• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bmx bikes?

madriverjack

I'm looking to get my 8 year old into bmx racing and need some advice on bikes. I want to get him something light and he is 54 inches tall. I use to race in the late 70's early 80's, so I don't know much about bikes anymore.

bvibert

Staff member
Wish I could help you, I'm really only familiar with MTB. Good on you getting him into BMX though. I thought about getting my kids into it, there's a BMX track right near my house.

I'd say go into a bike shop and see what they have. The place near me has a big BMX section, I don't know if they all do.

o3jeff

Things have changed a little since we were kids with BMX racing. Take a look at the Redline Proline Series or the GT line. My nephews had the Redline Proline Minis and did pretty good with them. While you're at it pick yourself up 24" BMX cruiser to ride at the track with them. This is what I have, tons of fun riding with them and trying to race their father!
32389_1355265655178_947426_n.jpg

o3jeff

Once you figure out a couple bikes that fit them good check on Craigslist. Might take a little time to find them, but lots of good deals on slightly used bikes either cause the kids didn't like racing or outgrew the bikes.

C-Rex

Cutting Edge in Berlin, CT has a good selection too. Dan's Comp is a good mail order source. http://www.danscomp.com/

I haven't ridden BMX since I was a kid so that's about as much relevant advice as I can give.

madriverjack

Thanks I've been looking at redlines, se racing and gt's. I did look at dans, but I'd like to have my son sit on a few to make sure I get the right size bike. Thanks everyone