• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

10 Best Ski Areas You've Never Skied

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
Ski Magazine just put out this article about the 10 Best Ski Areas You've Never Skied (or probably even heard of). I was psyched to see the list and see that I've actually been to one of them (and not the close one)! I followed the snow last year to Stevens Pass, WA. Awesome mountain... lots of pow

Anyone here been to any of their top 10? (I'm assuming Burke would be the most common here, but any of the others?)

Here's the list:
1) Shweitzer, Idaho
2) Fernie, British Columbia
3) Arapahoe Basin, Colorado
4) Powder Mt, Utah
5) Stevens Pass, Washington
6) Mt. Rose, Nevada
7) Kirkwood, California
8) Burke, VT
9) Grad Targhee, Wyoming
10) Saddleback, Maine

jimk

Have skied Pow Mow, A-basin, SBK, and Kirkwood. If the rest are like them, then most worthy of a visit. Pow Mow is weird due to disconnected, sprawling layout, but tons of acreage waiting to be skied. A good skier/boarder would never tire of A-basin even though relatively small compared to much of CO. Saddleback is really scenic with great and varied terrain. I told a Californian at Kirkwood how absolutely great I thought it was and he said, "you should see Mammoth." Common denominator among these four: skiing first; amenities, if any, a distant second.

jaytrem

I got 9 out of 10, should be 10 out of 10 after February (Grand Targhee). Other than Schweitzer, Saddleback and maybe Burke, I don't think anything on that list is that far off the beaten path. Especially A-basin, Kirkwood and Mt. Rose.

Hmmmm, how about...

49 Degrees North, WA
Silver Mountain, ID
Kimberley, BC
Red Mountain, BC
Whitewater, BC
Dodge Ridge, CA
Bear Valley, CA
Wolf Creek, CO
Le Massif, Quebec
Discovery Basin, MT
Angel Fire, NM
Castle, Alberta

Robbski

I've been to Schweitzer a few times and Mt. Rose once. I'd recommend them both.

Schweitzer is good size mountain outside of Sandpoint, ID a cool little city that is to hell and gone from any where. 1/2 hr twisty ride up the mountain to the resort. Decent on mountain lodging very limited nightlife at the resort. Mountain has nice variety and good cover usually.. Great views if it isn't foggy, not much in the way of crowds. Snow has fairly high water content. Bonus is that it is on the way from Spokane to inland BC resorts (Red, Fernie, Revelstoke etc.)

Mt. Rose is among the ski areas that is closest to Reno. It's a locals mountain with decent terrain. It was storming hard the day that I was there. The snow was great but the visibility sort of limited my abilty to get to know the place. Great alternative if you are in Reno or North Tahoe though.

Of your 10, the only one I've skied is Kimberley....wasn't impressed. Did it as a day, side trip while at Fernie. Kimberley was just too Eastern for me when I was hoping for additional western style or British Columbia type of terrain. I'm glad I experienced another area while in BC, but wouldn't go back.

jrmagic

I got 9 out of 10, should be 10 out of 10 after February (Grand Targhee). Other than Schweitzer, Saddleback and maybe Burke, I don't think anything on that list is that far off the beaten path. Especially A-basin, Kirkwood and Mt. Rose.

Hmmmm, how about...

49 Degrees North, WA
Silver Mountain, ID
Kimberley, BC
Red Mountain, BC
Whitewater, BC
Dodge Ridge, CA
Bear Valley, CA
Wolf Creek, CO
Le Massif, Quebec
Discovery Basin, MT
Angel Fire, NM
Castle, Alberta

I'm not really surprised given Ski magazine's target demo but for avid skeirs its a silly list. I like your's better.

jaytrem

Of your 10, the only one I've skied is Kimberley....wasn't impressed. Did it as a day, side trip while at Fernie. Kimberley was just too Eastern for me when I was hoping for additional western style or British Columbia type of terrain. I'm glad I experienced another area while in BC, but wouldn't go back.

We lucked out at Kimberley, had about 1.5-2 feet on a weekday. The place was pretty much deserted on the backside. It's a good fit for the list, but yeah, now that you mention it, the terrain could be compared to eastern type places. No open bowls or anything super steep. Never the less I enjoyed both the mountain and the town. Had some great chicken wings while watching the big curling championships!!!

Smellytele

Hmmmm, how about...

49 Degrees North, WA
Silver Mountain, ID
Kimberley, BC
Red Mountain, BC
Whitewater, BC
Dodge Ridge, CA
Bear Valley, CA
Wolf Creek, CO
Le Massif, Quebec
Discovery Basin, MT
Angel Fire, NM