• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best day out this year

A

Anonymous

With the 01/02 ski season quickly waning (and over in my neck of the woods), it's now time to reminisce. What was your best day out this season? Where was it? Who were you with? Mine was a few weeks ago at Jiminy Peak - 40 degrees, bluebird skies and 6-8 inches of powder...

Ahh...

Greg

Staff member
My best day was at Loon at the end of January with a couple of great friends. The mountain was in good shape and we were on our game in terms of our skiing. We skied hard all day. Not epic conditions but the company made it fun.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
tough one! i'd say 2/3 of my cannon days would qualify as tied for best day. runners up include a nice day at The 'Cat and my second trip to burke for their pond skimming. i had a great season overall. the only 'bad' day of skiing i had was my first day on skis at Killington mid-december. i leanred my lesson the hard way, no skiing, no matter how early, is ever worth putting myself through that cluster-****. :D

Greg

Staff member
My first day out this past season wasn't great either. A friend of mine and I met up with an associate of my buddy up near Lebanon, NH, and we headed off to Killington. It was mid-November and we didn't expect much in terms of terrain. It was in the high 50's and we basically skied around mud and dirt on the Glades all day until the guy we were skiing with took what we thought was a mild looking spill. Apparently his knee went through the 8 inches of slushy snow straight to the ground beneath.

We could tell he was in a lot of pain, but he decided to pick his way down to KBL, in lieu of a visit to Rutland Regional. We stopped at the gas station on the junction of Routes 4 and 100, packed his knee in ice, he took four Advil, and we drove him to his home in Southern NH.

Turns out he fractured the top of his tibia. He needed surgery and was out the rest of the season. I hear he's doing better now, but he was hoping to become a ski instructor this season.

It's too bad. He was a nice guy. Hope to ski with him again next season.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
it wasn't the snow conditions that bothered me my first day of the season at K, it was the amount of people on the mountain. VERY dangerous situations were occuring with essentially about 15 or so trails, but only one main vein that lead back to the K1 gondi.

there was an intermediate slope that bumped up near the bottom of the mountain right before the K1 (i dunno the name, it's a square and it was kinda narrow). in any case, my last run of the day it took me about 10 minutes to safely navigate the chaos of a 250 foot long trail. it was one of the few times i've ever been 'really' scared cause so few people could ski the conditions, and everyone that went up eventually had to come down that trail. it was really scary. even though the conditions were not 'that' bad and the trail was fairly easy for me, literally... bodies were flying every where.

i just wanted some turns, i ended up leaving around 1PM cause i no longer felt safe any where on the mountain. the carnage was not just limited to that one particular trail, but that trail was the worst. i'll never do early skiing again at a mountain i know will be crowded again. oh well.

A

Anonymous

my first black diamond

Relatively new downhill skier. March 23rd, the weather wa beautiful after new snow. great friends at Stratton in Vermont. if downhill were always like that.... i might do it much more. did my first black diamond the next day in similar weather. wow.

R

RJ

Best day of the season.

I had several good days this season, but the last day I skied had to be high on my list. It was April 6th, a day before my birthday, at Waterville Valley. The mountain was perfectly groomed and the snow was crisp enough so carving was effortless. There were relatively few people on the mountain so my wife and I got about ten runs in before the "Mommy Window" closed at 10:00am.

While waiting to ski down Tipper, I could see Mt Washington on the horizon. The sky was blue, the skiing was great, and I was with the love of my life. You can't ask for a better day than that!