• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Apple's Business Model

Puck it

It works but it pisses me off at times. I have to buy a new iPad because ioS6 will run a first gen. I no longer get my work emails becuase the new MobileIron App will not run on the older ioS. Yes this is a first world problem. Rant out.

mriceyman

And youll love the new one when you get it lol

Sent from my iPhone

dmc

I gave my old iPad to my girl... She only uses it to surf the net and pull emails.. She LOVES it..
i have an iPad mini that i won from work...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
they usually have good resale value which is helpful at least when it comes to flipping them or selling them or whatever. so that's good.

Puck it

I am waiting to see if they talk about the Ipad 5 and buy after to see if the price goes down. I am buying a refurb anyway. The apple store site is down right now.

o3jeff

I noticed Bj's is carrying the iPads in their stores now, don't recall the pricing but they had the full size and a mini.

I picked up a refurbed iPad 2 almost 2 years ago and couldn't be happier with it

wa-loaf

Today is a phone only event I think. New ipads coming in October. I'd like a mini with retina display. Might upgrade phone as my battery life seems to have gone way down recently and a fingerprint sensor will be better than having to type in a code to unock the phone.

dmc

Today is a phone only event I think. New ipads coming in October. I'd like a mini with retina display. Might upgrade phone as my battery life seems to have gone way down recently and a fingerprint sensor will be better than having to type in a code to unock the phone.

I'm wondering if our corporate security will allow the fingerprint scan...
Right now I'm forced to use an 8 character password... Which is fine at work but problematic at Phish concerts... :)

But that alone would be worth trade in...

wa-loaf

The new phones look pretty sweet and some nice advances in the 5s. But at $300 for a 32g I think I'll wait another year with my 4s, maybe pick up an iPad when they are updated.

dmc

64-bit OS.... Sweet... that should speed things up considerably..
The A7 chip is a monster... Going to make everything faster for sure..
Wondering how the new graphics features on the A7 will speed up photos..

Remember when 64-bit was a HUGE deal for a PC...??

Looks like mobile is catching up with PC... Droids and iPhones are crushing it... Love this technology... :)

Edd

I'm curious if they'll allow more than one person access to the phone. Some folks will enjoy the absolute privacy but it could get inconvenient if the GF can't use the thing when I'm playing tunes with it and so forth.

Edd

The new phones look pretty sweet and some nice advances in the 5s. But at $300 for a 32g I think I'll wait another year with my 4s, maybe pick up an iPad when they are updated.

Going to see how the 4S handles iOS 7. If it becomes a dog then I can't resist upgrading.

drjeff

I'm curious if they'll allow more than one person access to the phone. Some folks will enjoy the absolute privacy but it could get inconvenient if the GF can't use the thing when I'm playing tunes with it and so forth.

Or parents checking up on what their teens are doing with their phones and friends ;)

dmc

From Apple.com
You check your iPhone dozens and dozens of times a day, probably more. Entering a passcode each time just slows you down. But you do it because making sure no one else has access to your iPhone is important. With iPhone 5s, getting into your phone is faster, easier, and even a little futuristic. Introducing Touch ID — a new fingerprint identity sensor.
Put your finger on the Home button, and just like that your iPhone unlocks. It’s a convenient and highly secure way to access your phone. Your fingerprint can also approve purchases from iTunes Store, the App Store, and the iBooks Store, so you don’t have to enter your password. And Touch ID is capable of 360-degree readability. Which means no matter what its orientation — portrait, landscape, or anything in between — your iPhone reads your fingerprint and knows who you are. And because Touch ID lets you enroll multiple fingerprints, it knows the people you trust, too.

dmc

Going to see how the 4S handles iOS 7. If it becomes a dog then I can't resist upgrading.

If the apps are being optimized for 64-bit... You may be having some issues in some places..

wa-loaf

If the apps are being optimized for 64-bit... You may be having some issues in some places..

They are keeping the 4s as the free phone so I'd think most apps will be built to handle both, excepting some of the cooler games that may be 5s only.

wa-loaf

And because Touch ID lets you enroll multiple fingerprints, it knows the people you trust, too.

I wonder if you will be able to set different levels of access? Like if I could hand the phone to one of the kids to play games and it would keep them out of IM and work emails.