• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Pass

cdskier

The Ikon Pass is unlimited at Stratton which matches Mt Snow and then you get Killington and Sugarbush for 7 days each.

I still say it is a better value to get either an unlimited K pass (which would include Pico access unlike Ikon) or an unlimited SB pass instead of Ikon if you're only using Ikon for Stratton/K/SB. Killington is only 20-25 minutes further than Stratton from the North Jersey area so I don't see the point of bothering with Stratton for that little of a difference.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
For the metro NY area skier (like myself, being in western CT) I'm on-board with Ikon not bringing enough to the table. Killington, Stratton, Loon, and SB are all that are within 4 hours of driving for me. SR and Sugarloaf are 6-7 hours away. 5 days at each for $700??? Max pass brought that and more with daytrip options like Belle, Windham, hell...I even drove to Mountain Creek midweek just to try it and got a powder night at Watchusett.

This thing really needed Pico on the card for me to seriously consider it. Even then the price point is pretty high and you have to use more than 3 days at each mountain I listed to make it worth it. I did not hit every place in the East that was on the Max pass...and had a lot of places I only hit once or twice...still got 20 days on the pass and I don't feel like it owed me anything.

BenedictGomez

If you are coming out of NY metro and ski only the east, I'd argue that none of the multi-mountain passes are ideal at this point.

Yup. Each year I spend about 5 minutes looking at them, because 5 minutes is about all it takes for me to realize I can do better with various individual lift ticket deals. And that holds even if I plan a trip out west.

KustyTheKlown

For the metro NY area skier (like myself, being in western CT) I'm on-board with Ikon not bringing enough to the table. Killington, Stratton, Loon, and SB are all that are within 4 hours of driving for me. SR and Sugarloaf are 6-7 hours away. 5 days at each for $700??? Max pass brought that and more with daytrip options like Belle, Windham, hell...I even drove to Mountain Creek midweek just to try it and got a powder night at Watchusett.

This thing really needed Pico on the card for me to seriously consider it. Even then the price point is pretty high and you have to use more than 3 days at each mountain I listed to make it worth it. I did not hit every place in the East that was on the Max pass...and had a lot of places I only hit once or twice...still got 20 days on the pass and I don't feel like it owed me anything.

full agreement that max was better. max was incredible. it was the greatest ski years of my life. ikon is best right now.

trackbiker

Yup. Each year I spend about 5 minutes looking at them, because 5 minutes is about all it takes for me to realize I can do better with various individual lift ticket deals. And that holds even if I plan a trip out west.

Does it appear to anyone else, since these multi mountain passes have increased, that areas are offering fewer deals elsewhere?

Jully

Does it appear to anyone else, since these multi mountain passes have increased, that areas are offering fewer deals elsewhere?

The mountains owned by Alterra and Vail definitely offer fewer to zero deals because they want you to buy the cheap pass. However, I don't think non-Alterra/Vail resorts are offering fewer deals. Sunday River for instance is offering a bevy of whacky deals, Sugarloaf sold 3 packs this summer (they rarely if ever do that), the Ride and Ski Card has expanded.

There may be fewer absolutely stupid cheap steals in recent years, but I think that is just the cyclical nature of deals. I doubt multi-mountain passes have anything to do with that.

machski

The mountains owned by Alterra and Vail definitely offer fewer to zero deals because they want you to buy the cheap pass. However, I don't think non-Alterra/Vail resorts are offering fewer deals. Sunday River for instance is offering a bevy of whacky deals, Sugarloaf sold 3 packs this summer (they rarely if ever do that), the Ride and Ski Card has expanded.

There may be fewer absolutely stupid cheap steals in recent years, but I think that is just the cyclical nature of deals. I doubt multi-mountain passes have anything to do with that.
Yeah, not sure if Loon or Loaf are doing it now, but SR you can buy a Threedom Pass (Funny, that's what the old Waterville/Loon/Cranmore pass used to be called) for like $209 giving you ANY three days during the season then 40% off weekday/non holiday and 20% off holiday/weekends unlimited. Almost like the old frequent skier card (but a bit more up front $ wise).

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

robocop

Rumor has it Alterra is purchasing Crystal Mountain, and will make the announcement in the coming days. Another resort in the Seattle area added to the Ikon pass!

BenedictGomez

I do believe that the absolute number of "great deals" has definitely decreased over the last 3 or 4'ish years, though I dont know all the contributing factors that make this so. That said, I do think that may well-be one of the factors.

My sense is it's more that there's been an overarching attempt recently to decrease discounts industry-wide.

abc

My sense is it's more that there's been an overarching attempt recently to decrease discounts industry-wide.
More than just "industry-wide". It's across most industries!

Welcome to the world of "data-driven marketing". Discounts are still being offered, but the focuses are changing. Many of the traditional/typical discounts disappear, replaced by different type of discounts...

Liftopia is a good example, it changes its pricing based on demand, instantly!

speden

I haven't heard much about Crystal. Would it be worth flying across the country to go there compared to some of the other Ikon resort options? Or is it more of a place for locals that live there?

machski

I haven't heard much about Crystal. Would it be worth flying across the country to go there compared to some of the other Ikon resort options? Or is it more of a place for locals that live there?
Not much lodging and no base village or anything like that. But the terrain is great. It is also PNW, so with that comes with a lot of snow but always a chance for weather to swing to what we deal with in the East as well. So if your goal is to ski a great location with great terrain, Crystal is great. If your goal is posh lodging, buffed slopes and dry/powdery snow, probably not.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

It is all about the snow year we have. If the Rockies are having a killer year, I see little reason to fly the extra distance for Crystal unless you're starved for variety.

Many years they have way better conditions than the more traditional resorts, especially early season IIRC

KustyTheKlown

crystal is amazing. it would be world class if it had lodging. but it doesnt. so it remains a seattle day trip spot. there are a serious lack of beds nearby. closest motels are in enumclaw, which is a solid 45-60 min away. there are a few houses and hotels on mountain but they book up fast. national park restrictions. they have a really fun RV/camping lot scene, due to the lack of beds. absolutely serious no joke terrain. southback and the northway. look at the trail map. it gets puked on, but the snow can be heavy/wet. its all about the rain/snow elevation line in washington.

flights to seattle were VERY cheap last year. alaska v delta price wars.

abc

Would it be worth flying across the country to go there compared to some of the other Ikon resort options?
Once you're on a plane, it doesn't really matter whether that plane lands in Denver or Salt Lake City or Seattle!

The extra hour (or two) doesn't really change thing in any substantial way. Places like Big Sky or Taos, which requires a change of plane to even get to Bozeman/Santa Fe, is actually "further away".

That said, the distance from the airport, or from lodging, will be felt more keenly.

jaytrem

flights to seattle were VERY cheap last year. alaska v delta price wars.

Seattle and Portland are usually some of the easier mileage flights too.

I'm 0 for 2 when it comes to Crystal. 1st time they had a massive snow storm, unfortunately the lower elevations had a massive rain storm that washed out the road. No big deal, headed to Canada a day early. 2nd time there was much better snow to the East so we only hit White Pass and headed towards Idaho.

x10003q

BenedictGomez

Did I miss the part about the financials regarding his acquisition price and his sales price only 1 year later?