• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anybody else get sticker shock in CT with their 2009 Health Care Insurance?

skijay

I just got a letter in the mail from my health care provider and my monthly premium is increasing $81.59 a month. That is a 24% increase from 2008 rates. The letter has the new rate with "Subject to approval of Connecticut Department of Insurance" next to it. In all of my years of being employed I have never had a rate increase like this.

I am considered self employed and this is my own coverage. I have had the same company since May of 2007 and my 2008 increase was $8 a month.

What is going on??? I have never used my insurance! I went online to check to see if there were any erroneous claims and there is just no claims. Am I bailing out the Charter Oak Health plan that the CT governor put into action in 2008? Is anybody else who lives in CT getting rate increases for 2009?

It would not be so bad but premiums are not deductible for state or federal taxes.

Glenn

Any chance you could shop around? We use a broker where I work. Our current carrier came back with a 22% incease. eek! That was AFTER a 19% last year. So the broker shopped around...and with a new carrier, we only saw a 3.5% increase. The company will absorb a 5% increase before passing the higher cost on to employees. To make a long story short, our insurance costs actually went DOWN this year.

drjeff

I get health insurance for my business through the Connecticut Business and Industry Association (CBIA - www.cbia.com). A nice resource foe small businesses(I'm guessing if your considered self employed that you'd qualify). Once you pay the enrollment fee(a couple hunded dollars as I recall), you get access to their member benefits, including a multitude of health insurance plans where basically you can pick and choose amongst many health insurance providers and plans that they offer from tradtional indemnity to HMO's to Health Savings Accounts. This year I think on average my employees kept their health insurance rates to within 5% of last years (each employee can choose a different plan/provider from any that CBIA offers).

skijay

I called my agent and I was not the only call he got today regarding the rate increases. My "employer" told me I should look into the HSA. It makes sense. I am going to wait for my agent to get me some rates.

There was a bill that Bush was suppose to sign for tax year 2008 that would allow people who pay their own premiums a deduction of up to $7,500 for single people and up to $10,000 for those with a family. The bill was proposed in 2007. I searched for info and it looks like it is dead. Am I wrong?