawkshot99

Yeah I wouldn't think it would- I though it was more of a wind shield, I really was interested in it as I have an issue with my current helmet pressing on my goggles which in turn press on the bridge of my nose. I thought this was a good alternative as the goggles fit into the helmet. The guy who was wearing it seems pretty stoked about it. Any others with issues let me know.
Why not just take your helmet to a shop that has a large selection of goggles and try a bunch on? Every goggle will fit differently with different helmets and faces.

I wear Oakley canopy's with my POC racing helmet. They fit great, but push badly on my nose with my Smith Vantage helmet I wear for regular skiing. So I have Oakley Flight Deck XM's for that helmet.

Jully

Why not just take your helmet to a shop that has a large selection of goggles and try a bunch on? Every goggle will fit differently with different helmets and faces.

I wear Oakley canopy's with my POC racing helmet. They fit great, but push badly on my nose with my Smith Vantage helmet I wear for regular skiing. So I have Oakley Flight Deck XM's for that helmet.

Agreed. A lot of companies have "integrated" helmet goggle "systems" now. Thought it was a total gimmick until a year ago when I borrowed a friend's Giro goggles for my Giro helmet. It might be a gimmick, but it felt pretty nice!

dlague

The whole face thing bothers me technically. Your breath needs to go some where and condensation must form and freeze if you are really working it on cold days. Then again, I never where a face mask even on the coldest days and certainly not here in CO.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawkshot99

Agreed. A lot of companies have "integrated" helmet goggle "systems" now. Thought it was a total gimmick until a year ago when I borrowed a friend's Giro goggles for my Giro helmet. It might be a gimmick, but it felt pretty nice!
I have tried on EVERY smith goggle with my Smith Vantage. None fit as well as my older pair of Oakley Crowbar or current Flight Deck.

Edd

I have tried on EVERY smith goggle with my Smith Vantage. None fit as well as my older pair of Oakley Crowbar or current Flight Deck.

I wear Flight Decks with my helmet and they push down pretty bad on my nose. Literally interferes with my breathing. I'm dealing with it for now because the goggles were pricey but next time I'll be more careful. I tried them on before buying but didn't notice the issue. I was more concerned about the goggle/helmet gap.

Hawkshot99

I wear Flight Decks with my helmet and they push down pretty bad on my nose. Literally interferes with my breathing. I'm dealing with it for now because the goggles were pricey but next time I'll be more careful. I tried them on before buying but didn't notice the issue. I was more concerned about the goggle/helmet gap.
Flight Deck, or flight deck XM? I hate the fit of the flight deck. Very tight on my nose. Love the fit of the smaller cm version.

Jully

Interesting. I've only tried the Giro system. I haven't owned a Smith helmet in many years. Maybe their goggles just don't fit the same.

Hawkshot99

Interesting. I've only tried the Giro system. I haven't owned a Smith helmet in many years. Maybe their goggles just don't fit the same.
I'm just saying you don't have to have matching helmet and goggles brands. You do need to take your time and try on a bunch of goggles with your specific helmet.
Giro does make some nice goggles, but I personally love oakley. Up until this year that meant I had to have a different brand goggle and helmet, but it's OK because I found stuff that fits perfectly.

Jully

I'm just saying you don't have to have matching helmet and goggles brands. You do need to take your time and try on a bunch of goggles with your specific helmet.
Giro does make some nice goggles, but I personally love oakley. Up until this year that meant I had to have a different brand goggle and helmet, but it's OK because I found stuff that fits perfectly.

Oh yeah. I never meant that the system had to match. I was just saying that's a good place to start!