• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2012 Closings

MadPadraic

Been checking around at NH areas...Sunapee, Gunstock, and Pats Peak are hanging in there although Pats Peak is going fast. I'm actually surprised that they have made it this far. Crotched was very slushy on Saturday but they could have stayed open with the coverage they had. Don't blame them but it's interesting how they closed but Pats Peak didn't.

Crotched has never seemed very big into Spring skiing. Every single year we decided it's finally warm enough to do their midnight madness thing, and they've just ended it the week before.

BackLoafRiver

Bolton Valley

From BV's Facebook:

"Well folks, this is the most un-fun post of the season. The warm temps this week are causing our snowpack to rapidly melt and become part of the Joiner Brook. Thus, the last day of the season will be this Sunday, March 25th. Lift tickets for the final few days will be just $25 per day. Thank you all for a great season and I hope you get in another day or two before Sunday."

skizoo

Okemo very likely to close this Sunday as well, though I doubt an official announcement will be made for a few days.

jaja111

Another western flank casualty, Bristol Mountain's last day was today after stretching the WROD to the 100th day open.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been checking around at NH areas...Sunapee, Gunstock, and Pats Peak are hanging in there although Pats Peak is going fast. I'm actually surprised that they have made it this far. Crotched was very slushy on Saturday but they could have stayed open with the coverage they had. Don't blame them but it's interesting how they closed but Pats Peak didn't.

Skied Pat's today. Not bad coverage. They had lost a lot since I was there last week and they definitely will need to get creative, but I think they should be able to make it to the weekend.

Bostonian

Count Wachusett in the closed column.

"WE ARE CLOSED....UNLESS WE GET SOME NATURAL SNOW
We had a great day on Sunday the 18th with friends saying goodbye while the band was playing, the snow melting, the barbeque smoking and a few Wachusett Ales and Polar Seltzers were consumed... We just want to THANK YOU, our loyal friends and customers, for cheering us on as we worked hard for you. We had fun in spite of this being a terrible natural snow year with mild temperatures. We still have between 50% - 80% (declining as we speak) snow coverage on the trails... Still lots of snow considering this massive, hopefully once in a lifetime, heat wave. We will still consider re-opening if we get some late March natural snow! (You never can tell!) We hope you had a chance to enjoy the snow that we made. Folks told us that they were consistently surprised by the quality and quantity of the snow the guys made and groomed this year. Next year WILL be better. Stay tuned! "

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
That was kind of tounge in Cheek AZ, I'm cool with you.

Hey I mean no harm or Jinx on the season, Just passing the word.

IMO the season was jinxed by the October Snowstorm. Nature fought winter back all season to "balance" tings out.

See, you did it, you jinxed the season. I blame it all on you. The mountain staff out of work, poor Timmy having to have to go barefoot cause daddy's snowmobile business went under, hotels closing shop due to bad business, ski shops going under. All your fault.

Bostonian

See, you did it, you jinxed the season. I blame it all on you. The mountain staff out of work, poor Timmy having to have to go barefoot cause daddy's snowmobile business went under, hotels closing shop due to bad business, ski shops going under. All your fault.

All kidding aside... with the season effectively over (more or less), I wonder what the economic impact will be on the region? I hope no resorts/areas fold as a result of this crappy winter. The same said for local ski shops... I think I read somewhere that business at one shop was off 35% due to the winter that never was. Either way, this saturday i will try to make it out just to show my support to those still operating lifts.

SkiFanE

Snowshed & Rams Head are closed. Killington has no beginner terrain left at all.

Unbelievable. What a winter..still hopeful for some natural. But broke out the high heel sandels today anyway..if you can't beat em, join 'em...sigh. :angry:

SkiFanE

SR today - 90 trails "And you better believe we're not throwing in the towel early! We're going to keep skiing and riding into another six month season right through April. It's part of our commitment to you." Man oh man...if they can do that, they're miracle workers. SR rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jimmywilson69

I was awaiting for this post... :lol:

Hey if I have that much pull on the weather, I'd certainly make it snow year round. I am all for another Ice age.

Cornhead

SR today - 90 trails "And you better believe we're not throwing in the towel early! We're going to keep skiing and riding into another six month season right through April. It's part of our commitment to you." Man oh man...if they can do that, they're miracle workers. SR rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'll head to Maine next week...or New Mexico. Taos got 14" over the last couple days. It's supposed to be in the 70's this week however. Their website says more snow is possibly on the way. Decisions, decisions. I'm not ready to be done, damn it. Of course, I never am.;-)

SkiFanE

Maybe I'll head to Maine next week...or New Mexico. Taos got 14" over the last couple days. It's supposed to be in the 70's this week however. Their website says more snow is possibly on the way. Decisions, decisions. I'm not ready to be done, damn it. Of course, I never am.;-)

I'm halfway to taking tomorrow off and getting a last minute day in on Thursday...hmmmmm....