• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best truly waterproof outerwear and gloves?

KustyTheKlown

this damp december saturday plus skiing in the rain last friday at sugarbush got me perusing the internet for better waterproofed outerwear and gloves.

currently i have an older version of this strafe insulated jacket. it doesnt list a waterproofing number, but it does say "Fully seam sealed, waterproof 2-layer construction with DWR (durable water repellent) finish provides dependable weather protection." in practice, i have found that this means that nothing gets inside the jacket - i and my midlayers are dry - but the jacket itself does take on water. it gets visibly wet and sort of baggy, and takes time to dry out. i want something that the water just slicks off of, and something that doesnt hold water

obviously (?) the answer is gore-tex. and im about ready to splurge on a truly waterproof jacket that i will get many years of use from.

any opinions? brands? specific coats? warrantys/guarantees? i'm looking for insulated, not shell. i pretty much only use my shell on sunny spring days. preferably plain black.

the $1000 arcteryx feels like overkill.

also interested in pants and gloves.

cheers.

Hawk

You pay for quality. My exterme weather arcteryx is great. I have found generaly that anything cheap just doesnt work. Except for the tradtional lobster boat gear. ;-)

KustyTheKlown

yea, i hear you. i'm just wondering about gore-tex options on the other brands i suppose, before ponying up for the arcteryx macai

but i just may find myself in the soho arcteryx later to try on for fitting :cool:

Razor

How about a gore-tex rain jacket to wear over your existing one in rainy conditions? Works fine for me.

abc

How about a gore-tex rain jacket to wear over your existing one in rainy conditions? Works fine for me.
+1.

If you don’t already own a Gore-tex rain jacket, you could use one anyway. Just get it on the roomy side so you can have some insulating mid-layers. I found if I stay dry, I don’t need that much insulation.

I’m also on the lookout for gloves. One that doesn’t let water in through the cuffs.

I have good luck with pants. Anything waterproof would do. But, durability is a different matter. The butt loses the waterproofness after a few seasons from the abrasion.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Gore-tex is still the gold standard. I wear Flylow and have for several years. It's not GoreTex, but is two layer with good taped zippers. I like their stuff and it has a 20k rating, which is plenty good for most weather, but still not quite as good as GoreTex. I still twice a year do a Nikwax tech wash in followed by a Kiwi Camp Dry spray finish to refresh the DWR. Ultimately though even if I had GoreTex, my desire to ski in anything, but light rain is pretty low. So, the Flylow is plenty good enough and usually a bit cheaper.

I stumbled upon this brand recently, which I think is a really cool concept. Custom made gear sewn in Seattle. It's probably about as good as my Flylow , but there are no deals because it's custom. Configured how I'd want the outfit, it would set me back about $1K for jacket and bibs.

Love the concept and that it's made here in the states

KustyTheKlown

I think Gore-tex is still the gold standard. I wear Flylow and have for several years. It's not GoreTex, but is two layer with good taped zippers. I like their stuff and it has a 20k rating, which is plenty good for most weather, but still not quite as good as GoreTex. I still twice a year do a Nikwax tech wash in followed by a Kiwi Camp Dry spray finish to refresh the DWR. Ultimately though even if I had GoreTex, my desire to ski in anything, but light rain is pretty low. So, the Flylow is plenty good enough and usually a bit cheaper.

I stumbled upon this brand recently, which I think is a really cool concept. Custom made gear sewn in Seattle. It's probably about as good as my Flylow , but there are no deals because it's custom. Configured how I'd want the outfit, it would set me back about $1K for jacket and bibs.

Love the concept and that it's made here in the states

i used one of their shells for a few seasons! quite liked it.

found my receipt. it was 2015. the pic in the email is dead now. it was allblack with green zippers and velcros. i had green pants and backpack at the time.

Boxtop Willie

From a gloves perspective....it's not high fashion but I've had great performance from a pair of Kinco lined work gloves treated with SnoSeal.
They wear like iron, remarkably warm and SnoSeal keeps the insides bone dry.

HowieT2

From a gloves perspective....it's not high fashion but I've had great performance from a pair of Kinco lined work gloves treated with SnoSeal.
They wear like iron, remarkably warm and SnoSeal keeps the insides bone dry.
2nd the kinkos. put the money towards your jacket pants. I prefer the kinkos gloves over my hestras. Just have to break them in well when applying the snoseal. see youtube.
I've had an arcteryx 3L goretex shell for years and love it. I think its worth the extra expense. When I ripped it on a rock (don't ask and totally my fault), they repaired it like new.
I got new pants last year which are 3L but not gore tex and I can't say they perform as well as gore tex. I still like the pants, but there were definitely a few times sitting on a wet icy chairlift where I was thinking that maybe I should have spent the extra 200 bucks for gore tex.

Keelhauled

I like Gemplers pigskin gloves a lot more than Kincos if you're going the work glove route.

kbroderick

You don't have to choose between Hestra and work gloves, just shop the Hestra work line. I don't feel like the value proposition is really there for the Hestra ski gloves--they're nice, but I've got Black Diamond gloves that were a lot cheaper on sale and are also pretty nice.

I did swap gloves at lunch today, from a pair of no longer waterproof Burton gloves to a pair of Atomic Savor gloves. The Atomic gloves actually work in a wider range of temperatures than I expected and did pretty well in about an hour and half of wet conditions today.

As far as jackets and pants: Goretex Pro (or whatever the most expensive version is now) seems to be the right answer for me. I've spent quite a bit of money on the stuff over the years, and almost all of it has held up on the value for the money. I've got Goretex gloves, too, but I tend to find that they're effective in damp conditions but not full on rain.

x10003q

I have been using a Flylow Roswell for about 5 years and i am very happy with it. It is my everyday eastern go to for temps from 10f to 30f. It is insulated and pretty breathable. I have skied it in heavy wet snow and it never wets out. Here is the current version:

I also had a Flylow shell that I used as my everyday rain gear/temps above 30f that finally wore out after 10 years. I replaced it with a Strafe Nomad shell last year. The Nomad is very breathable and does not wet out. The Strafe uses a type of e-Vent that works better for me vs Gore-Tex that I have tried.

There are a lot of different versions of Gore-Tex. You need to match the types to what will work for you. You can probably find what you need at a lower price point than Arc'teryx.

I have also had decent luck with Outdoor Research. I have a OR down insulated Pertex outershell coat for when temps are below 10F.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have been using a Flylow Roswell for about 5 years and i am very happy with it. It is my everyday eastern go to for temps from 10f to 30f. It is insulated and pretty breathable. I have skied it in heavy wet snow and it never wets out. Here is the current version:

I also had a Flylow shell that I used as my everyday rain gear/temps above 30f that finally wore out after 10 years. I replaced it with a Strafe Nomad shell last year. The Nomad is very breathable and does not wet out. The Strafe uses a type of e-Vent that works better for me vs Gore-Tex that I have tried.

There are a lot of different versions of Gore-Tex. You need to match the types to what will work for you. You can probably find what you need at a lower price point than Arc'teryx.

I have also had decent luck with Outdoor Research. I have a OR down insulated Pertex outershell coat for when temps are below 10F.

I have the Roswell and some insulated Flylow Pants for my cold weather setup. Very good products. Insulated without being bulky

For normal temps, their Quantum Pro jacket and Chemical Pants. Those I'm on like my 8th season and still going strong. Love em

They produce some really good stuff. I like the fit and the pockets and vents are well placed. I just don't think their fabric is quite at the GoreTex level. Good enough for me though.

kbroderick

For my money, Black Diamond is near the top of the list for getting Goretex gear without selling organs. Their MSRP generally isn't very exciting, but especially on end of season and past season deals, they are willing to offer pretty compelling discounts so long as you can find the size and color you want but the time stuff is on sale.

Edit to add: I've had a BD shell for at least five or six years now, and with seasonal washing and nikwaxing, it still performs well. My experience with other clothing from them has generally been good, although I'll admit that my Arc'teryx bibs are still my go to wet weather pants despite being over a decade old.

Kingslug20

I'm sticking with arcteryx...pricy but worth it.
Takes a beating in the woods as well.
Gloves require frequent water proofing..no matter which ones I've used.

KustyTheKlown

i tried on the arcteryx insulated one today. i found it a bit bulky and didnt love the chest pocket size/placement.

Kingslug20

I have 2..one has a little insulation..the other just a shell which is my favorite...it's beat to shit...I keep fixing it but a bit pricy to replace which is the problem with that brand.
Got to get them on sale..

Kingslug20

The shell has better pocket placement compared to the insulated one...