• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best or worst lie

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Ethically, I would never and have never lied to get out of work or other plans. I am pretty up front when requesting a day off from the boss (e.g. big storm coming in tomorrow and I would like to take the day off) or with friends and family (e.g. how about we reschedule our plans....). However, I do tell the boss that I will be careful which I guess is somewhat stretching the truth. I do try to be careful even though I do some pretty dangerous stuff!!!

Before I worked in the family business I would call into work really early in the morning when I knew nobody was around and leave a voicemail saying how I'd never thrown up so much and won't make it in. Then then next morning I'd put some snot of my face and fake cough alot and make dry heaving sounds..then I would end up looking like a trooper for coming back after only one day off. Make sure to use sunscreen to avoid goggle tan..

At my current job..if there's a powder day, I can take off last minute and if Vermont or somewhere out was going to get hammered with snow on a weekend..I could cut out early to beat the storm.

You can only use the above excuse once per year..

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I've always pride myself for being honest and as a matter of fact, at my last job a VP told me I'm too honest. It's served me well for close to 52 years.

Geoff

I've never needed to lie. "Powder Day" is an acceptable reason to take a last minute vacation day as long as there's nothing critical on my schedule. If it's a big powder day, a lot of people aren't making the office due to lousy road conditions.

I have blown off a day of meetings in Colorado to ski a day when nothing looked particularly interesting.

bvibert

Staff member
I don't lie, but I also never give reasons for not coming in. I just simply leave a message saying that I won't be in that day. If there's snow falling they know where I'll be, it's no secret.

I would never lie to family about going skiing.

Vortex

I work for skiers I don't get away with anything, but they understand. I don't work allot of compete weeks in the winter.

Hard to take a last minute day off, but I can take pretty much when ever I want with a few days notice.