• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

I'd say 30 for a HSQ and 50 for a fixed grip is a good estimate.

I'm not sure of a HSQ in New England that has been fully replaced due to age instead of a capacity upgrade other than the Forerunner at Stowe.

The original Forerunner went in for the 1996 season.

I'd say the top lift priorities at SB now are Heavens Gate and Northridge. I'd put the Valley House replacement on the back burner until those two lifts have rock solid dependability

i disagree. The valley house quad is a vast improvement in both capacity and improving the terminus and traverse area, not to mention loading from the base. Heavens gate and nrx are fine capacity wise and the footings and towers are fine. They are machines and there is no reason they can't be made to operate reliably, although right now that can't be said. They need to get the nrx operating right. It is vital to being able to efficiently ski the mtn. Without it, you're limited to doing laps off the summit (which was -27 when I got up there this morning) or going all the way down to the base for the gmx. Not efficient.
The hg actually hasn't had a problem this season, so maybe they have that one figured out, but the nrx is perplexing. One thing after another.

canobie#1

Even on busy days the valley house double gets very little attention from the guests. They should get the terminal to load at the bottom. Walking up that hill sucks.
I think heavens gate needs to be replaced first. Preferably a high capacity fixed grip quad. Maybe add another trail from the top of the peak.

Last edited:

Newpylong

No they're not doing that. Same load, slightly different unload.

The reason why guests ignore it is exactly because it is a double. So that whole side of the mountain is underutilized leaving Super Bravo mobbed.

PS here is a throwback picture :)
http://www.chairlift.org/pics/sb/sb20.jpg

Heavens Gate and North Ridge don't to be replaced, they just need root cause fixes.

Last edited:

gostan

I ski the VH Double all the time. one trip up Bravo and never walk up the hill. When Bravo is cold and the wind is coming from the wrong direction VH is the way to go. And there is really little time difference in the trip up compared to the combination of going up Bravo & skiing the traverse. Personally, i wish that they would leave the unload where it is, but if they can permot the change, I do understand the need.

Plowboy

No they're not doing that. Same load, slightly different unload.

The reason why guests ignore it is exactly because it is a double. So that whole side of the mountain is underutilized leaving Super Bravo mobbed.

PS here is a throwback picture :)
http://www.chairlift.org/pics/sb/sb20.jpg

Not same load according to this from Win (SkiMRV).

"The plan is to take down the two MTN ops buildings downhill of the mushroom. There is a water plant that would remain but the rest of the area would maintain a retaining wall near where the existing foundation is and the area filled in with dirt and seeded. Loading would be approximately the middle of the mountain operations building. It would be spaced so as not to interfere with Bravo corral and the ski passage way from Gondolier past Bravo. it would provide great uphill out of the area."

"The only potential issue is that it mayl be closer than 50 feet from the Claybrook stream bank which is not allowed under the current ANR guidelines. Our position is we are grandfathered due to the existing building and we will be improving the areas because we will have less impermeable surfaces there. In our opinion is really will be environmentally better. This is very close to where the old Gondola bottom terminal once was."

The picture is the Spring Fling triple.

Newpylong

Not same load according to this from Win (SkiMRV).

"The plan is to take down the two MTN ops buildings downhill of the mushroom. There is a water plant that would remain but the rest of the area would maintain a retaining wall near where the existing foundation is and the area filled in with dirt and seeded. Loading would be approximately the middle of the mountain operations building. It would be spaced so as not to interfere with Bravo corral and the ski passage way from Gondolier past Bravo. it would provide great uphill out of the area."

"The only potential issue is that it mayl be closer than 50 feet from the Claybrook stream bank which is not allowed under the current ANR guidelines. Our position is we are grandfathered due to the existing building and we will be improving the areas because we will have less impermeable surfaces there. In our opinion is really will be environmentally better. This is very close to where the old Gondola bottom terminal once was."

The picture is the Spring Fling triple.

Interesting, that differs from the initial permit application.

Yep, the Spring Fling Borvig.

Plowboy

What I would do. Leave VH where it is...as is.....put a new lift from the bottom (below VH-Lodge to left) to the top of Spring Fling. Bury Stein's and Spring Fling, ski till June. Beers and BBQ in front of the VH-Lodge......Spring Fling !!!

Basically put a new Spring Fling chair in, but bring it down to Claybrook.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Spring Fling Triple is still going strong at one of the highest ranked amusement parks in the country. Knoebel's in PA.

http://www.knoebels.com/index.php/scenic-skyride

Cool. Check out those hangers and square towers.....

skyway-805new.jpg