• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A different Sunday River ski report, 2012-12-26

uphillklimber

Today was way different than previous days on the mountain. I had three grandsons with me! Fresh snow falling all day, after the groomer got done chopping up the ice and packing it down into nice snow!!!! Very nice conditions!!!

The two oldest went into lessons. They didn't like the idea at first but I told them those guys could teach them way better than I could. By the end of their lessons, they made some new friends and learned a few good things and were able to enjoy boarding better in the afternoon. They are asking for another lesson now.....

The youngest one went with me, being too young for lessons. They set me up with rentals for all three of them. I took the youngest up the Sundance surface lift (magic carpet). The oldest two were learning there also until noon. It was nice to see the progression.

At lunch, I ordered an 18" pepperoni pizza sliced in 16 slices. It didn't last long. Then I got a large chocolate cookie and a humongous brownie that also didn't last too long. Good fun and good eats= A great day!!!

After lunch, the two oldest , well, I pretty much turned them loose on the beginner super quad. They could go up, but they had to check in with me every other run. As the afternoon wore on, I suggested they go thru Who-ville, the mini park with some rollers. Of course, they loved that!

The youngest went from me strapping him in to his board and helping him on and off the conveyor belt to completely strapping himself in, and riding off the end of the conveyor belt, all in preparation for using the bigger lifts. He was learning skills needed to enjoy this sport. He started out going straight to actually turning and avoiding people and stopping. He needs more practice, obviously, but he made huge progress. I spent all day with him and did some 40 laps on the Sundance Lift. I did take him up the beginner quad once, but he had some difficulty exiting the lift, as well as going down the trail. Pretty much, I grabbed him by the back of his jacket, and he hugged my leg and locked his snowboard against my ski and I skied him back down to Sundance for more of that all day.

I was supposed to bring them home tonight, but with the roads such as they are, appointments got re-scheduled and I get them another night. I have to go to work tomorrow, but my GF will get my Subaru and take them home tomorrow after the roads get better.

It was just a great day today. My grandkids always seem to get the best ski days, and I never get to go on "my" trails, but that's okay. I suspect the day isn't too far away when they will be schooling me, they of the quick reflexes and rubber knees and no fear!

MadMadWorld

Grandkids make for the best ski days. Nothing better than skiing with family. It makes it that much more enjoyable