• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Expert Terrain Pod in the East

JimG.

Staff member
I'm sure they do.

I just think the policies they have in place for them are lame. Definitely on my bucket list of eastern skiing experiences.

Lame not the right word, overly cautious and restrictive are better.

Slides are legit steep...name refers to rock slides. Not for posers and not for skiing on anything other than totally stable snow.

Brad J

I will narrow up area to the single chair from mid station to top, I know that leaves out paradise but the terrain is unmatched with the Chute and Fall line plus all the woods to Mid station. I realize this is mostly a weekday Pod

snoseek

I'll probably catch shit for it but when its good I really like white cap at Sunday river, when and only when all those dreamy trees are filled in.

cdskier

That list was in response to xwhaler's post of best lift (regardless of pod). All those lifts service in entire mountains. Castlerock misses the cut because it's a pod. It's definitely on the short list for the original thread topic though.

I'm thoroughly confused...I'd say CR lift does in fact service an entire mountain peak (of expert level terrain). What am I missing?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'll probably catch shit for it but when its good I really like white cap at Sunday river, when and only when all those dreamy trees are filled in.

Nothing wrong with that. Remember my first time at SR when I saw that side and thought "holy shit"

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

I was wondering when someone would put this up. With full length Chutzpah and Hardball now, White Cap is a blast. And whatever anyone thinks, Shockwave is one of the harder machine made expert runs in the east IMHO even when the natural lacks.

snoseek

Its also because its always completely dead over there

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Goat and Starr yes, National and Liftline are watered down from the originals.

I'm a big Lookout fan.

Only been to Stowe once, a three day weekend last year in great conditions. I actually found Lookout to be better than any of the Front Four. Goat was 10% snow, 20% grass, and 70% rock, all of this when the base was the deepest of the year. The top "rugged" part of Liftline was great...before the brutal grooming. Starr also had bad cover. National looked bad from the lift all three days, never did it. Meanwhile, I found this GREAT mogul trail under the double on the other side of the mountain.

To summarize, in my limited experience, I found the Front Four to be somewhat overhyped and didn't hold natural snow well. After hearing about the legendary Front Four for years, and having wanted to get to Stowe for so long, I was quite disappointed. But I found MANY other on-trail/off-trail offerings at Stowe that blew away my expectations, so I can't complain. Actually planning on getting there again next year :beer:

You can not lap it, but hands down the sketchiest terrain accessed off a lift is Timberline at Sugarloaf. The lines off the backside are not like anything else in the East. Fu#kin insomnia

WWF-VT

Castlerock, Stowe's Front Four, the MRG Single...meh. Everyone knows the best expert terrain pod in the East is Jackson Gore at Okemo with South Peak at Loon in a close second place.

Scruffy

Only been to Stowe once, a three day weekend last year in great conditions. I actually found Lookout to be better than any of the Front Four. Goat was 10% snow, 20% grass, and 70% rock, all of this when the base was the deepest of the year. The top "rugged" part of Liftline was great...before the brutal grooming. Starr also had bad cover. National looked bad from the lift all three days, never did it. Meanwhile, I found this GREAT mogul trail under the double on the other side of the mountain.

To summarize, in my limited experience, I found the Front Four to be somewhat overhyped and didn't hold natural snow well. After hearing about the legendary Front Four for years, and having wanted to get to Stowe for so long, I was quite disappointed. But I found MANY other on-trail/off-trail offerings at Stowe that blew away my expectations, so I can't complain. Actually planning on getting there again next year :beer:

"Goat was 10% snow, 20% grass, and 70% rock"

Just the way we like it, and I'm sure there was plenty of ice in there too.

That's part of the challenge, it's technical skiing. Anyone can ski it when it's filled in.

MadMadWorld

To me it would be Castlerock since there is only one intermediate option off of that lift and has great advanced terrain. For gnar factor it has to be M1. Freefall, Blackhole, Liftline, Robin's to name a few. Throw in all the off map stuff....it is pretty much everywhere and easy to find. Doc Dempsey's is a favorite of mine as well.