• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Back to the King of Spring debate

skiking4

In the long run, that glacier on superstar is lasting til the snow falls again.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Riverskier

The King of Spring as defined by most on this site is the ski area that is the last one to close. Pretty sure that honor will be bestowed upon Killington this year. That said, I think Sugarloaf is hands down the best Spring skiing mountain in the East. Their snow preservation is unmatched. They are 100% open and completely buried right now. Yeah, they have above average snow pack right now, but I am sure many remember the 100+ inch April of 2007, and it is not uncommon even in an average Spring to be skiing natural snow trails in May. So by one definition, no they are not likely to be the King of Spring this year, but they are the King of Spring in my mind by offering the best Spring product.

xwhaler

The King of Spring as defined by most on this site is the ski area that is the last one to close. Pretty sure that honor will be bestowed upon Killington this year. That said, I think Sugarloaf is hands down the best Spring skiing mountain in the East. Their snow preservation is unmatched. They are 100% open and completely buried right now. Yeah, they have above average snow pack right now, but I am sure many remember the 100+ inch April of 2007, and it is not uncommon even in an average Spring to be skiing natural snow trails in May. So by one definition, no they are not likely to be the King of Spring this year, but they are the King of Spring in my mind by offering the best Spring product.

+1 Well said. Loaf and Saddleback are Kings of April-Mid May Spring and K is King after that by virtue of being last man standing. Both are well respected honors but I do think some attention should be given to the fact that the Western Maine big boys are both 100% open (trails and glades) on April 18th.
There's no losers here---we are all winners for the fact that if we so choose we can have late Spring lift served turns at one or multiple places in New England. Great for the industry for competition's sake and great for consumers.

SIKSKIER

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Sugarloaf no doubt. They are still running Timberline when they can, it's just that some windy weather has prevented them from running it certain days this week. Almost 100% open, all lift served, on the largest mountain in the East Coast. If you want to call Killington "King of Summer Skiing" that's great, but right now Sugarloaf has demonstrated that they are "King of Spring."

Some of the previous comments have really nailed it, by the way.

Gilligan

It's all lift served.The only hiking would be same as always in Bracket Basin.Midweek does have a few less lifts but most places do that.Lift served right to the top.

Even when they run King Pine and Whiffletree, Brackett is far from what I would consider lift served. With those lifts closed, as they are now, at least half the stated acreage is a lie.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Even when they run King Pine and Whiffletree, Brackett is far from what I would consider lift served. With those lifts closed, as they are now, at least half the stated acreage is a lie.

I would consider them lift served and definitely consider them eligible for the acreage count. Even if you have to do about 15 minutes of hiking, the lifts make a huge difference. If you want to call out the lowest part of Brackett Basin where you can't get back to the lifts (without Snubber running), then that is different, though.

JimG.

Staff member
The argument has always been who is the last to close. The amount of acreage open is irrelevant.

And there is another issue to consider. I would not consider an 8 hour drive each way to ski at Sugarloaf or Sunday River when they are less than 100% open. It makes no sense. To me, either may as well be in Colorado or California. So do I now include areas out west for consideration as the Kings of Spring?

Of course not. Because under those conditions anyone on the east coast loses. Whoever is that last one still open wins the honor, all this other semantic stuff is not relevant.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Every time I go it is closed. Skied, and enjoyed, Cant Dog many times. I know the area. Thanks for asking.

Everything that is accessible from the King Pine lift in Bracket Basin is also accessible from Skyline chair. 50% of Bracket's terrain, maybe more, is accessible via lift with no hiking required.

and you're welcome for asking :lol:

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Everything that is accessible from the King Pine lift in Bracket Basin is also accessible from Skyline chair. 50% of Bracket's terrain, maybe more, is accessible via lift with no hiking required.

Exactly, most of Brackett Basin's terrain is accessible to and from by lifts with no hiking required as long as you make the distinction between hiking and traversing.

Gilligan

Please explain to our readers how you get back from Brackett when the Whiffletree Quad is also closed. Please be specific about how long those traverses are. Thank you.

Next I bet you will tell me Jay should include the acreage from The Dip because it is just a simple hitchhike to get back.