• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Abandoned, Removed, Unused and Unlisted trails. What mountains? What trails? How to Find them?

MidnightJester

This is a area I definitely lack knowledge in and where the older school you are the more trails you might know : ) Help the new and the wanting to know how to find the old, unlisted and abandoned trails and if they are still skiable and ridable?

A lot of mountains over time had trails then they didn't. Where did they go? Of course they are still on the mountain just little more grown in.

Best snow hunting to all : )

Starting trail I haven't done yet but looking forward to soon
The "Bruce trail" Stowe
Link takes you to a description and map to find starting point of the "Bruce trail" Stowe VT

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Best sidecountry in the East is at Yawgoo Valley, everyone knows that
Looking more for mountain trails that were removed or not listed for one reason or another and are still on mountain and mostly accessible by the actual mountain lift networks.

The Bruce trail does take you out sidecountry like though

MidnightJester

One of the better write ups for a trip report and finding trail markers and points of reference. It includes unlisted and abandoned trails : )

jaytrem

Wonder how Juggernaut is skiing these days?

Mount Snow had one ages ago called Wanderer. I think it would be the existing Deerfield Ridge trail. But on some of the old maps it looked like you would ski out towards Haystack and then back towards the bottom of Sunbrook. None of the super old timers I ever asked seemed to know if that was really the case. They did have it listed as CC, so not really meant to be a downhill trail. I see no sign of the ridge to Sunbrook portion, I'm sure if it existed it's long overgrown.

urungus

As mentioned by MidnightJester, I skied the abandoned top portion of Juggernaut on Sunday and posted a lengthy trip report/guide here:

urungus

This is a area I definitely lack knowledge in and where the older school you are the more trails you might know : ) Help the new and the wanting to know how to find the old, unlisted and abandoned trails and if they are still skiable and ridable?

A lot of mountains over time had trails then they didn't. Where did they go? Of course they are still on the mountain just little more grown in.

Best snow hunting to all : )

Starting trail I haven't done yet but looking forward to soon
The "Bruce trail" Stowe
Link takes you to a description and map to find starting point of the "Bruce trail" Stowe VT
Bruce is on my short list of trails to try next, looking for advice on best way to get back to Toll House chair from the cross country center where Bruce ends.

icecoast1

Mount Snow had one ages ago called Wanderer. I think it would be the existing Deerfield Ridge trail. But on some of the old maps it looked like you would ski out towards Haystack and then back towards the bottom of Sunbrook. None of the super old timers I ever asked seemed to know if that was really the case. They did have it listed as CC, so not really meant to be a downhill trail. I see no sign of the ridge to Sunbrook portion, I'm sure if it existed it's long overgrown.

The Ridge trail was still accessible as of 3 years ago when I was last there, definitely has grown in over the years but it's still there.

jaytrem

As mentioned by MidnightJester, I skied the abandoned top portion of Juggernaut on Sunday and posted a lengthy trip report/guide here:
Yeah, we were typing at the same time. I took a while while looking at old maps. Great stuff, except the falling in the water part! Thanks for posting that!

The Ridge trail was still accessible as of 3 years ago when I was last there, definitely has grown in over the years but it's still there.
Yeah, I think it still gets some decent use. I don't think they've run across since they sold Haystack, so growing in some make sense. The potential missing part would have went from the ridge somewhere on the way to Haystack, down to the bottom of Sunbrook. If it existed, it may have been no wider than the XC trail that leaves from he bottom of Sunbrook. So may not have been much to grow in at all.

MidnightJester

A Pretty good video of the "Bruce trail" Stowe VT and what it looks like for most the way. Bruce trail starts at .50 seconds but the beginning is fun too :)
Thumbs up to the dad for bring up a few great snow lovers and decent kids at first glance.

mbedle

Yeah, we were typing at the same time. I took a while while looking at old maps. Great stuff, except the falling in the water part! Thanks for posting that!

Yeah, I think it still gets some decent use. I don't think they've run across since they sold Haystack, so growing in some make sense. The potential missing part would have went from the ridge somewhere on the way to Haystack, down to the bottom of Sunbrook. If it existed, it may have been no wider than the XC trail that leaves from he bottom of Sunbrook. So may not have been much to grow in at all.
Is the trail they use to call the Ridge Touring Trail just the Long Trail? My wrong - not the long trail.

raisingarizona

I'm surprised there weren't any tracks on Juggernaut. I thought it would be popular with locals using nordic gear to escape the crowds.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The couple of times we did the Bruce, we saved it for the last run of the day and stashed a car at the Matterhorn. Skied on the edge of Ranch Brook Rd to get there. Apres beers then go retrieve car at the mountain after.

eatskisleep

Spruce cliffs at Sunday River used to be on the map. Not worth it unless you get first tracks though doesn’t hold snow well

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nobody ever skiied juggernaut more than once in there life.

The one and only time I skied Juggernaut was in highschool, high on mushrooms. Also the only time I've skied on mushrooms. Anyone who has ever tried mushrooms, knows that time gets way distorted. I thought we were on that trail for like 5 hours. Haha