• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUV for carrying skis

drjeff

Recent technology is designed to prevent accidents - not just looking at ways to make you safer from a crash. I laude the efforts. But I also get queasy thinking about people relying on them. I have blind spot indicator in my car - I don't stop turning my head each time I change lanes. But I'm sure some people do rely on it - so for that reason I'd prefer no one has it bc I don't trust it 100%. Mine won't work under <20mph and gives lots of false alarms - alert fatigue.

Edited bc somehow lost part of my very important thoughts on discussion and can't retype lol.

Agree with the accident prevention technology and the reliance on those systems secondary issues that they could create.

I just got a new SUV ( 2016 GMC Acadia) back in November that had way more technology in it than my previous '09 Acadia did. And it took me a while, and in some cases is still taking some time for me to get used to it.

I love the forward crash sensor that detects and monitors how close I am following the vehicle in front of me, and then both audibly and visually via a beep and a flashing red light on my dash alerts me if either that vehicle suddenly stops or my closure rate on it rapidly starts to decrease.

The lane change sensors, those started to annoy me, so unless I'm just mindlessly driving some road or am tired, I've turned those off as they kept beeping way to often for my tolerance level

The rear back up camera and crash sensor, I really do like this, but will admit that I still often spend as much time with my head turned looking over my shoulder as I do looking at the screen.

The technology is IMHO a step in the right direction for overall improved safety on the roads. It still isn't an "excuse" to rely on it exclusively over general awareness by any means though!!

ironhippy

The lane change sensors, those started to annoy me, so unless I'm just mindlessly driving some road or am tired, I've turned those off as they kept beeping way to often for my tolerance level

The rear back up camera and crash sensor, I really do like this, but will admit that I still often spend as much time with my head turned looking over my shoulder as I do looking at the screen.

The lane change sensors scare the crap out of me, what happens when the sensor is dirty or failing?

I've had backup cameras in a lot of my vehicles (including a big, lifted land cruiser) and I only ever used the camera for the last bit of parking, ensuring that I am not going to back up into something. I just treat it like another mirror.

VTKilarney

If the sensors are blocked the car warns you. I don't rely on the blind spot sensors. I treat them as a second opinion.

One option that I really like is the side radar that warns me if a vehicle is approaching when I am backing out of a parking space or onto the road.

Edd

I love the forward crash sensor that detects and monitors how close I am following the vehicle in front of me, and then both audibly and visually via a beep and a flashing red light on my dash alerts me if either that vehicle suddenly stops or my closure rate on it rapidly starts to decrease.

People seem to need these. I hope they get mandated if they haven't already.

Bene288

Man, does that read like a redneck bumper sticker. ;-)

These incidents may all be true, but it shows the danger of picking outliers to base an entire premise on. It's like the stories I used to hear about seatbelts being more dangerous because someone drowned when they couldn't unbuckle. You have to look beyond single incidents and look at things as a whole. When you do that, there can be no doubt that technology has reduced fatalities and serious injuries.

I'll add being subjective to my ever growing list of redneck qualities!

You do it your way and I'll do it mine. Hopefully your auto braking, lane correcting, blind spot detecting vehicle never rear ends the back of my red neck sticker laden truck. And vise versa, may my brake pedal be quick when your traction control kicks on driving up a steep access road!

I'm sure there are many people who benefit from that technology, maybe you're one of them, and that's cool. Not judging you for it. (How un-redneck of me! I'll have to peel off my confederate battle flag bumper sticker in shame now!) However I do think it enables a lot of people to be very lax while driving and rely on electronics a little too much.

Stick shifts need to make a resurgence (not happening, I know), at least to teach people how to properly drive.

VTKilarney

I guess I should have put "j/k" in my comment to make it more obvious. Sheesh!

mikec142

All this car talk brings a question to mind. I was driving home from Sugarbush to NJ over the holidays and part of the drive was done in the snow on Route 100 and Route 73. Both roads are beautiful, but can be dangerous with twists, turns, and steeps. I was thinking that I would love to take a winter driving course if one was available for the right price in the NYC area.

That said, I love the driver safety features in my SUV. I used to drive a Volvo XC90 and it developed a traction issue and anti-lock braking issue while I was in VT for a long weekend. It made driving the car feel like it used to feel in the 80's. The guys at Volvo said that it was still safe to drive, but had less technology and (again) would feel like I was driving an old school car. I was never so scared driving. I felt like I could lose control at any time.

FWIW, I'm done with Volvo's. Had a 2001 S60 and a 2006 XC90 that both died exactly at 99,900 miles. Both required more than they were worth to fix them and had chronic maintenance issues.

BenedictGomez

I've had backup cameras in a lot of my vehicles (including a big, lifted land cruiser) and I only ever used the camera for the last bit of parking, ensuring that I am not going to back up into something.

I've only seen it in 2 vehicles, an Acadia and a Crosstrek. Hated it in the Crosstrek, because you had to look down at your radio. Thought it was cool in the Acadia, becuase it was in the rearview mirror, so it's sortof like a second option.

AdironRider

Self driving cars are at least 20 years away. Google has been doing this for the better part of a decade, and even they admit in pretty much anything else than perfect California weather, they are useless. Snow, rain, sleet they just can't handle. Besides, that is going to be more of a long haul trucker thing, than drive me around to ski thing in reality.

Another vote for manual transmission. Sure auto's are faster, sure they now get a few more mpg's (well with a CVT), but the average driver spends something like 5 years of their lifetime behind the wheel. I'd rather enjoy the ride. In a good turn of events, the USA is actually a big reason why manuals still even exist, because while a small minority, folks like DHS and I won't have anything else.

I think vehicles peaked in the early 2000's. Just enough tech to be useful (OBD ports), but nothing that is just going to break and fail like you see on cars these days. Give me cruise control, power windows and locks, and a stereo with aux in and I'm good. Oh yeah, plus the 6 speed manual and a locker, but that's just the Wyoming in me coming out.

VTKilarney

I'd say that the rest of the world is why manual transmissions still exist.

SkiFanE

I've only seen it in 2 vehicles, an Acadia and a Crosstrek. Hated it in the Crosstrek, because you had to look down at your radio. Thought it was cool in the Acadia, becuase it was in the rearview mirror, so it's sortof like a second option.

I love my backup camera. Since we have a small dog and child - it's great to be able to double check where I can't see. Our minivan has no camera and is blind from 4 feet and down - never surprised when I hear a minivan running over a kid bc you literally cannot see them - even with mirrors and head turning. Also my small SUV is dwarfed by trucks and suburbans in parking lots - so the fisheye quality of the camera makes it possible to see if something is coming down the aisle. and of course parking in tight places.

Mine me is seen from the tv in console - perfect place I was taught you should never use mirror to back up, so I don't. Still blackout the old fashioned way but nice to check a couple blind spots before backing up.

tummystix

Once you go back-up camera it's really hard to go back. You feel naked without it.

roark

longtime manual driver, grew up on curvy 2 lane highways on the CA coast. now primarily a bicycle commuter in Seattle but still have two cars: saab 9-3 (road trip, around town); and a brand new loaded subie outback (ski car, carry stuff and people). Both auto.

I was really reticent to give up the stick (traded in a mistui outlander awd manual), but for the driving I do now - and probably 99% of americans also do - the stick just doesn't make sense. If I still lived in coastal CA I'd probably have a manual miata (or nicer/sportier). For rural NE driving... nah. Not interesting enough roads to justify the mileage penalty and high density population (relatively speaking) means you're usually behind someone anyway.

The subie CVT is seamless and far more efficient than a stick. In the rare instance I need it I have the paddle shifters. The adaptive cruise control is phenomenal and I appreciate the potential warnings (both collision, and 'hey dipshit, the car in front is finally moving' beep). Lane departure in an urban environment is totally annoying but I could see the value on a long freeway drive. I did get the 6 cyl, which is super responsive and plenty of passing power and no noticeable drop in hill climbing ability with a couple extra adults. Mileage penalty is felt around town but not that bad if freeway driving.

To get back to the OP, no problem fitting 187s in the outback at a slight tilt with the 1/3 back seat down, allowing plenty of comfort for a 3rd person (and reasonable space for 2 getting cozy in the back). The seat releases very nicely from the trunk btw. And they appreciate the heated seats all around too ;)

roark

simple fact: driving isn't fun anymore. and that's not necessarily a bad thing (less deaths, esp. per mile traveled).

SkiFanE

I'd have to say it is the driver, not the vehicle. My 2105 has quite the get up and go. I am able to pass whenever, where ever, up hill or down. When I first had it, it was almost scary. A marked improvement over the 2014. (They made me an awesome trade deal on the 30th of the month). But if you get behind me on the way to the river, you'll see me scrupulously following the speed limit.

Do I now have to turn in my AZ Ski card????

Arghghgghgh - why do you do that?!?! For me and the rest of the Congo line behind you on RT 26 - since you obviously have loads of time to putz - could you please just pull over and let us all pass? You'll cool lots of tempers and boiling blood ;)

roark

ah man roark, you make me sad. lost another one :(

one step away from a minivan ;)
you have a mazda 3?

2015 outback 3.6 0-60 7.3
2007 mazda 3 touring (faster variant) 7.2

nothing minivan about the outback except the fact that I can carry both stuff and people in comfort.

deadheadskier

Staff member
you have a mazda 3?

2015 outback 3.6 0-60 7.3
2007 mazda 3 touring (faster variant) 7.2

nothing minivan about the outback except the fact that I can carry both stuff and people in comfort.

I don't view 0-60 as a good measurement of what makes a car fun to drive. Having decent pick up is only part of the equation. I like the go kart handling of the 3.

I prefer the Outbacks of five years ago before they became a SUV. The minivan thing was joke as in that's the direction you're heading. ;)