• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain Death

antman12

I was on the mountain when this happened. Just terrible.
Condolences to the family.

BenedictGomez

Gee, he's from pretty close to where I live. Apparently this happened on the 6-pack & there was 1 other person on the chair.

Edd

I’ve historically been lax about dropping the bar but I’m trying to be better about it, especially riding alone. I’m too comfortable on the chair leaning forward a lot. Bad habit.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

I'm seeing comments in the article from nj.com where people are saying they heard he potentially had a seizure while on the chair and that resulted in the fall. Very tragic.

Smellytele

I'm seeing comments in the article from nj.com where people are saying they heard he potentially had a seizure while on the chair and that resulted in the fall. Very tragic.

I was at Bolton Valley a couple of years ago when some one fell from the lift because he had a seizure and didn't have the bar down. My 18 year old son was a head of me and saw it happen and was one of the 1st to come across him.

tumbler

Might not help for a seizure, but just put the bar down. I don't get it.

JoeB-Z

Lift bar down required in Vermont and enforced by patrol and lift attendants. Why not everywhere?

When on business in Colorado I ski often at Loveland which I really like. No lift safety bars and really high lifts in spots! I pay attention and get my weight back.

Ski lobby in CO must have a great influence.

benski

Lift bar down required in Vermont and enforced by patrol and lift attendants. Why not everywhere?

When on business in Colorado I ski often at Loveland which I really like. No lift safety bars and really high lifts in spots! I pay attention and get my weight back.

Ski lobby in CO must have a great influence.

"I don't want those damn libtards telling me what to do."-Republicans everytime the government want to tell people what to do.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
"I don't want those damn libtards telling me what to do."-Republicans everytime the government want to tell people what to do.

Lighten up Francis....Pa. did away with Motorcycle Helmet laws a few years ago, so they respond to some lobbies. I think it would be more an Insurance carrier thing anyway? How they don't have bars out west is curious.

In the 80's there were some slick clothing material I remember wearing that combined with snow guns pointed at the lift combined to make some interesting rides even with the bar down.

Piste_inyoFace

I hate when I get on the lift and someone wants to immediately throw the bar down when we are a foot off the ground almost crushing my leg; then same person wants to throw the bar up when we are 100 feet in the air and still like 5 chairs away from the end.

ThinkSnow

I hate when I get on the lift and someone wants to immediately throw the bar down when we are a foot off the ground almost crushing my leg; then same person wants to throw the bar up when we are 100 feet in the air and still like 5 chairs away from the end.
Do you realize that you DO have the ability to hold the bar up from someone "crushing" your leg, and also the ability to hold it down when you are uncomfortable?

BenedictGomez

That freaked me out too.

I think someplace else I skied out there didnt have safety bars on every lift, Arapahoe Basin maybe?

BenedictGomez

There are still lifts at Alta that lack bars. But they are dying off.

That must be another one I'm thinking of then, given I've skied both Loveland & Alta, but I feel like there's another 1 or 2 out west I'm forgetting (my memory is terrible). In any event, as eastern skiers, it's surprising to see lifts without bars.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That must be another one I'm thinking of then, given I've skied both Loveland & Alta, but I feel like there's another 1 or 2 out west I'm forgetting (my memory is terrible). In any event, as eastern skiers, it's surprising to see lifts without bars.

Some in CA.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone