• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski the East...or not?

kingslug

In 23 years of going there..multiple times per year I can only remember 1 rain event. It was a bad one ..I found it the hard and easy way. ..Found it digging snow pit at AVI school..then crashed on it a few days later, backside Alta..but thats it.
Park City could sometimes get rain but Alta/Bird...nah

machski

Where in SLC will it rain?
Park City and both resorts there, Snowbasin too. The Cottonwoods are avoiding it for now, but forecastshave them in the mid 30's weds/thurs of the precip event. Even looked up into Jacson Hole, they are forecasting the same there. It's about right given El Nino has kicked up, Vegas just had back to back snowstorms and the most snow the city has seen in over a decade plus Flagstaff's record dump. Now the jet will swing wildly North in the rockies.

Been there when it rained at the base of the then Canyons, changed to snow from the Tombstone Express and above but it was a super wet, pasty snow. Only had a fleece jacket that day and was soaked in an hour. Also been to Steamboat and been rained on there as well. Mid season too, not on the fringes. Year we did Tahoe didn't rain (didn't do anything), but was warm midseason.

My wife and my schedule stinks that we are locked in to travel west on the NH vaca weeks only (She teaches). Even out West, you have to time it or miss out.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Going to need a *little* fresh or some warmer temps to get the ungroomed stuff and trees decent again in SoVT!! Some of the farm fields along Route 100 about 6 or 7 South of Mount Snow near the elementary school as I was just driving in!!

No filter on that sheen!!! MVIMG_20190222_165202900.jpgMVIMG_20190222_165226897.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

dlague

Park City and both resorts there, Snowbasin too. The Cottonwoods are avoiding it for now, but forecastshave them in the mid 30's weds/thurs of the precip event. Even looked up into Jacson Hole, they are forecasting the same there. It's about right given El Nino has kicked up, Vegas just had back to back snowstorms and the most snow the city has seen in over a decade plus Flagstaff's record dump. Now the jet will swing wildly North in the rockies.

Been there when it rained at the base of the then Canyons, changed to snow from the Tombstone Express and above but it was a super wet, pasty snow. Only had a fleece jacket that day and was soaked in an hour. Also been to Steamboat and been rained on there as well. Mid season too, not on the fringes. Year we did Tahoe didn't rain (didn't do anything), but was warm midseason.

My wife and my schedule stinks that we are locked in to travel west on the NH vaca weeks only (She teaches). Even out West, you have to time it or miss out.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app
The forecasts that I am seeing have the highs in the mid forties for Park City but has snow forecasted for Monday then dry for a stretch.

It if funny how different Colorado is. This coming week is dry but snowing today and tomorrow. Next storms are forecasted for next weekend.

Open snow is predicting the following for Utah and it is kind of similar to Colorado and they are generally pretty good.

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/utah

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

The forecasts that I am seeing have the highs in the mid forties for Park City but has snow forecasted for Monday then dry for a stretch.

It if funny how different Colorado is. This coming week is dry but snowing today and tomorrow. Next storms are forecasted for next weekend.

Open snow is predicting the following for Utah and it is kind of similar to Colorado and they are generally pretty good.

https://opensnow.com/dailysnow/utah

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
Thanks. We'll see, still looks like it will get a but warm this week. Cottonwoods will stay white, just not sure about the PC side being lower elevation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

gores95

Thinking of coming up to either Gore or Stowe mid-March. Does anything look good on the horizon in terms of snowstorms?

machski

So far no rain in Wasatch, looks like that forecast changed. Bit warm and super windy today at Snowbird, don't try and tell me there are no wind holds out west. Tram is on hold and all of Mineral Basin closed today for wind. Small powder day (surprise) Monday with half a foot at Brighton, maybe more tomorrow at Deer Valley.

Note: rented a vehicle through National in SLC, standard SUV. They were doing an amazing job getting all skiers set up with 4x4's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

All set for Utah..rented an SUV but don't know if its 4wd..calling and asking is useless. When I go to Alta/Bird I'll just take the bus up if its not as they are citing people now.
Looks like snow everyday up there. JH got 4 feet..holy shit