• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Summit 6.0 changes?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Change to Vemont or and Adk mountain for next year . K would and magic weekend and gore after we get mini platty day Friday when their open in jan this year. Hunter spring time no one is their snow piled up last year way in to end of skiing

I wanted to run multiple getaways this year at other resorts also but to be honest having two kids under two has taken up way more time of mine than I anticipated (a good thing ...) most of my non-work days are spent on the floor or outside playing with the kids. I just haven't had the time I wanted to try and coordinate more trips, I agree a VT trip would be nice (in addition to the summit at Sugarloaf).

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
No doubt the condos were probably snatched up by a bunch of people with 5 posts

I haven't yet posted the press release or posted in on Facebook / Newsletter yet, but I will this week, so make sure you get in there soon. I wanted to give the peopel browsing the forums actively first shot :)

wa-loaf

Where are you coming from? WE have people coming form NY and maybe even PA.

You'll never please everyone. And if driving from NH to Maine is too far for someone, there's not much you can do. Don't make him stop at any ski shops either! ;-)

BenedictGomez

Not to mention it is a hike! Central New England would nice some time.

No doubt the condos were probably snatched up by a bunch of people with 5 posts

Hmmmm.... Makes me wonder if, "the word is out" and the repeated predictability of having it in the exact same place year after year has turned it from the "AZ Summit" event into the "I live near Maine and can ski cheap that weekend" event.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah. Makes me wonder if, "the word is out" and the repeated predictability of having it in the exact same place year after year has turned it from the "AZ Summit" event into the "I live near Maine and can ski cheap that weekend" event.

We have the same conversation year after year but no other resort has stepped up to plate with what Sugarloaf offers us as far as a package deal.

If it doesn't happen 2014/15, I will definitely start getting other group events going for the following year; it's just been difficult for me to coordinate this year. So many hours in the day and all that jazz.

deadheadskier

Staff member
While I agree central New England would be nice, we do get plenty of folks from CT as well as NY area. I know folks from Cape Cod and Nantucket come.

I have sympathy for the drive from NYC. From central NH? Man up dlague ;). Not that far for you for a weekend.

MadMadWorld

Hmmmm.... Makes me wonder if, "the word is out" and the repeated predictability of having it in the exact same place year after year has turned it from the "AZ Summit" event into the "I live near Maine and can ski cheap that weekend" event.

There are plenty of lurkers that don't actively post.

Domeskier

I have sympathy for the drive from NYC.

Looked into flying up from NYC, but the nearest airports appear to be between 80 and 140 miles away, which would presumably require renting a car as well. Ah well. And I was looking so looking forward to giving a report on Satan's Stairway.

BenedictGomez

There are plenty of lurkers that don't actively post.

You really see this in the free lift ticket giveaways each year.

There'll be a post for "2 free Jay Peak" tickets etc... at 11:00am, and just a few hours later there will be dozens of "In" posts, many from people with < 20 posts in 5 years. It always amazes me and makes me wonder if there really are that many lurkers here, or if these people have RSS feeds set-up for contests and giveaways.

dlague

Where are you coming from? WE have people coming form NY and maybe even PA.

Relatively speaking not that far when considering NY and PA - Concord, NH - I did talk to my wife and her interest is peaked (likes parties) so we are going to look at our plans. We generally do a weekend at Saddleback so two weekends up there would be cool!

wa-loaf

You really see this in the free lift ticket giveaways each year.

There'll be a post for "2 free Jay Peak" tickets etc... at 11:00am, and just a few hours later there will be dozens of "In" posts, many from people with < 20 posts in 5 years. It always amazes me and makes me wonder if there really are that many lurkers here, or if these people have RSS feeds set-up for contests and giveaways.

At least the giveaways are tilted to the frequent forum users. Maybe we need to tie event pricing to post count ... :)

dlague

While I agree central New England would be nice, we do get plenty of folks from CT as well as NY area. I know folks from Cape Cod and Nantucket come.

I have sympathy for the drive from NYC. From central NH? Man up dlague ;). Not that far for you for a weekend.

oK ok - working it now! We are trying to decide whether or not it will be a kids or no kids weekend for us.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
It's a 10 hr drive for me but decided to skip Tux this year ,
I hope the snow is there , Later season is better snow bet
Sounds like an awesome time with like minded ski obsessed people!

SkiFanE

Just tossing this out there - not sure I could go to a summit for a few more years anyway (kid obligations).

But the reason it's at SL every year is they give the "best" package deal. So getting the "best" deal far from civilization drops alot of people out of the running.

Maybe take the "second best" deal next year...and it will be in a spot where more people can go that were not able to because of location. And those that can't afford second best, well, they skip the summit that year? My SR pass is goot at SL...but for some reason I'm just not in love with SL (duck to avoid darts and arrows) and would love something in VT instead. If I was serious about going, the difference in price probably wouldn't be so bad it would stop me - but a weekend at Sugarbush I would love!

Just my $0.02 - stop catering to the cheapskates, and start catering to those who don't want to go so far.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just my $0.02 - stop catering to the cheapskates, and start catering to those who don't want to go so far.

Last year the Summit had > 200 participants, I think.

The year before I did a package rate at Sugarbush and there were, I think, eight of us. :lol:

In all seriousness though if Sugarloaf keeps offering us this great deal, I think we wil continue to host the summit there, but that doesn't mean there can't and shouldn't be more trips offered by AZ with group rates throughout the year, and it's something I really want to coordinate. Including west-coast trips.

VTKilarney

Something slightly more expensive may wind up being cheaper when you factor in gasoline.

wa-loaf

Looks like the tier 1 pricing has already been used up so I don't think anyone really has a problem with it except a few people who wish it was closer. The fact that attendance is up every season as well is a good indicator it is successful. I think the key would be to develop a second summit elsewhere (likely VT or NY) and see how attendance is there and how much it cannibalizes the SL trip.

JimG.

Staff member
I think it would be nice to have it at another mountain.

There is alot to be said about infrequent posters...there are many in the Summit thread I never see post any other time. It would be interesting to change locations to see if the demographic changes or stays the same.