• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Airline Baggage - experiences with new rules on "no clothes in ski bag"?

BenedictGomez

Save that $150 and ski less??

No WAY!!

I don't live on principal like most folks.. I think about the fun I'm going to have and the more the better... my time is $!

Well, it works out to way more than $150, when you consider each bag is $100/roundtrip. Plus, the gas expense is a fraction of the $500-$600 per person flights.

I have limits though. For instance, friends I know drove from Northern Vermont to Vail. Yes, true, as a family they saved a ridiculous amount of money together, but it was 31 hours each way. I wouldnt have survived that!

Hawkshot99

You guys are saying you were charged extra for a ski bag. If you go on the carriers sites they list the rules of the bags. A ski bag does not fit within the guidelines for dimensions. It is oversize.

Here is a link to American Airlines baggage rules. You will see the bag can only be 62" long and has to be under 50 #'s. Unless you are on some short skis, that is oversized.

I flew Southwest last winter to Utah. I had my suitcase with all my gear(boots, helmet, clothes), my ski bag(2 sets of skis, and 2 sets of poles and some clothes stuffed in to keep the skis from smacking each other) and my backpack carry on. There was no extra charge for my ski bag with clothes in it.

BenedictGomez

You guys are saying you were charged extra for a ski bag. If you go on the carriers sites they list the rules of the bags. A ski bag does not fit within the guidelines for dimensions. It is oversize.

Here is a link to American Airlines baggage rules. You will see the bag can only be 62" long and has to be under 50 #'s. Unless you are on some short skis, that is oversized.

I flew Southwest last winter to Utah. I had my suitcase with all my gear(boots, helmet, clothes), my ski bag(2 sets of skis, and 2 sets of poles and some clothes stuffed in to keep the skis from smacking each other) and my backpack carry on. There was no extra charge for my ski bag with clothes in it.

Oversized or extra bag, either way it's a new revenue ploy.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt Southwest the last remaining "decent sized" carrier that isnt scamming bag fees?

gladerider

Oversized or extra bag, either way it's a new revenue ploy.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt Southwest the last remaining "decent sized" carrier that isnt scamming bag fees?

that's correct. southwest is good people :)

dmc

Well, it works out to way more than $150, when you consider each bag is $100/roundtrip. Plus, the gas expense is a fraction of the $500-$600 per person flights.

I have limits though. For instance, friends I know drove from Northern Vermont to Vail. Yes, true, as a family they saved a ridiculous amount of money together, but it was 31 hours each way. I wouldnt have survived that!

how much would it cost to Fedex your gear in advance?

All this stuff is moot to me - I'm platinum on Delta and Gold on American.. So I don't pay extra for luggage.. :)

I gotta get something out of all this traveling i do...

hammer

How many people have managed to carry their boot bags on the plane? I'll be going SWA and I'm wondering how my Transpack bags can fit in the overhead...

For family travel, SWA has become the airline of choice. With 4 of us, one bag each adds up to $200 extra in luggage fees for a trip. :x

dropKickMurphy

Pretty much all of the airlines count a a single pair of skis+a single pair of poles+a single pair of boots as a single item. You can have the skis/poles in 1 bag, and the boots in another, and it still counts as a single item of luggage. They allow the ski bag to be over the normal length limit without a penalty. The ski bag and boot bag together cannot exceed the normal weight allowance for a single piece.

So a ski bag with a single pair of skis/poles; a bag with your boots, and a full size piece of luggage count as 2 pieces total. Which is still free on SW

Technically, you can't have anything else in the ski and boot bags if you want them to count as a single piece. Regardless of what you got away with in the past, you are definitely taking a chance of incurring extra baggage charges if you pack clothes or extra gear into the ski and boot bags.

I usually carry my boots on the plane with me on the way there, and check the skis in. I stuff my empty Transpack into the main piece of luggage that contains my clothing. etc.

On the way home, I put the boots (and nothing else) into the Transpack and check it in along with the skis. That frees up room in my suitcase for any souvenirs, t-shirts, etc that I pick up during the trip.

Last edited:

mondeo

i always took that as only if you want your separate ski bag and boot bag counted as 1 bag then no clothes in either bag-for which they will now charge you 50$ for anyway, used to be domestically, 1 bag was not charged. now they charge you no matter what.

but if your ski bag is under 50 pounds, i don;t see how they can charge you an overage fee even if there is clothes in it. I admit, things may have changed since last year though and the Airline industry has become increasingly user unfriendly and money grubbing.

Last year, I was not charged going to Denver from JFK but they charged me for checking my bootbag on the way back. maybe the western airports are on the lookout. it was continental and they let me have a 1 bag allowance.

whats silly is that this is causing more people to bring even larger carry on suitcases and forgo checking anything-the aggravating thing is how the overheads are usually full when each person brings a carryon, a personal service bag(usually a womens purse or a guys backpack) AND a laptop bag plus an additional shopping bag with other items like food, ect....) and their coat.
By the rules for every airline I've looked at, skis, poles, and boots can be checked with skis and poles in one bag and boots in another as a single piece of luggage. The instant you put anything else in either of the bags, it doesn't fall under the sporting equipment exception and they can charge the bags seperately, and if it's the ski bag with clothes in it, as an oversized piece of luggage.

When I flew to Whistler this summer, I had no problem flying there, but had to explain the whole 2 bags, but one piece of luggage thing to the person at the counter on the way back. Difference was going straight to the counter on the way out and using a kiosk on the way back. It may just be someone that doesn't know the rules. If you do end up being charged, you might have success with calling the company later, explaining you regularly fly for skiing, and let them know you'll be taking your business elsewhere in the future. They'd rather have repeat business than a one time charge.

As far as money grubbing or being a profit center - you guys realize that airlines have been, at best, maginally profitable for the last three years and have lost money on the whole over that span? The luggage fees were introduced as a way to stay afloat while not alienating customers with increased ticket prices, despite spiraling fuel costs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
As said, the two times I have been out west, in March 2010 and December 2010, we have had no problems packing some clothes in with the ski boots and skis. And I mean only some..like a jacket and ski pants. We flew United, Delta, Southwest. We have used kiosks and gone to the counter on both occasions. Nobody asked, nobody looked. But again, we did not go overboard.

fdskier

thanks everyone for their recent experiences...it sounds like it can go either way.

in the past i had my ski bag packed with clothes, and a 2nd piece of luggage.
i always had my boots strapped through a loop of my carry on - a 'day pack' backpack..
that was before bag fees...

regardless of how i pack, it sounds like i am looking at 2 checked bags and baggage fees of $120 round trip...

have fun out there.
ski fast.

RISkier

How many people have managed to carry their boot bags on the plane? I'll be going SWA and I'm wondering how my Transpack bags can fit in the overhead...

For family travel, SWA has become the airline of choice. With 4 of us, one bag each adds up to $200 extra in luggage fees for a trip. :x

Last year we didn't really have any problems on Southwest. I had a Transpack with boots in the boot pockets. Didn't pack the middle compartment full so that the bag would compress. Wasn't a problem. Things seem to vary a lot by airline and we seem to be shooting at a moving target. I'd be very leery about checking boots. Especially on the flight out. Renting skis is one thing, renting boots...

hammer

Last year we didn't really have any problems on Southwest. I had a Transpack with boots in the boot pockets. Didn't pack the middle compartment full so that the bag would compress. Wasn't a problem. Things seem to vary a lot by airline and we seem to be shooting at a moving target. I'd be very leery about checking boots. Especially on the flight out. Renting skis is one thing, renting boots...
Thanks...did you just put the helmets in with the checked luggage?

RSTuthill

I generally don't pay to check baggage either due to my business travel. I check my regular bag and ski bag and carry on my boot pack which has my helmet, goggles, gloves, wax stuff, and inner boots in it. The outer boot shells fit into the external side pockets. Are you folks saying I can no longer carry that pack on? If so, that'll truly suck.

Btw, I was checking in at BDL last winter when Hannah Teter (IIRC) was checking in at the USAirways first class counter. They made her take all her stuff out of her snowboard bag and cram it into her regular luggage for an overseas trip. I was tempted to tell the staff that she was an Olympic gold medalist. Nice person to talk to though.

dmc

I saw the O2 masks drop down once when my buddy pulled his tele boots out of the boot bag to fit them in the overhead.. :)

Well maybe not... But when he pulled the dirty boots out - he got some nasty looks.. haha

Puck it

Boots, helmet, goggles, and everything else to ski goes on the plane with me. And even on threturn home. I do not trust baggage handlers especially at Logan.

Cannonball

Boots, helmet, goggles, and everything else to ski goes on the plane with me. And even on threturn home. I do not trust baggage handlers especially at Logan.

Damn, you must that guy I keep getting stuck behind in the security line! I carry-on as little as possible. If I already have to wait for bags (skis) everything goes in except sleeping essentials (Ipod & headphones).

dmc

Damn, you must that guy I keep getting stuck behind in the security line! I carry-on as little as possible. If I already have to wait for bags (skis) everything goes in except sleeping essentials (Ipod & headphones).

Me too - can;t be bothered.. I tip the baggage handlers...

Puck it

The bag is not that big. Slides right into the overhead. TSA has never had to open it. This is the only bag that goes on with me. I do not take the chance with my boots. I would not be able to ski without them. I figure everyday clothing is easy to shop for but ski stuff would be a royal pain.