• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your significant other...

kingslug

So, does your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband..care about all these things we pontificate on ..all the time? Or do they not even think about it much. Do they know the weather forecast, conditions, watch ski movies, etc ? When I decided to get married again, I picked another skier. She was Vice pres of the ski club. Yes I had to pretty much throw out ALL her stuff and start over but she was game. And now she skis much better and gets in over 25 days a season. But I can't really talk to her about these things, she doesn't care too much. But thats why I have ALL of you.
Thoughts...

KustyTheKlown

my ex was a never skier who became a solid intermediate over our 3 years together. if nothing else, I gave her the gift of becoming a skier. she continued to ski this season (we broke up about a year ago), and even went to Banff with a couple of her friends.

my current girlfriend is an avid surfer who wants to learn to snowboard. but she hurt herself surfing two summers ago, was in pain for over a year, finally got diagnosed, and had major hip surgery this past January. she hopes to be ready to learn next winter. she is totally accepting and supportive of my obsession. she came along to just sit and read in the lodge many times this year, and didn't complain a single time. she is great and I love her.

JimG.

Staff member
My wife has zero interest in any of this.

What is important is that she is fully accepting of the fact that I care and she supports my skiing habit.

Glenn

My wife is pretty into it. She'll follow the weather somewhat, but usually asks me about it. When she's looking for new skis, she'll do her own research and then demo. I stay out of her way when it comes to attire. :lol:

Smellytele

While my wife skis she only gets out about 10-15 days a year at most. She is already slowing down and only likes skiing groomers but will ski bumps if they get in her way. Never goes in the woods. Hates spring skiing. She hasn't liked skiing any type of powder although she now has some skis that bust through crud pretty well and enjoyed a few crud busting days this year. She makes snide remarks about me posting on ski sites such as this. Only cares about the weather when she knows she'll be skiing and if it doesn't look good she won't ski. She goes to the Warren Miller movie every year as we go as a family. I think she likes them for the most part. She has made it a point to say we are going somewhere warm next year for Feb vaca and not skiing.

Pez

I don't know if I could have a serious relationship with a non skier. Maybe that's why I'm single?

KustyTheKlown

I don't know if I could have a serious relationship with a non skier. Maybe that's why I'm single?

there are very few women (at least in my NYC dating pool) who could hack it with what and how I am trying to ski. if I lived in Denver or something, no problem. but if I meet a woman in nyc who says she skis, she means that she skis groomers at killington 5 days a year. in my experience down here, it's just been easier to date non skiers or casual skiers and then encourage them to do it more, with the understanding that if she comes with me on a ski trip, we'll drive together, eat together, sleep together, but for the most part not ski together. as well as the understanding that from thanksgiving to easter I will not be available on a weekend for almost anything.

drjeff

My wife probably skis 80-85% of the number of days that I do (she's usually getting 40 or so days a season, and has basically every year since our youngest child was born 12 years ago). She's into her skiing for sure, although she's not as obsessed about many of the operations things that I am.

I am quite lucky to have both a wife and kids who enjoy the ski lifestyle as much as I do

Edd

My wife has been at management level at ski resorts for over a decade. You would think that she might be an advanced skier but that’s not the case. She knows quite a bit about industry news and how things are done. I love that about her.

But, she’s an intermediate skier, even with access to instructors for free and so on. It’s just not her primary focus.

However, I have enjoyed dozens of free ski days, east and west, on her behalf. She’s got connections. I would be delighted if she’d be on the same page as I am but I have realized that it’s not happening. It could be much worse and I’m grateful for my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ThinkSnow

My spouse does not ski or snowboard, but has an avid interest in XC skiing & snowshoeing. We frequently do those two activities together, which leaves me with plenty of free time with my ski buddies for the downhill stuff. Works out great.

Scruffy

So, does your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband..care about all these things we pontificate on ..all the time? Or do they not even think about it much. Do they know the weather forecast, conditions, watch ski movies, etc ? When I decided to get married again, I picked another skier. She was Vice pres of the ski club. Yes I had to pretty much throw out ALL her stuff and start over but she was game. And now she skis much better and gets in over 25 days a season. But I can't really talk to her about these things, she doesn't care too much. But thats why I have ALL of you.
Thoughts...

Consider yourself lucky! I am also lucky. My wife also skis 25-30 days a season. But she is more a social skier, where I'm in it to win it ( at least win the competition between one half of my ego and the other :-D ) But, she knows I'm a ski nut so she tolerates all my obsessiveness over skiing, and my quiver :cool:.

shwilly

My darling is as into it as I am, maybe more. She got me my first lesson as a present. I got into the sport as she was getting back into it after a college / early 20s hiatus. Going on ski trips together has always been our favorite winter getaway.

Now that you mention it, I might never have gotten into it if not for her, and skiing / boarding together has been a great part of our relationship.

KustyTheKlown

My wife has been at management level at ski resorts for over a decade. You would think that she might be an advanced skier but that’s not the case. She knows quite a bit about industry news and how things are done. I love that about her.

But, she’s an intermediate skier, even with access to instructors for free and so on. It’s just not her primary focus.

However, I have enjoyed dozens of free ski days, east and west, on her behalf. She’s got connections. I would be delighted if she’d be on the same page as I am but I have realized that it’s not happening. It could be much worse and I’m grateful for my situation.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

employ me please.

kingslug

As far as woman who ski well in NYC..check out my club..Diamond Dogs. We have no house or dues or anything..just trips and happy hours..and some of the woman are pretty good. I ski with s ome of them in jackson, snowbird etc..theyre not going to do octopi garden..but few people do. We gave good trips and good prices and a bunch of us can hit the good stuff. The trips sell out very fast. Most are under 2 grand.

KustyTheKlown

got a link? I'm a little wary of ski clubs in general. I feel like i'm younger than the typical demographic, and I also like doing this alone and with my select group of ski buddies the other half of the time.

SkiFanE

Maybe you'd call us the quintessential ski couple lol. I started at 5yo, he at 3.5yo. Met in college when I skied once/year but never with him. Not until 4-5 years later did we finally ski together and he realized I was pretty good. So then it became our activity. I got a second job to afford new ski equipment and ski tickets. And then we spent winters day tripping, crashing on couches and cheap motel rooms. Then had kid during magnificent winter of 95/96 lol. Then 2 more. Bought ski place between kid 2 & 3.

We are both very good. I prefer to bump all day - he likes them but more of a "I'll hike through thickets for 30 minutes to get a nice pow line". I tend to last longer than him and tire less - so he knows I'll ditch him if needed. We have to swap off kid stuff based on who has less days or negotiates better lmao. But we can ski the same stuff and it's a wonderful thing. In some ways I'm more die hard - as he gets just as much of a thrill in DH mt biking - whereas I love Mt biking but not nearly as much pass skiing.

cdskier

there are very few women (at least in my NYC dating pool) who could hack it with what and how I am trying to ski. if I lived in Denver or something, no problem. but if I meet a woman in nyc who says she skis, she means that she skis groomers at killington 5 days a year.

Sounds about right for most of the women I've met in NJ that say they ski too.

in my experience down here, it's just been easier to date non skiers or casual skiers and then encourage them to do it more, with the understanding that if she comes with me on a ski trip, we'll drive together, eat together, sleep together, but for the most part not ski together. as well as the understanding that from thanksgiving to easter I will not be available on a weekend for almost anything.

I'd love to know how you find non-skier women that are ok with that...I mentioned simply that I ski quite a bit in the winter to one woman I had just met recently and her response was something along the lines of "how's that working out for you? Maybe that's why you're single. You need to realize there's more than skiing in life." That was as far as that went...was a bit floored by that response when this was someone that I had only just met that realistically knew almost nothing about me.