• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blue mt pa mtb 5.30

gorgonzola

last week was rough with home and work projects and with the rains and sloppy trails, i figured i'd bag my usual saturday morning ride to sleep in. woke up at 6:15 to sunny skies though and headed up to blue to check out the super-d course. it was like deja -vu heading up to blue for dawn patrol, even rocked the same ryan adams disk i usually vedge out to on the ride up....registered, went over the bike quick and ended up first chair just after 8:00!

DSCN9442.jpg

didn't stick around for the races thoug.ended up taking 4 runs before heading home for little league, wall spackling and lawn mowing. a little over an hour ride time and 7 miles and change. first two run was slow checking out the course and trying to orient myself at trail crossings. secondwas the same showing a guy the course who somehow got lost on his first run - his comment at the end was "i've never ridden so many rocks!" obviously not a ne pa local... trails were great though, the berms at the bottom of the sharp switchback turns were built really well that just sling you around if you let 'em roll - bear creak should build some at those tight swicthbacks that suck the speed out there. my favorite section was the part with the little roller woops after the main street crossing.

DSCN9452.jpg

some random dudes coming down home stretch across the finish

DSCN9457.jpg

last 2 runs i let 'em roll a little and did the steep little drop instead of the go around and carried enough speed through lower sidewinder to stay out of the softer lower sections of the berms. headed out just after 10 , lift line started backing up - before that i was just riding right to the chair...

DSCN9456.jpg

a great event - and i understand some of the local lv racers fared pretty well, congrats! thanks to all the trail builders, organizers and blue for this event - looking forward to more!

DSCN9458.jpg

Last edited:

gorgonzola

i 'm pretty sure that section's in the woods just west of raceway - it was really dis-orienting riding and trying to figure out where i was on the mountain without stopping. i'd love to see a trail map overlay! most of the singletrack was in that area and the wooded areas between switchback/lazy and lazy/sidewinder. the singltrack was a series of switchbacks that would then cross and/or follow sections of trail or access road - it just looks so different with leave cover at speed...if i go back up for the fathers day ride i'll pay more attention

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Blue is so green. The pics are really cool. I'd love to head out for the next event, but I don't have a schedule from the boss yet.

bg.jpg