• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

a sad one in my industry....

Website
maps.google.com
i remember both sisters from the 70s....womens hoops was just taking off....Title 9??

Kaye Cowher, the wife of former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, died Friday of skin cancer. She was 54.

The news was first reported by the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and longtime Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette. Bill Cowher confirmed the news on Saturday.

Her illness was not widely known. The Cowhers have three daughters, Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay. All are basketball players, like their mother. Cowher released a statement on Saturday. It read:

"Sadly, my wife Kaye lost her battle with cancer on Friday. Kaye was such a loving and compassionate person and she was the foundation of our family. Kaye was always at my side throughout my career as a player, coach, NFL analyst and, most importantly, as a parent to our three daughters Meagan, Lauren and Lindsay. They will miss their mother dearly.

"Kaye was the rock that we could all lean on in the tough times. She was looked up to by so many people and I cannot say enough about what Kaye meant to our family. Her memory will never be forgotten. We would like to thank everyone who has kept our family in their thoughts and prayers and for those who have reached out to express their condolences. It is clear that Kaye touched a lot of lives."

Bill and Kay Cowher met in 1976 when the two were at North Carolina State. They married in 1981, when Cowher was with the Cleveland Browns. Cowher resigned from coaching the Steelers in 2007, and the family moved to Raleigh, North Carolina.

Kaye (Young) Cowher and her twin sister Faye were both basketball players at North Carolina State, Their team won the first ACC Women's title in 1978. Both went on to the Women's Professional Basketball League, where they played one season in New York and two with New Jersey.

Kaye and Bill's daughters Meagan and Lauren Cowher both played at Princeton. Lindsay plays at Wofford College in South Carolina. Cowher retired from coaching in part so he could spend more time with his family and watch his daughters play basketball.

Bill Cowher has worked as an NFL analyst for CBS since he left the Steelers, and has turned down several chances to return to coaching. His wife was a constant presence at his games, and always was waiting for him as he left the field after playoff games.

When Cowher resigned as coach of the Steelers, he said at his news conference: "To my wife, my soul mate and my friend: the sacrifice that she's made and the love and support that she has given me through the years, she's been my backbone."

Services will be held in North Carolina on Monday, the Post-Gazette reported. The family has asked for privacy and released no information on her death.