• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Pass??

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think the 250 on Sterling was approved, IIRC. I thought I saw that on the net sometime this past year but I may be mistaken. I haven't heard any plans to follow through even if the plan was approved.

I can see a six pack working on Sterling, there is enough terrain to spread folks around and it is more protected than Madonna. I can't see a high speed lift going to Madonna summit. Not a chance on that happening practically. And definitely not enough terrain for that type of capacity as the expert trails are closed due to conditions frequently.

What I can see happening is a HSQ replacing Madonna II and the summit lift being cut in half with a new double similar to Castlerock going from the mid-station area to the summit. So the HSQ would service blue terrain almost exclusively and the double would service black terrain and it could be lapped without having to ski back down to the base. Top to bottom die hards might cry, but I think that would be a better setup (though there are some nice low angle trees below the mid-station :) ).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah I could not see a HSQ going to the top of Madonna...without some major terrain expansion/reconfiguration. And I think it would ruin the mountain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the 250 on Sterling was approved, IIRC. I thought I saw that on the net sometime this past year but I may be mistaken. I haven't heard any plans to follow through even if the plan was approved.

I can see a six pack working on Sterling, there is enough terrain to spread folks around and it is more protected than Madonna. I can't see a high speed lift going to Madonna summit. Not a chance on that happening practically. And definitely not enough terrain for that type of capacity as the expert trails are closed due to conditions frequently.

What I can see happening is a HSQ replacing Madonna II and the summit lift being cut in half with a new double similar to Castlerock going from the mid-station area to the summit. So the HSQ would service blue terrain almost exclusively and the double would service black terrain and it could be lapped without having to ski back down to the base. Top to bottom die hards might cry, but I think that would be a better setup (though there are some nice low angle trees below the mid-station :) ).

These are good ideas. I'm not even sure a HSQ would be needed on Madonna 2. A fixed grip would be fine, maybe with a conveyor like Spillway at Sugarloaf. I definitely agree with shortening Madonna 1 to start about a third the way up the hill. It's a pretty ruthless run out to wait in a big ass line for a long slow lift. If you could cut the ride time down by a third and the traffic by a third with the intermediates skiing off of Madonna 2, it would vastly improve the ski experience for the summit. Both less traffic waiting for the lift and less people hammering the snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why wouldn't that be popular ? Not a Stowe skier, but I fail to see the negative.

Francois

The two areas attract very different demographics of skiers. There is also the whole tree hugger demographic who would be against developing the corridor between Smuggs and Stowe even if it was simply a relatively benign interconnect such as a T-bar as I suggested.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The two areas attract very different demographics of skiers. There is also the whole tree hugger demographic who would be against developing the corridor between Smuggs and Stowe even if it was simply a relatively benign interconnect such as a T-bar as I suggested.

Yeah, unfortunately even though there is somewhat of an interconnect, the idea of any ski terrain expansion in Vermont is pretty slim. Not to get political, but it has gotten to the point where the environmentalists/NIMBY's are protesting wind development and even a solar farm. Unreal.

steamboat1

It's easy enough still to traverse from one to the other. Problem is getting a cheap ride up the Big Spruce chair or whatever they call it now days over to Smuggs. Just a little uphill hike from the top of the new chair. I do think they keep a sign on the Stowe side saying it's closed, not sure about the Smuggs side.

As an aside am I the only one who thinks they they ruined Big Spruce with the new chair not going to the summit eliminating easy access to the best terrain off Spruce Peak? I know it gets windy up the old lift line but geeze. Not to mention the view from the top.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
yes, I would've preferred the old lift terminus. across the street though, the new Forerunner being a 50 feet longer is much better. Easy to get to Nosedive now. It wasn't that big of a deal cutting around the Stone Hut, but most visitors weren't aware of that option and had to hike the little hill.

I'm torn on how I feel about the overall regrade and addition of snowmaking on Main Street. Though it rarely lasted long due to it's exposure, Main Street was often a great all natural trail before the "upgrade." That said, they buff that sucker out pretty sweet and it's a heckuva groomer now. I say this as someone who generally doesn't care much for groomed terrain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How do locals throw down that kind of cash?

If you work for a business that belongs to the local chamber of commerce, passes are available at a discounted rate. My last winter in town (2000-2001) it was $250 for a midweek pass with only Xmas and Presidents weeks blacked out.

I'm sure it's more now. I'll try and remember to ask my old friends what the current price is.

mlkrgr

If you work for a business that belongs to the local chamber of commerce, passes are available at a discounted rate. My last winter in town (2000-2001) it was $250 for a midweek pass with only Xmas and Presidents weeks blacked out.

I'm sure it's more now. I'll try and remember to ask my old friends what the current price is.

There's a reason why I'd only ski Stowe if I was going on a ski bus. At $77-$82 including lift ticket and transit costs, that's a hell of a deal when the window price is $88-$92 most days and you still have to pay for gas to get to and from there.

AdironRider

You want the best, you pay for it.

Id say its worth it compared to other mountains in the same competitive set. Bush isnt exactly cheap either, and way less value given there only improvements are real estate based pretty much over the last decade.

snoseek

So I can ski kirkwood, flatstar, heavenly, squaw and alpine meadows for half the price of Stowe?

Yeah I get it, cost more to operate, market price ect....

To me it sounds like a hype machine. I would rather ski Sugarloaf anyway if I was buying a pass here.

I do think Stowe is good times for sure, make no mistake about that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What do Aspen, Telluride or Deer Valet get for their season pass price? Those would be the appropriate comparisons for Western areas IMO.