• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alterra Buys Schweitzer

thetrailboss

Staff member
The buying spree continues. Note that the deal ONLY includes the ski operations and NOT the real estate development, which the seller is retaining.

machski

The buying spree continues. Note that the deal ONLY includes the ski operations and NOT the real estate development, which the seller is retaining.

So, basically like Vail's Stowe deal.

KustyTheKlown

i went to schweitzer during 2021-2022. awesome mountain. sandpoint is a chill little town.

this makes moving to spokane look ok :ROFLMAO:

thebigo

i went to schweitzer during 2021-2022. awesome mountain. sandpoint is a chill little town.

this makes moving to spokane look ok :ROFLMAO:
Have thought long and hard about relocating to the pacific northwest when the kids are out of the house. Problem with Spokane is average <1'' of rain combined during July and August. Northern New England average is around 6 - 7'' during that time period. I hate drought and for some reason wildfire scares the shit out of me.

Washington west of the Cascades would be good but there is no actual town remotely close to skiing. Hood river is a cool town but out due to Oregon income tax. If only there was a cool town between Crystal and White Pass. Going to be in Portland in a few weeks, plan to take a day and drive around south east Washington.

mbedle

Yep. I have to wonder if Alterra feels as jilted as Vail did with Stowe. My understanding is that Vail was peeved to not have a shot at the real estate.
I'm not really sure how much real estate they would have actually gotten. Spruce peak was pretty close to full build out except for the One Spruce Peak and some private residences. The Lodge was already sold and operated by a major chain. They might have been a little pissed they didn't get the Toll House base land, but I'm not sure how much development would be allowed down there given the fight that took place to get the Spruce development approved.