• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Colorado question

amf

I know its not the NE, but I'm looking for some recommendations for a Colorado trip I will be making in early April. I need to be in Denver on the 15th, & thought I would give my daughter an early graduation present of a ski trip. I have never skiied Colorado in-bounds, so know little of the ski areas. Looking for something within a 3 to 4 hr drive of Denver that would have challenging terrain, but not necessarily a park, for a single planker (sorry to say, she's a boarder!). As I was planning the trip, I realized that all the western areas I like typically have long traverses to the good stuff that do not seem to be snowboard friendly. Thanks for any input!

blacknblue

amf -

Within 3-4 hours of Denver, you have a bunch of options: Winter Park, Loveland, Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, Breck, Copper, Vail, Beaver Creek, Cooper, and Steamboat. Of those, most will still be running chairlifts on April 15 -- probably all but Steamboat, Cooper, and maybe Beaver Creek or Keystone. Here the pros/cons:

Winter Park - best for those who like bumps. The best terrain requires a looong runout.

Loveland - little traversing, not terribly challenging terrain, but very fun and relatively cheap.

A-Basin - definitely challenging. Skiers/Riders alike hike to the best of it, but the rest doesn't require much traversing.

Breck - I think it's hard to get around and the challenging terrain requires a bit of traversing and/or an obnoxious t-bar ride. Not my favorite.

Copper - lots of fun and/or challenging terrain with little traversing (snowcat-accessed Tucker Mtn. aside). Maybe the best option for a boarder?

Vail - a little over-rated in my book. There is plenty of fun and easily-accessed terrain, but the famed Back Bowls are usually sloppy in the mid-April sun (they're south-facing).

Personally, I think Loveland or Copper would be best for a boarder looking to get to fun terrain w/o much traversing. Still, hard to go too wrong with skiing in mid-April!

FRITOLAYGUY

You might wanna check with some of those resorts, if i remember correctly while living there copper, vail, and a few other big names close in mid april due to alot their help being from other countries.

Robert Goulet

Go to A-basin. I'm a bit biased because I worked there last year but it and loveland have the best snowpack late season. Everything should still be open in mid April. In fact, we had more open in mid april than we did in Feb. Little to no traversing unless you hit the lower east wall. Pallivacini terrain is excellent with no traverse. it's right under the lift. Also a bunch of cool events in the spring including the A-basin enduro, which is fun to watch. Check their website. They get more snow than most places in colorado and stay open longer with more terrain. Lift tickets are cheaper too.

Robert Goulet

The photo of me to the left was taken on April 12 last year. Yes that's powder on a ridge adjacent to the Basin.

amf

Thanks for the input... helps me narrow things down somewhat. I know many areas on FS land close, at least officially, on the 15th due to environmental regs, but we'll be ahead of that. I had my daughter up in Tucks & down the Sherbie a few years back, & she's definitely looking up the ante.

ps - sweet pic, mr goulet!

amf

koreshot

If snow quality is your biggest concern, my vote would go to Loveland and A-basin.

They get more snow that most resorts in the Denver area
They have higher elevation that most in the Denver area (colder temps in theory)
Good portion of their trails are north and west facing

I haven't skied in either of those resorts but know a bunch of Denver dudes that love em for their consistent snow conditions. I have skied Vail and Breck a few times and based on those experiences, I feel that snow preservation is a problem along I70.

rotorite86

I have never been there for skiing, only Utah. But I will let you know that if you fly out of Bradley you can fly each way for just $99, strait thru to Denver. Coming from NJ that might not be perfect for it, but I figured I would let you know. This is through Frontier Airlines.

sledhaulingmedic

You might wanna check with some of those resorts, if i remember correctly while living there copper, vail, and a few other big names close in mid april due to alot their help being from other countries.

Actually, most of the April 15 clsoure dates have to do with their permits from the USDA/Forest Service.

FRITOLAYGUY

Actually, most of the April 15 clsoure dates have to do with their permits from the USDA/Forest Service.

I did not know that, my explanation was what i was told when i was there, and Rotorite is correct Frontier does offer those flights but be warned, the flight going to Denver gets in at like 930am, the flight coming back is a redeye, leaving denver i think at midnight and getting to Hartford after 5am..

rotorite86

You are correct:

http://flyfrontier.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=press_releases&item=1341

Denver - Hartford Begins March 2, 2007
Flight Number Departs Arrives Frequency
313 11:55 p.m. 5:35 a.m. Daily

Hartford - Denver Begins March 3, 2007
Flight Number Departs Arrives Frequency
314 7:35 a.m. 9:50 a.m. Daily

But still, for $99 each way, I will take it. I looked at other airlines and nothing was less than $400.