• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another Horrible Day @ Magic - 3/1/08

madskier6

OK so somehow I got forced to ski Magic on Saturday March 1. Let me tell you, I had a terrible day. :wink: :wink:

The mountain reported another 12 inches of fresh snow from Friday/Friday night. This on top of the over 12 inches from Tuesday-Wednesday's storm made it at least 2 feet of light, fluffy snow in 3 days. It was miserable! :wink:

There was too much unskied, cut-up snow on all the trails. I have no idea why Magic wouldn't groom out all the light, fluffy snow before the weekend crowd hit. I mean, don't they need to strengthen their base? At times, I was dealing with knee deep fresh snow on the sides & in the trees. It was such a horrible experience that at times when I was skiing, I burst out in uncontrollable laughter while making turns. I was on these fat powder boards & they forced me to float over all this soft snow. An awful experience.

The weather was terrible too. It was cold enough to preserve the character of all that damn soft snow yet there was no wind. This is New England after all & I expect to have biting wind in my face most times while I'm skiing. To top it all off, the sun even came out to add insult to injury. Then, in the last hour of the day, it started snowing again! I mean, c'mon don't they have enough snow already?

Also awful was the crowds. There was some big racing event going on & I still never had to wait in line for more than 30 seconds. I expect full lift corrals & 15-20 minute waits in line so I was bitterly disappointed with the crowd situation. I don't like skiing practically alone with all the solitude & quiet of the mountain to experience by myself. They were running both the Red & Black chairs so that caused the ski-on, ski-off problem.

The trails were in horrible shape. The worst run of the day was Master Magician to Heart of Magician to The Hallows. Way too much unskied powder on those trails & the pitch of that run is miserable. Sorcerer was in awful shape since few people had skied it in. All these soft powder bumps going down a nice falline. What punishment! I was forced to do Redline & Blackline twice each during the day. Not fun at all!

Anyway, you get the picture of what my day was like. Probably one of the worst days of this ski season for me! It was so terrible that I didn't take any pictures. I've read other trip reports about Saturday that do have pictures so you'll have to refer to them to see how bad it was at Magic yesterday. :wink: :wink:

Rushski

I'm really sorry you had such a bad day.

Maybe you could wait until there is no new snow for a couple weeks, everyone decides to ski the same Saturday, bare spots start appearing, a lift or two breaks down, winds kick up to about 45 mph, maybe some rain comes in and it all make a better ski day for you...

My pity goes out to you...

snow*angel

I'm really sorry you had such a bad day.

Maybe you could wait until there is no new snow for a couple weeks, everyone decides to ski the same Saturday, bare spots start appearing, a lift or two breaks down, winds kick up to about 45 mph, maybe some rain comes in and it all make a better ski day for you...

My pity goes out to you...

are you nuts! you just jinxed MAGIC! I don't know if you live under a rock but everything you just said has happened including the chair lift issues!

i loved this past weekend! i haven't seen fresh POW like that in a long time and I've been comming up to magic since I was a baby. That's 15 years! hell I even tryed Red Line today!

2knees

awesome jeff. pissed i couldnt make it back up this weekend but what the hell.

did you take Jiranimal with you?

madskier6

did you take Jiranimal with you?

Nope, no Jiranimal with me at Magic. I offered but he went to Sugarbush with a buddy of his on Saturday. He told me they hit first tracks on Rumble with 8-10 inches of fresh. Sounded real nice but I had pretty good conditions at Magic so I didn't feel that bad!

2knees

yeah, i'm sure neither one of you is exactly dissapointed with your choice of areas today.

as brian said, you suck.

snobababunny

I, too, suffered at Magic that day. Getting all of that snow off of my board was really tough.