• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2022-03-27 Loon

skef

Resort or Ski Area
Loon Mountain
Date
Mar 27, 2022
Snow Conditions
  1. Packed Powder
  2. Cord
  3. Chopped or Crud
Day started very firm everywhere *except* Upper Flume which was really quite pleasantly carvable. A little later, on South Peak, Boom Run was good, Cruiser was boilerplate. Twitcher, Jobber, and Ripsaw skied better than the blues. Snow in slightly-more-than-flurry form started mid-day. Angel Street delivered. Lower elevations were mashed potatoes by 1.

DB6B225F-25E1-4C42-82E6-C34EAA35BDA1.jpeg
E6212AEF-854A-4378-9856-7F2925634822.jpeg

1FC04736-5E44-475D-80DB-47929440B9D6.jpeg2BEE27D8-156F-48AC-AB19-C36E5C0161DC.jpeg

JDMRoma

I was there on Friday, Pretty much had a little of everything. Started off the day with Rain, the Kanc8 came in handy for a few early morning runs.
Northpeak was cold and snowing, more like a winter day everything very firm. SouthPeak was the best, soft creamy turns .
By noon everything was in full on sun and the place was completely empty, ski on all lifts for the remainder of the day.
Pretty Amazing how much snow depth they have there, not much snirt or bare spots except down low on Southpeak !

thebigo

Was also there yesterday, I find your report generous.

Not sure I can explain it but I have yet to hit loon on what I would call a good day this year. I would not go near Loon on a mid-winter weekend or holiday and typically can only ski 9 - 1 midweek, have to be home to get kids off bus. Start by sampling everything at south, head over to 8 pack, grab early lunch/beer at bunyan, ski north until time to head back to south. South peak midweek has great cruising terrain with a kick ass lift but is more often than not rock solid in the morning. North is typically scraped off by the time I get there and everything off the 8 skis the same. Hopefully they run the new 7 bros during the week next year, i hate the gondola, may need to rethink the strategy and start at north next year. The lack of a full service bar is also strange, bar at babes is tiny and no food service at bunyan? Despite the complaints, bought a Boyne bronze for next year with loon planned as the midweek option; living where we do, with two young kids in seasonal programs, boyne is the only viable option for a second pass.

skef

Perhaps I should have said I went in with low expectations. I'd seen that Ripsaw and Angel Street were closed during the week last week, so I thought they were done for the year; I guess they were just saving them for the weekend, which I appreciated.

JDMRoma

Not sure I can explain it but I have yet to hit loon on what I would call a good day this year. I would not go near Loon on a mid-winter weekend or holiday and typically can only ski 9 - 1 midweek, have to be home to get kids off bus. Start by sampling everything at south, head over to 8 pack, grab early lunch/beer at bunyan, ski north until time to head back to south. South peak midweek has great cruising terrain with a kick ass lift but is more often than not rock solid in the morning. North is typically scraped off by the time I get there and everything off the 8 skis the same. Hopefully they run the new 7 bros during the week next year, i hate the gondola, may need to rethink the strategy and start at north next year. The lack of a full service bar is also strange, bar at babes is tiny and no food service at bunyan? Despite the complaints, bought a Boyne bronze for next year with loon planned as the midweek option; living where we do, with two young kids in seasonal programs, boyne is the only viable option for a second pass.
This was my first season with the NE Bronze, spent all my midweek days there and enjoyed them all. Once Southpeak opened Id always start there, lap everything there and head over to Northpeak to do the same. Really cold or wet days Id detour to the Kanc 8 for a few runs. Seems like Fridays are the new Saturday from what I have seen. Renewd my pass and upgraded to the Silver, wont see loon on a weekend but Ill certainly be spending some time at SR and the Loaf

JDMRoma

Perhaps I should have said I went in with low expectations. I'd seen that Ripsaw and Angel Street were closed during the week last week, so I thought they were done for the year; I guess they were just saving them for the weekend, which I appreciated.
Yes Ripsaw was listed as closed on Friday but was actually open and very nice !