• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A couple of articles on the Quiros family and Jay Peak & Burke

Krikaya

Anyone who's skied Burke has to like it's terrain and layout. But I think the main obstacle to Burke's success will ultimately be it's location. It's sort of the Ragged Mt. of Vermont. Skiers from southern New England drive by many better value mountains to get to Burke. Likewise, those coming from Canada drive right by Jay Peak to get to Burke. Jay Peak is exponentially better than Burke in almost every way. There has to be some compelling reason for it to succeed.

I've never mountain biked the area so maybe developing that will help, but pissing off Kingdom Trails is a very bad first step.

I've worked with my way or the highway arrogant ex military people and IMHO they make lousy businessmen. Ary appears to be the exact opposite type to make a success of a place like Burke. I predict he'll run his workers into the ground with overwork and then throw them away when they get burnt out. I've seen this situation in so many badly run companies it's almost criminal. For every Ary at the top there's an army of low paid workaholics slaving away at the bottom. Will they share in the profits if Burke is a success? I don't think so. I know work is hard to come by in the NEK but working for Ary must be torture.

Ok, my rant is done. I hope Burke stays afloat but I'll wager if it does succeed it won't be on Ary's watch. He's too much of a loose cannon(excuse the military metaphor). And I'll never call it "QBurke"!

Krikaya

Just realized that the existing Burke thread contains these two articles posted by Mlctvt. Is there some way my comments can be rolled into that thread? I guess this wouldn't have happened if I just used the search option. Doh!