• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advertise Sale and Watch the Line Grow.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
<Latest Andy Rooney imitation>

Been noticing lately what a silly mentality some folks have. We all want good price, myself included but the lengths people go to I find amusing.

Couple of weeks ago, Linens and Things announced a going out of business sale. They were dropping prices 10-30%, big freaking whoop de do. Best part is, all sales final. Now, I guarantee that anything they have on sale I can find cheaper elsewhere and if there's a problem I can return it. Damn, you can get a Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon easily. Yet, when I stopped in the store, there were very long lines. You would think they were giving this stuff away free. Me and my wife have been looking for curtain rods. I asked here if she wanted to stop there, answer, no. What happens if I get a curtain rod get it home and find hardware missing, No thank you.

Today, I go for a ride and see numerous gas stations selling gas at 2.01-2.03 per gallon in my area, no lines to speak off. Go a bit further and see one gas station with gas at 1.99. Well, there you had cars in lines of 10 cars or more, cones out on the street and causing traffic jams. Well damn, if you have a 20 gallon tanks, you could save a whole 40-80 cents on a fill up! :roll:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Today, I go for a ride and see numerous gas stations selling gas at 2.01-2.03 per gallon in my area, no lines to speak off. Go a bit further and see one gas station with gas at 1.99. Well, there you had cars in lines of 10 cars or more, cones out on the street and causing traffic jams. Well damn, if you have a 20 gallon tanks, you could save a whole 40-80 cents on a fill up! :roll:
I notice this all the time. Doesn't make sense to me. It takes a $0.10 difference to total a dollar difference if you buy 10 gallons. Not worth waiting for a buck, IMO, and usually price differences are very much less than $0.10 but closer to three or four at best.

deadheadskier

Staff member
...oddly, in my town, there are three gas stations. 1 is 2.21, 1 at 2.19 and the last 2.15 (cash). The cash place is always about five cents cheaper and NO ONE buys from there. The busiest is usually the Irving at 2.21 over the Gibbs at 2.19, which is less than a quarter of a mile away.

When you look at gas prices now compared to two months ago at $4+, it's kind of maddening. Supply and Demand my ass. There's no way the demand was twice as high two months ago. Commodity trading pisses me off. Having the privileged few traders gain while the majority loses like things were this past summer just isn't right.

Glenn

My time is $...

I agree. I'm not waiting in line to save less than a dollar on a 16 gallon fill up. I don't get people. Like the ones who will wait in line for hours for radio station gas promos.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
My time is $...

That's what I keep on trying to tell my wife when she tries to save a dime :lol:

Just yesterday we were looking at curtains, she's very picky. She found a pair she liked but they were too expensive for her, now, we've been looking for about a month. Basically my remark to her was, how much do you think another month long search will cost us?

dmc

I agree. I'm not waiting in line to save less than a dollar on a 16 gallon fill up. I don't get people. Like the ones who will wait in line for hours for radio station gas promos.

For people that have lots of time and no $... It's a good thing...

Our linear representation of events has become a commodity...

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's what I keep on trying to tell my wife when she tries to save a dime :lol:

Just yesterday we were looking at curtains, she's very picky. She found a pair she liked but they were too expensive for her, now, we've been looking for about a month. Basically my remark to her was, how much do you think another month long search will cost us?

In some situations, principle comes into play though, which might be the case for your wife's curtains. While time is money, I won't over pay on certain things if I know that down the road I'll get a better deal if I'm patient.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
In some situations, principle comes into play though, which might be the case for your wife's curtains. While time is money, I won't over pay on certain things if I know that down the road I'll get a better deal if I'm patient.

Down the road, yes, I agree. In my wife's case it's finding the right product at the right price. So looking for the right curtains is not an easy task, they're the wrong color, or the material will not hold up good when washed, or it will wrinkle easy. So a search could turn into a lot of miles and time driving to find the perfect curtains for $10-$15 less than the ones we already found, that is if you find them for less.

My shopping technic is very simple, look at ads, or go to stores that have similiar products, compare and go with the better price. In all fairness to my wife, curtains aren't an easy thing to shop and compare.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So are you suggesting that it's economically sensible to spend $10 to save 10 cents?

No I'm not, but I guess I am not understanding where you are getting the 'spend $10' part.... :-? I will skim through the posts again when I get a chance.

I was just at Target and the entire parking lot was filled..and most of the people there were morbidly obese..not GSS-chubby but get out of breath walking up one flight of steps fat...and they all had these dumbassed looks on their face with their mouths wide open...der der der