• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3 1/2 days

teachski

Website
teachski.com
..until the year from H&$$ is over! It's been a rough school year. Large class sizes, poor administration (one inexperienced acting principal), lame duck superintendent. It can't get any worse, the only way to go now is up!

ctenidae

I've never been able to figure out how administrators and peons in the central office manage to get paid more than the teachers. Except, of course, that they're the ones who set the pay.

More power to you, teachski for taking on that noble profession. Some day, maybe, this country will realize once again how important education actually is. Probably right after the Indians and Chinese wipe us off the economic map, but hopefully before.

BeanoNYC

Yep! I'm on half days (Proctoring exams) until Tuesday then I'm done. My seniors graduated a week ago, so my grades are in already and I have NOTHING hanging over my head. Packed away my classroom posters and such this morning. I'm just hanging in there and waiting.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My Mom is done teaching on Friday. Good year for her. My brother will be teaching starting next year at our High School alma mater. That's scary IMHO.

SnowRider

one inexperienced acting principal), lame duck superintendent

Wow what if they found this! LOL I am off in 2 1/2 days. My school year (as a student) has not been so great either. Can't wait till its over.

SnowRider

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Truth sometimes hurts....I didn't say anything specific about either of them, only that one was inexperienced and the other is leaving. Our budget is another HUGE problem!

highpeaksdrifter

ctenidae said:
I've never been able to figure out how administrators and peons in the central office manage to get paid more than the teachers. Except, of course, that they're the ones who set the pay.

More power to you, teachski for taking on that noble profession. Some day, maybe, this country will realize once again how important education actually is. Probably right after the Indians and Chinese wipe us off the economic map, but hopefully before.

People generally don't want their taxes to go up. Eighty percent of a school district's expenses are salary and benefits. My wife and I are both teachers. We both knew going in we where not going to get rich doing it, but we do ok and we like what we do.

SnowRider

Truth sometimes hurts....I didn't say anything specific about either of them, only that one was inexperienced and the other is leaving. Our budget is another HUGE problem!

Ya I could say some mean stuff bout a couple on my teachers! I was just wondering, what school do you teach at? My dad is a teacher of Math.

SnowRider

teachski

Website
teachski.com
highpeaksdrifter said:
People generally don't want their taxes to go up. Eighty percent of a school district's expenses are salary and benefits. My wife and I are both teachers. We both knew going in we where not going to get rich doing it, but we do ok and we like what we do.
I didn't go into teaching to get rich either, but I would like to be able to keep a roof over my head! We have been in negotiations for 18 months+. The only offers that have been put on the table for us are actually pay cuts, loss of benefits, increased responsibilities, etc.

Not only can we not get a contract, we can't get a workable budget. There have been so many staff cuts in the past 6 years that the classes are huge. There are special education classes with 16-18 in them..with one aide sometimes, other times no aide. Other classes have over 30 in most cases. There is no music, little art, few electives...and the towns people do not seem to care. I spend more on my class annually than the average taxpayer in town pays. It's sad!

highpeaksdrifter

teachski said:
I didn't go into teaching to get rich either, but I would like to be able to keep a roof over my head! We have been in negotiations for 18 months+. The only offers that have been put on the table for us are actually pay cuts, loss of benefits, increased responsibilities, etc.

Not only can we not get a contract, we can't get a workable budget. There have been so many staff cuts in the past 6 years that the classes are huge. There are special education classes with 16-18 in them..with one aide sometimes, other times no aide. Other classes have over 30 in most cases. There is no music, little art, few electives...and the towns people do not seem to care. I spend more on my class annually than the average taxpayer in town pays. It's sad!

That is rough. We've been without a contract for over a year now, but we don't have the problems you do.

loafer89

We are leaving Long Island for the most part because the school taxes are killing us, right now I pay $8,800 in school taxes, and every year the town raises our school tax budget. To make matters even worse the school district is not good at all and we have had our son in private school all along.

Zand

I'm on half-days too now. Last day is Monday. Basically all I have left is an exam tomorrow (and out at 9:30) and a cookout Monday. It was a pretty bad second half of the year for me. First half was good with about a 90 average through all my classes, now I'm struggling to hang on to 70.

NYDrew

loafer89 said:
We are leaving Long Island for the most part because the school taxes are killing us, right now I pay $8,800 in school taxes, and every year the town raises our school tax budget. To make matters even worse the school district is not good at all and we have had our son in private school all along.

what district?

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
teachski said:
It can't get any worse, the only way to go now is up!
At least you don't teach in Athol. The town got a special bond through the state to balance this year's budget (and a financial watchdog to go with it) and just passed it's first override ever just to balance next years budget. They state says if they reduce services any more (ie cut even one teaching position) the regional school district will be taken over by the state.

At least Barre has a lame duck for a superintendent and not a jack@$$.
And yes, we will be home schooling.

BTW, congrats on making it through another year. Enjoy the summer.
Smitty

ctenidae

Little known fact regarding class size-
"Normal" class size is considered to be 30, right? Do you know why that number was set? You'd expect it to be because some studies were done, and 30 is the maximum number a single teacher can control and teach effectively. You'd expect there to be some good, scientific, educational reason for it.

You'd be wrong.

Class size is 30 because that's the biggest room that could be economically built at the time (early 1900's) without any pillars obstructing the room. 30 has nothing to do with education, and everything to do with construction and engineering. Makes you feel good about the ability of the education system to adapt itself, doesn't it?