• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mt or Camelback tomorrow?

drdavidge

Just looking for some long easy greens and blues. Any idea who might have the better conditions for tomorrow?

tnt

I guess this is to late for you, but I was at camelback friday. All open but one trail, but pretty grim snow quality. Heavy slush over ice.

Better than nothing, and we had zero waits at lift, so still a fun day. But I'd maybe try blue….probably get the same thing though.

trackbiker

Just for future reference; If you're looking for blue and green cruisers, Alpine Mountain, Big Bear, or Jack Frost are better options with less crowds than Blue or CB on a weekend or holiday period and have less expensive lift tickets. CB only has a few greens from the top and they are narrow and get a lot of traffic. Nile Mile is like skiing on Rt. 80 at rush hour. Blue has more options but still has the crowds.

Pa. Patroller

I work at Blue and it was a mad house today.
We got 2" last night which made the skiing descent.
Lots of granular to be had still.

Rowsdower

I sort of addressed the same thing in another thread so I'll just repost:

The places in striking distance (1-2 hours) from home I've got are: Shawnee, Camelback, JF/BB, Blue Mountain and Mountain Creek. Of those I like Camelback the most. Shawnee is less crowded but smaller. I ignore Big Boulder because its just a terrain park. Jack Frost probably has the best snow in the Poconos, besides maybe Elk, but its small. It does have probably the only serious gladed terrain in Pa, but we rarely get the snow anyway. Blue Mountain I don't like. Personally I think their conditions suffer as they're at a lower elevation and further south. Plus I always get this depressing rust belt vibe when I'm there. Camelback sort of balances what you can get out of the Poconos: not the most vert but not too little, not the best snow but passable most of the time, not the best terrain but enough to keep you occupied. Anyway, just my take on it.

As far as crowds though, I would not recommend Bear Creek. It's got to have the worst crowds of the lot because of its proximity to the Philly metro. Camelback and Blue both get crowded as well. If OP wants to cruise some crowd free greens and blues Jack Frost or Shawnee might be better bets.

SKI-3PO

How much further is Montage? The lower mountain with the good terrain does not get a lot of crowds.

I disagree strongly that Bear Creek has higher crowds than Blue. The terrain is not as good at Bear Creek, but way more people go to Blue.

SKI-3PO

To illustrate my latter point - current web cams at Blue and Bear Creek, near peak time Sunday on a holiday weekend. Both cams are near the main lifts at each mountain.

Blue

bluemt (2).png

Bear Creek

bearcreek.jpg

Rowsdower

How much further is Montage? The lower mountain with the good terrain does not get a lot of crowds.

I disagree strongly that Bear Creek has higher crowds than Blue. The terrain is not as good at Bear Creek, but way more people go to Blue.

You know what, I would agree with you now. Bear Creek felt like it was much more crowded six or seven years ago. Blue seems to have maintained a customer base better through some bad seasons. There were way fewer kids at Bear Creek than I remember, even in sub-par conditions. I'd also say Blue has better terrain than Bear, or at least more of it.

Montage is now called Sno and is maybe 30-45 minutes further on. I haven't heard a lot of good things about Sno, although I've never been myself.

SKI-3PO

Montage is now called Sno and is maybe 30-45 minutes further on. I haven't heard a lot of good things about Sno, although I've never been myself.

Montage is now Montage again as of this year. The Sno (with those 2 dots on top of the o) owners went under. I was there yesterday - it was good with 3-4" of new snow and as I mentioned, there were little/no lines on the lower mountain lifts.

It's not somewhere I typically go though - I prefer Elk, given PA options, but I guessed that Montage might be less crowded than most PA places yesterday and had been to Elk already this season. Plus, it doesn't get much steeper than White Lightning in PA. I can't take the crowds at either Camelback or Blue - it's been years since I've been to either and I can't imagine a scenario that would bring me back. The other NE PA option I consider worthwhile is Jack Frost, but I haven't been there in awhile either.

4aprice

I guess this is to late for you, but I was at camelback friday. All open but one trail, but pretty grim snow quality. Heavy slush over ice.

Better than nothing, and we had zero waits at lift, so still a fun day. But I'd maybe try blue….probably get the same thing though.

Huge difference today. They've blown a ton of snow over the last 2 days (7-10 trails under the guns when I arrived this morning) and conditions were good for most of the day. Silly busy yesterday and today but that's a holiday weekend. By next week (with the cold ) it should be really good. Conditioned bumps on Lower Cleo and they are skiing well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

I know it not either one if these hills. Elk was awesome day thanks for coming Cornhead. I got my cousin and his GF their first time they like Elk. New snow today didn't hurt at all. Winter is back end of thread hijack.

Rowsdower

Montage is now Montage again as of this year. The Sno (with those 2 dots on top of the o) owners went under. I was there yesterday - it was good with 3-4" of new snow and as I mentioned, there were little/no lines on the lower mountain lifts.

It's not somewhere I typically go though - I prefer Elk, given PA options, but I guessed that Montage might be less crowded than most PA places yesterday and had been to Elk already this season. Plus, it doesn't get much steeper than White Lightning in PA. I can't take the crowds at either Camelback or Blue - it's been years since I've been to either and I can't imagine a scenario that would bring me back. The other NE PA option I consider worthwhile is Jack Frost, but I haven't been there in awhile either.

I hadn't heard about the Montage/Sno thing. Probably explains why they were getting a bad rap. I liked Elk the one time I was there. I like Jack Frost as well. For a lower key mountain I'd probably choose Frost over Elk just because of proximity and the fact that they let you ski the trees there.

The crowds are pretty bad at Camelback, but I don't mind putting up with it. They have decent terrain and better snow than Blue. Plus, the crowds generally stick to the west side of the mountain. Today I had Pharaoh almost all to myself.

SnowRock

The crowds are pretty bad at Camelback, but I don't mind putting up with it. They have decent terrain and better snow than Blue. Plus, the crowds generally stick to the west side of the mountain. Today I had Pharaoh almost all to myself.

Did the same thing... lapped that area in the morning with a few trips over to the other side. Had 16 or so runs in by 11 when the lift lines started to get bad. Cliff and pharaoh and even on the other side if you stick to the blacks they are pretty empty. Just quick runs.

I'm partial to camelback like you. Find it the best of the local hills and then it's hunter or elk for longer day trips.

Crowds are expected but was there by 8:00 and on the lifts as soon as they allowed me around 8:30... You can always do that and have two hours of quiet time before the masses come close to getting out.

4aprice

Did the same thing... lapped that area in the morning with a few trips over to the other side. Had 16 or so runs in by 11 when the lift lines started to get bad. Cliff and pharaoh and even on the other side if you stick to the blacks they are pretty empty. Just quick runs.

I'm partial to camelback like you. Find it the best of the local hills and then it's hunter or elk for longer day trips.

Crowds are expected but was there by 8:00 and on the lifts as soon as they allowed me around 8:30... You can always do that and have two hours of quiet time before the masses come close to getting out.

You have hit upon the key. The early bird gets the worm and more so on a holiday weekend. Season pass holders get 1st tracks at 7:30. I get 5 and up to 10 runs before the GP gets on the snow. (lots of high speed yo-yoing off Sullivan moving towards Stevenson.) Then as pointed out the real slam begins at 11. There are a few tricks but I bet we get 20-25 runs by 11:30 when we break for lunch (ski team thing) Afternoon sessions either happen or don't happen, but there are a couple of lifts with no lines.

Nice little snow storm we had Sat morning (interesting drive from NNJ) dropped about 1 1/2" over fresh groomed cord which made for a beautiful surface 1st thing. Good snowmaking effort over the weekend. Had a lot of fun skiing Lower Cleo under the guns Sunday. Looks like they will be aggressive with this cold and bet conditions will be good for a while. Natural snow wouldn't hurt either.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

I hadn't heard about the Montage/Sno thing. Probably explains why they were getting a bad rap. I liked Elk the one time I was there. I like Jack Frost as well. For a lower key mountain I'd probably choose Frost over Elk just because of proximity and the fact that they let you ski the trees there.

Re. Snow conditions - Look at a topo map or elevation stats. Camelback is higher up. (and faces due north) I've seen times when Camelback made snow when others couldn't. I prefer snow conditions to vertical.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Rowsdower

Re. Snow conditions - Look at a topo map or elevation stats. Camelback is higher up. (and faces due north) I've seen times when Camelback made snow when others couldn't. I prefer snow conditions to vertical.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I take the same stance. It's why I don't like Blue. Camelback's base is around the same elevation as Blue's summit. IMO the best snow is at Camelback, Frost, and Elk because they're on the plateau. I'll take the better conditions over the extra 200' of vert any day.

tnt

Blue's snow making can be pretty bad sometimes, but IMHO, Blue has better terrain. More top to bottom trail skiing, less of the "all trails lead to Baily's or Honeymoon" thing that CB has going on.

Biggest complaint re: CB though is, no bumps on the steeper trails, and that stupid signs about not bringing in your own food…really bothers me.

Having said that, family skiing at CB isn't at all a let down and I agree the conditions are more consistent.

4aprice

I take the same stance. It's why I don't like Blue. Camelback's base is around the same elevation as Blue's summit. IMO the best snow is at Camelback, Frost, and Elk because they're on the plateau. I'll take the better conditions over the extra 200' of vert any day.

Frost probably has the best conditions of all (no night, less traffic) (got 3 to Camelback's 1.5 Sat am) but that mountain can't hold my attention for long. Elk's the best with snow and elevation but is an hour further on. Like Blue (good with the moguls) and have hit good snow there but have hit some bad snow too. Racing schedule has me at Blue 1st weekend in Feb, Elk the weekend after President's Day with CBK in between, so I get to sample all of them. (a Pocono tour so to speak) If mother nature cooperates, could be a lot of fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

4aprice

Blue's snow making can be pretty bad sometimes, but IMHO, Blue has better terrain. More top to bottom trail skiing, less of the "all trails lead to Baily's or Honeymoon" thing that CB has going on.

Biggest complaint re: CB though is, no bumps on the steeper trails, and that stupid signs about not bringing in your own food…really bothers me.

Having said that, family skiing at CB isn't at all a let down and I agree the conditions are more consistent.

Think you will see bumps on Asp soon. They were up before mother nature decided to misbehave. 15 routes down the mountain that don't involve Honeymoon, be glad to show you them sometime.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

tnt

Think you will see bumps on Asp soon. They were up before mother nature decided to misbehave. 15 routes down the mountain that don't involve Honeymoon, be glad to show you them sometime.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Last year they let all those front diamonds - asp, hump, marries…whats the other?….bump up a little after we had some good snow. That was a great stretch there.

And I seem to remember once they might have even seeded Pharaoh?