• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Woo? A package for Marc? Well this looks quite nice...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Is it possible to get on with the project?
Marc, we wanna see progress!!!

I'll be too busy until maybe next week to put it together. Providing the headset cups don't give me trouble, I should be able to get it together in a few hours...

Plus I'm still trying to get my fork delivered from Fedex. That's been a weeklong saga.

Never request a signature if you're shipping to someone's house, and they work during the day. So annoying.

bvibert

Staff member
I'll be too busy until maybe next week to put it together. Providing the headset cups don't give me trouble, I should be able to get it together in a few hours...

Plus I'm still trying to get my fork delivered from Fedex. That's been a weeklong saga.

Never request a signature if you're shipping to someone's house, and they work during the day. So annoying.

What kind of trouble do you envision the headset cups giving you? Not going in straight, being slightly off in size, or??

How close are you to the Fedex depot for your area? I always end up going to ours and picking up packages that require signature. Of course it's easy for me since I work 2 minutes from both the Fedex and UPS depots...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm trying not to envision any trouble from the headset, but... I'll find a way to have a problem.

My local Fedex depot is about 20 minutes away. It's just the slightly annoying fact that corporate apparently is continually confused as to when the depot is actually open. So far they've been wrong twice.

Trekchick

Okay okay, I get it!
I am told I'm a tease, yet I produce a SS project and follow through, while you produce this project then say............."just wait"
When it comes to bike projects, foreplay is overrated :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The gauntlet has been thrown, Marc, can you meet the challenge?
Tick Tick Tick...........time's a wastin!

Haha, the gauntlet has been cast deep, I'm leaving tonight for a wedding in Charlotte, coming back Sunday night. I'll get it done though, don't you worry.

Like I said, the most time consuming part will be the headset. But fortunately, I'm pretty sure I can make a press, probably with stuff I already have around the house. I know I have a ton of threaded rod, and I think the bench grinder belt will hold on enough to get a few more minutes of use out of it.....

My grand dad had like 6 tubing cutters so cutting the fork should actually be clean this time, unlike the last time (which was with a hack saw).

And the fork already has the star nut installed, so that pita part is done.

Actually, the old vice in the shop might open wide enough to get the headset cups in just using that... I'll have to see.

But the handlebar and stem will be a direct transfer. Recabling will be the second most time consuming thing, but even that's pretty easy...

Trekchick

Haha, the gauntlet has been cast deep, I'm leaving tonight for a wedding in Charlotte, coming back Sunday night. I'll get it done though, don't you worry.

Like I said, the most time consuming part will be the headset. But fortunately, I'm pretty sure I can make a press, probably with stuff I already have around the house. I know I have a ton of threaded rod, and I think the bench grinder belt will hold on enough to get a few more minutes of use out of it.....

My grand dad had like 6 tubing cutters so cutting the fork should actually be clean this time, unlike the last time (which was with a hack saw).

And the fork already has the star nut installed, so that pita part is done.

Actually, the old vice in the shop might open wide enough to get the headset cups in just using that... I'll have to see.

But the handlebar and stem will be a direct transfer. Recabling will be the second most time consuming thing, but even that's pretty easy...

You'd have it half done if you'd do less of this >
words.gif
and more of this >:smash:

Ooof, that's right, you're an engineer! Nuff said!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You'd have it half done if you'd do less of this >
words.gif
and more of this >:smash:

Ooof, that's right, you're an engineer! Nuff said!

No, no... if I was acting like a typical engineer, I would have drawn out the assembly process in Pro-E to explain where I expect the difficulties to be....

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You may here my spaghetti buzzer go off in about 10 minutes. I had a nice 30 mile ride to keep my legs loose today in prep for this weekend. Then grocery store then I'll either vice the headset tonight or bring it to work tomorrow and do it in the Instron...

Lol, using a $20,000 machine to press a $80 headset into a $800 frame. Seems wrong somehow.

bvibert

Staff member
You may here my spaghetti buzzer go off in about 10 minutes. I had a nice 30 mile ride to keep my legs loose today in prep for this weekend. Then grocery store then I'll either vice the headset tonight or bring it to work tomorrow and do it in the Instron...

Lol, using a $20,000 machine to press a $80 headset into a $800 frame. Seems wrong somehow.

Sounds perfectly sensible to me.

Is it done yet? ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Correction, our Instron is actually a $100,000 piece of equipment.

And can do up to 30,000 pounds. Probably won't need quite that much though.

bvibert

Staff member
Correction, our Instron is actually a $100,000 piece of equipment.

And can do up to 30,000 pounds. Probably won't need quite that much though.

Don't hit the wrong button and crush your headset.. ;)

I wanna see a plot of the pressure needed to press it in...