• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust III - 3/22/09

Madroch

I'll let Greg and co. go into detail later as I am on my way out, but great day. Serious talent on the hill from all over. My first comp ever, glad I did it, but played it way too conservative. Serious nerves and fear of not having the stamina to finish led me to a snails pace-- but I finished standing which was my only real goal. Next year I'll hopefully let it rip a little. Greg qualified, and JP, not sure who else.

Edit- Sorry for the wrong date.

Madroch

Don't know the winner. Sorry- was decking/tailgating with the one and done crowd by then.

Greg

Staff member

Randy "The Hammer" Grasso. And deservedly so. Unbelievable talent there today. Top skiers from both Killington (no Highway Star ;) ) and Hunter in attendance. More later.

Grassi21

all i have to say is the only person that might have drank more beers than me was madriverjack. great day.

gmcunni

NOTE - i left early, don't know who won.

WOW, what a day. The talent that showed up at Ski Sundown was amazing. I can't imagine how the judges could sort out the seeding but they did pretty good, they didn't let me get past the qualifying round so they knew what they were doing ;-)

The course was in good shape. For me it was as much an endurance test as it was a ski competition. my legs and back were aching.

AZ'ers that qualified included Greg, 2knees, JP, 180 and 181. 180 + 181 were in the top 8 i think.

Sundown should be proud, they put on a great event today.

mondeo

Greg, 2knees, Johnny Poach, CreekyKnees, 181 qualified. That's all the AZers I remember qualifying for the top 24 in the 18+ category.

mondeo

NOTE - i left early, don't know who won.

WOW, what a day. The talent that showed up at Ski Sundown was amazing. I can't imagine how the judges could sort out the seeding but they did pretty good, they didn't let me get past the qualifying round so they knew what they were doing ;-)

The course was in good shape. For me it was as much an endurance test as it was a ski competition. my legs and back were aching.

AZ'ers that qualified included Greg, 2knees, JP, 180 and 181. 180 + 181 were in the top 8 i think.

Sundown should be proud, they put on a great event today.
180 got hosed by some confusion. Completely hosed.

Greg

Staff member
I can't imagine how the judges could sort out the seeding but they did pretty good.....180 + 181 were in the top 8 i think.

Well, this is going to get discussed so I might as well put it out there, but there was one serious issue with the judging. Such is the game with a judged sport like competitive mogul skiing apparently. Luckily, both Bob Switzgable and Chris Sullivan acknowledge the screw-up. Anyway, 180's seeding was somehow lost, and unfortunately they couldn't seem to sort it out. Truly unfortunate. Alan is an incredible skier and has shown tons of support for Sundown this season. That coupled with the fact that Mrs. 180 was injured makes me really feel for the Belsky family tonight. Such good people who didn't deserve any of this. Those couple of items were the only negatives today.

Greg

Staff member
most impressive air?

Iceman spinning 3's all day. I saw some monster twister-spreads. A couple valiant efforts at triples. Hammer threw down what appeared to be a huge double daffy.

I had one sick ass no-ssack. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
all i have to say is the only person that might have drank more beers than me was madriverjack. great day.
:lol: Every time I saw him he had a different beer! :lol:

AWESOME day. Truly awesome. I'm so glad my babysitting didn't fall through (like it almost did) because I had a fantastic time. I didn't ski much, but hanging with the AZ crew, taking pics, and watching the phenomenal talent was a real treat. Radio Ron was HYSTERICAL. We talked a few times. And Randy "The Hammer" is a sweetheart. There was a little confusion at the end of the day when he was trying to secure a poster for me and Betsy (one of the awesome Sundown Lift Ops crew) dragged me into the bar, gave me a beer, and introduced me to everyone as being "with the Hammer". :eek: :lol: I did my best to clear that up. But it was cool; I told him and he laughed. Then I got to hang out with Meathead Jen (2nd place in women's division for the mogul comp) for a bit (which led to more confusion as one of the other women thought I mentioned that Jen was staying with me tonight :lol:). Awesome people. Awesome event. Awesome day.

I have probably 500-600 pictures to process out of RAW format so it will be a while. But I'll do my best. :beer:

gmcunni

Well, this is going to get discussed so I might as well put it out there, but there was one serious issue with the judging. Such is the game with a judged sport like competitive mogul skiing apparently. Luckily, both Bob Switzgable and Chris Sullivan acknowledge the screw-up. Anyway, 180's seeding was somehow lost, and unfortunately they couldn't seem to sort it out. Truly unfortunate. Alan is an incredible skier and has shown tons of support for Sundown this season. That coupled with the fact that Mrs. 180 was injured makes me really feel for the Belsky family tonight. Such good people who didn't deserve any of this. Those couple of items were the only negatives today.

that's too bad. i thought i heard the starter say something about mixing up bibs 713 and 714 and that it was fixed but i guess after i left it didn't turn out that way.

Is there any news on Alan's wife?

Greg

Staff member
who shot video? Can we expect some tonight?

Grab 4 or 5 beers and sit tight. What I have (including a post ceremony Hammer interview) will be up tonight, but it'll be a few hours.