• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Ski Sundown question

Gilligan

I saw on Sundown's website that they offer free Nastar races on Sunday afternoons. Has anyone tried these? Is it very busy, i.e. is their a long line to wait for each run? How about lift lines on Sundays? Is there any challenge to the course or is it one you can just tuck the whole way down? It sounds like a fun thing to try but I am not sure if it is worth the trip.

planb420

Sundays are normally a somewhat busy day, as far as Nastar is concerned unsure of its congestion though I'm sure its not bad,Thursday's are usually not busy ...Nastar wise. Lift lines are never really an issue, especially if your a single riders...use the singles line and ita less than a 2 min wait. There is gates in the Nastar as well so its not a straight tuck down if thats what your reffering to...?

Domeskier

Last time I was there they had both slalom and giant slalom gates set up. Fastest time I heard was around 20 seconds, slowest around 44. Most we're around the 25-35 second range. At one point I saw a line of maybe ten people waiting to race, so maybe a five minute wait. Looks like they start about two thirds of the way down Gunbarrel, after the steep section.

Edit: the slalom gates were maybe 12 inches high, btw.

Gilligan

Sundays are normally a somewhat busy day, as far as Nastar is concerned unsure of its congestion though I'm sure its not bad,Thursday's are usually not busy ...Nastar wise. Lift lines are never really an issue, especially if your a single riders...use the singles line and ita less than a 2 min wait. There is gates in the Nastar as well so its not a straight tuck down if thats what your reffering to...?
Thanks!

What I meant by tuck/challenge is whether the gate setup and pitch of the hill provide enough challenge so that an average person cannot just hold a tuck through every turn in the course. Sometimes these courses are set up so easy that they are not worth doing.

Gilligan

Last time I was there they had both slalom and giant slalom gates set up. Fastest time I heard was around 20 seconds, slowest around 44. Most we're around the 25-35 second range. At one point I saw a line of maybe ten people waiting to race, so maybe a five minute wait. Looks like they start about two thirds of the way down Gunbarrel, after the steep section.

Edit: the slalom gates were maybe 12 inches high, btw.
I did not realize Nastar now had Slalom as well as Giant Slalom. You made me google it to be sure. Sounds very cool. Those short gates are called "stubbies" btw. They let you set up a slalom course without requiring special padding and guards like normal, tall slalom poles. I definitely will be checking this place out!

gmcunni

i haven't skied a nastar Sunday there yet this year but previous seasons when the racing was NOT free I did give it a try with my kids. there was never a wait. 1 or 2 people ahead of you MAX.

Domeskier

I did not realize Nastar now had Slalom as well as Giant Slalom. You made me google it to be sure. Sounds very cool. Those short gates are called "stubbies" btw. They let you set up a slalom course without requiring special padding and guards like normal, tall slalom poles. I definitely will be checking this place out!

Stubbies? Awesome! I usually hit Sundown for their moguls and don't have the courage to run gates on mogul skis, but it looked like a decent setup.

Gilligan

I skied it yesterday. They set up a free Nastar GS course. Kind of easy, but not bad. Definitely not fully tuckable by this guy! Everyone from snowplowing kids to "Spandex Monkeys" gave it a try. Most were like me -- middle aged farts with regular coats and recreational skis. It was from 3pm to 6pm. The first hours had maybe a 15 person / 10 minute wait. After that the lines were very short.

I wish they had the slalom stubby course set up, too. But overall it was still a lot of fun. I highly recommend giving it a try.