• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

April 7-12 what Western Mountain area to ski???

gores95

I am planning to take my 9 YO daughter to ski for her first time in big mountain country. Choices are down to basically three areas. Already did SLC earlier in the year and I have done Colorado in the past as well. Want to try something different. Daughter can ski all blues and does blacks OK though neither of us do anything scary!

Whistler/Blackcomb
Lake Tahoe area (Squaw/Kirkwood/Heavenly/Homewood)
Mammoth

I know this is an eastern board but I was curious if anyone had any opinions suggestions for spring skiing. Looking for areas that have the best chance of good conditions and maybe even a snowstorm or two!

I already have plane tickets to Seattle for W/BC but that can be easily switched. A month ago hands down it would have been W/BC but CA has had a big last three weeks. What area is recommended for most reliable April skiing?

Thanks.

MadPadraic

I've never been to Mammoth, but I've been to both Tahoe and Whistler in the spring. Whistler is much more reliable and much much more expensive. The drive from Seattle isn't especially short or fun, so I would consider flying to Hollywood North (Vancouver) instead. Obviously Tahoe has a better shot at providing powder.

Tahoe has better restaurants and views.

gores95

I've never been to Mammoth, but I've been to both Tahoe and Whistler in the spring. Whistler is much more reliable and much much more expensive. The drive from Seattle isn't especially short or fun, so I would consider flying to Hollywood North (Vancouver) instead. Obviously Tahoe has a better shot at providing powder.

Tahoe has better restaurants and views.

We will be using awards points for air. I can get to Seattle or Reno but not Vancouver. You mentioned Whister is more reliable but Tahoe a better shot at providing powder. Just want to clarify at what Whistler would be more reliable for!

Thanks.

MadPadraic

By more reliable I mean Whistler will have lots of soft snow, and that the upper mountain(s) are worthwhile on their own. Call the mountains to see what will be open.

Personally, I'd rather fly to Reno and do the Tahoe thing.

wa-loaf

Kirkwood! has the highest base of the Lake Tahoe areas and keeps a lot more snow.

Rushski

Tahoe - Heavenly, Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Sugarbowl, Kirkwood and don't discount Northstar, Homewood and Mt. Rose - All great choices...

Talisman

For a weather proof plan: fly to Reno, if the Tahoe ski areas have the goods in terms of recent snow ski there if not drive further South on 395 to Mammoth. Mammoth has a higher base than most of the Tahoe resorts and holds mid-winter powder at the summit. Tahoe is really easy to book rooms at the last minute and Mammoth isn't to hard to find rooms mid-week.

MadPadraic

Tahoe - Heavenly, Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Sugarbowl, Kirkwood and don't discount Northstar, Homewood and Mt. Rose - All great choices...

Mt Rose was closed on my spring trip, which really upset me. It is right in Tahoe City, and looks like it will have the best lake view on the planet. Wow is it close to the water.

Sierra at Tahoe is another choice not to overlook if you are based in South Lake Tahoe. A day there would certainly add variety and save a few bucks.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Agree with Tahoe region. I just got back Sunday from Squaw and Alpine Meadows. (Sierras / Tahoe) The base is deeeeeeeeeep (6-8 feet last week alone.) Looks to me like it's going to be around for a loooooooong time at all these areas. Locals tell me the snow they've got right now is the lightest stuff they've seen in some time - it's usually mocked as "Sierra Cement." Me not know, it was heaven. Driving down the roads you feel like you're in a tunnel. There has to be 10-12 areas all within an hour's drive of each other. Even the "little" areas are pretty big compared to east coast. Choose and pick when you get there - go in/call a ski shop and ask who's got the goods - they're upfront about it (and dammit, they get to ski it every day!). That's what I did. Hotels in the area all have midweek ski and stay packages to many of these areas (and weekend discounts) which can save you big money. If you're a wanderer like me, you can ski a different place every day for a week at Tahoe.

Last edited: