• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush AlpineZone Day: Friday, 3/21/08

Does Good Friday, March 21, 2008, work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Higher Summit Forecast

Ain't looking good from a wind hold standpoint:

SXUS41 KBTV 200807
RECBTV
NYZ028>031-034-035-VTZ001>012-016>019-202315-

RECREATIONAL FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
407 AM EDT THU MAR 20 2008

.THE HIGHER SUMMITS FORECAST FOR VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK...

.TODAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. PERIODS OF SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS
IN THE 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 40 MPH...INCREASING TO 35 TO 50
MPH IN THE AFTERNOON.
.TONIGHT...CLOUDY WITH SNOW SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE SINGLE DIGITS
ABOVE ZERO. NORTHWEST WINDS 40 TO 55 MPH.
.FRIDAY...CLOUDY WITH SNOW SHOWERS. HIGHS AROUND 10 ABOVE. NORTHWEST
WINDS 45 TO 60 MPH.

THE LAKE CHAMPLAIN LAKE LEVEL AT THE KING STREET FERRY DOCK IN BURLINGTON
WAS 97.84 FEET...AND THE WATER TEMPERATURE WAS 33 DEGREES.

$$

Looks like a lot of de-icing issues and some wind holds today. I think we need to be prepared for major wind issues tomorrow. If we get at least one upper mountain lift (HG or CR), I'm cool, but if the only option is Gate House, I would be willing to consider MRG. Not sure if the single is really all that much less susceptible to wind though.

I don't mean to minimize Win's generous offer to AZers in any way, and I really hope they spin something up top tomorrow, but many of us are traveling several hundred miles and want to ski the "good stuff". Thoughts?

madskier6

Bottom of Heaven's Gate, 11 am.

Should we have a Plan B in case the Super Bravo lift is on wind hold? Perhaps meet at the bottom of the Gate House Express Lift at 11 am but only if Super Bravo is on wind hold?

Edit: I just saw Greg's post. If there are wind issues & we meet at the botom of the Gate House lift, we can consider other alternatives.

Greg

Staff member
Should we have a Plan B in case the Super Bravo lift is on wind hold? Perhaps meet at the bottom of the Gate House Express Lift at 11 am but only if Super Bravo is on wind hold?

Well, if Castlerock is spinning, you can get to the base of Heaven's Gate via Bailout. Now that's assuming everyone can handle the terrain on Castlerock so perhaps a contigency is a good idea. Base of Gate House works for me. I almost initially proposed that, but I figured if people were skiing the upper mountain in the morning then they wouldn't want to ski all the way down to the base of the quads.

madskier6

If there are wind issues & we meet at the botom of the Gate House lift, we can consider other alternatives.

The more I think about it though, I don't think we want to wait until 11:00 to consider other alternatives (such as MRG). If there are wind issues at Lincoln Peak, I imagine most of us would not want to wait until 11:00 to go somewhere else.

gmcunni

I don't mean to minimize Win's generous offer to AZers in any way, and I really hope they spin something up top tomorrow, but many of us are traveling several hundred miles and want to ski the "good stuff". Thoughts?

I’m with you on this. Win's generous offer is what prompted me to make this trip but now that I’ve committed (vaca day @ work, 2 nights lodging @ GL and 10 hours of driving) I’d like to get as much out of it as possible. I have the luxury of skiing fri and sat. If friday doesn't look good @ SB i'm not opposed to skiing somewhere else. I'll just eat the $$ and ski SB on Saturday instead.

Sadly I don't know the area well and would look for advise from you guys on where to go on a windy day. Is MRG like Magic in that the lifts are well protected from wind?

Greg

Staff member
The more I think about it though, I don't think we want to wait until 11:00 to consider other alternatives (such as MRG). If there are wind issues at Lincoln Peak, I imagine most of us would not want to wait until 11:00 to go somewhere else.

Nope. I'm only up for a quick hitter; arriving late tonight and leaving after skiing tomorrow. I need to get as much on slope time as possible. If it looks like the upper lifts will be on wind hold past 9:30 or 10 am, I'm hopping on German Flats...

Is MRG like Magic in that the lifts are well protected from wind?

Not like Magic where the red chair is almost always wind protected. I do hear of the single going on wind hold, but I think it spins more often than say Heaven's Gate or Summit on a windy day. Part of it is wind direction, not just wind speed. I really hope Castlerock spins tomorrow. I'll just do laps over there.

loafer89

I meant to ask this, but can kids ride the single chair easily? Warren is afraid that he will not be able to lower the safety bar.

downhill04

I meant to ask this, but can kids ride the single chair easily? Warren is afraid that he will not be able to lower the safety bar.

Kids can ride. The lift attendents close the safety bar for them. It is still a sketchy ride for a kid though. Heck I was in my 20's the first time I rode that lift and didn't feel too comfortable on it.

Greg

Staff member

It's not your typical overhead safety bar. It swings out in front of you to your left. I don't think he'll have a problem with it. Just hang out and watch a few people load so he knows what to expect. Remind him to pull it in towards himself from the end of the bar so he has the most leverage.

downhill04

I will be in the lower level boot room at 8:30 to evaluate things...

I think I am going to pass on tomorrow. I was going to make it a day trip but I can't justify driving that far and not being able to ski the whole mountain due to wind holds. Have fun!!

Greg

Staff member
I think I am going to pass on tomorrow. I was going to make it a day trip but I can't justify driving that far and not being able to ski the whole mountain due to wind holds. Have fun!!

Bummer. Would have liked to ski with you again. Can't blame you though. Too risky for a day trip.

madskier6

My children have had no problem riding the Single. I'd suggest you have Warren ride ahead of you so you can see him in front of you if he has any issues. It should be no problem, however.

downhill04

Bummer. Would have liked to ski with you again. Can't blame you though. Too risky for a day trip.

If you are going to do any other day trips on a weekend let me know. I still have some free passes to both Mt. Snow and Stratton that I need to burn before the year is over. I would even be down for a session at Sundown.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It is a little freaky the first time, but I'm sure Warren will be okay. Just make sure he understands that the safety bar works differently and he'll be alright. And I do agree with having him ride ahead of you.