• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sleeping in cars at a ski area

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
So in another thread we started talking about sleeping in cars, I thought it deserved its own thread. Is this safe? have you done it? Do ski areas allow it? I do not think I am at that point, but if it meant being able to ski more, I would love to try.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This has definitely come up before and I know we have several car sleepers on the board :)

I've done it at the beach in the summer. I would think it would suck in the winter.

skifree

slept in the lots at killington a few times. mid-winter can be a little rough though.

not sure it is allowed but the plow crew has always been cool. They usually just knock on the window in the morning and we get out of the way.

Smellytele

I have slept in a lot at Mt Snow before and also Wildcat. That was 20 years ago. At Mt Snow I was awoken by the beeping of the plows backing up. I moved at that point. Never had an issue.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
slept in the lots at killington a few times. mid-winter can be a little rough though.

not sure it is allowed but the plow crew has always been cool. They usually just knock on the window in the morning and we get out of the way.

Cool, I would like to do it, I would just need a really good sleeping bag. I can see it being very doable early and late season.

ScottySkis

In the past when I had a season pass at Killington when it was above 20 degrees at night I would sleep in Walmart parking lot in Rutland which was great because also had stop and shop in same parking lot both stayed open 24 hours and always bought breakfast at Stop and Shop, I research a lot and found out Walmart is okay with it, they never complained or called police. Drinking and Mary Jane :):cool: help me fall a sleep.

Last year was first time I tried again since Killington days years ago and it was one of the coldest nights on record last year at Gore I tried it was like .- 20 degree farenite it was to cold and I didn't have a very good sleeping bag, I didn't sleep. This year I am buying a 0 degree sleeping bag at Dicks and if it doesn't work I return it, but I hope it does.

twinplanx

Ironically, I purchased a sleeping bag for this very purpose. I have used it a K. & Jay. At K. they just plowed around us. Jay was a considerably colder night that required multiple heat sessions, this before gas went to 4$ a gallon... But we did have a killer breakfast at Hotel Jay & were able to gear up in the bathroom :) Either way not the most restful of nights :-(

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
I slept in the back of my old Explorer many, many times, but never during winter. I had an air mattress that I through in the back and it was actually pretty comfortable. If I had a similar set up with a really solid sleeping bag, maybe I'd consider it again.

bobbutts

Good bag is a must, I used to winter tent from time to time in Tahoe and was totally cozy in the -20 bag.

And also don't give yourself carbon monoxide poisoning.

mlkrgr

What a bunch of cheap bastards.

Yes; I am cheap but not cheap enough to sleep in a car. Either rent a hotel, or hop a bus to get you to the resort. To tell you how cheap I am, I call buying a day ticket at regular rates at MRG expensive vs spending $80 for a bus and not shelling out $$ for gas.

steamboat1

Yes; I am cheap but not cheap enough to sleep in a car. Either rent a hotel, or hop a bus to get you to the resort. To tell you how cheap I am, I call buying a day ticket at regular rates at MRG expensive vs spending $80 for a bus and not shelling out $$ for gas.

You should really learn to drive someday.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What a bunch of cheap bastards.

If you've got such high standards (as you most obviously do if you have the audacity to say anyone who sleeps in their car is a cheap bastard) then why are you a Killington skier? There's no village where you can buy your 50$ panties. The parking lot isn't paved. And there's a bunch of partiers being loud and having fun in the bar across from your $400 hotel suite.

Don't hate on the people who save every last penny to ski by saving 75$ on a hotel. They've got more loyalty to the sport than you've got, apparently.

mlkrgr

You should really learn to drive someday.

I do; and I will drive 2 hours each way to redeem a comp pass. I actually got a few comp passes to Waterville and actually made first tracks 3 times last season by waking up ridiculously early. Of course, you get a good crowd of 70 people lining up even on a weekday at White Peaks but you still hit a good amount of fresh cord for a few runs. What I refuse to do is pay $71 for a day ticket (weekend) to MRG when a bus runs to say Stowe for $80 which includes the lift ticket. Even at a $55 day ticket, it's tough to justify driving once wear and tear expenses are considered with one other person. This is about knowing how much your really saving once you think of the bundled price, and this is considering a sedan that gets 23 mpg. Plus, a good perk for holidays is that you're not lugging your equipment from a far away parking lot (but I understand this can vary upon the individual resort) and discounts off window rates are far and few between. A good example is Sunday River. At 9:15 when I went their on a December vacation week, the bus gets a spot right next to the preferred parking. People taking their car were already lugging their equipment a good 3x the distance I was at that time.

Only downside is you have to commit about 4-5 days in advance for the more popular days for Stowe; 2 days is usually sufficient elsewhere.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Well unlike most of you I live at least 5 hrs from the good skiing in New England.

Usually go for 3-5 days.

No freakin way am I sleeping in my car in the dead of winter.

For you guys day trippin have a ball.

Homey don't play tat.

Call it trolling, who cares?

And most of you sound cheap.

Not that you can't afford it.

Just cheap.

I call em as I see em.

edit: I probably spend way less for 5 days of skiing than you weekend warriors spend for the weekend.

And I sleep in a comfortable bed every night.

Last edited: