• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bombarded by Vail marketing e-mail anyone?

abc

So it's the holiday season and marketing e-mail are just coming out of the woodwork! I got something like 20 e-mails from the various Vail owned mountains every few days! So that got to be really annoying. I unsubscribed from those I don't plan to go THIS year. But that didn't seem to stop them from continue to send those useless junks.

I mean the idea of email marketing kind of escapes me. Does anyone read them and actually do anything because they got a marketing e-mail from a mountain? Anyway, I digress.

OK, we get unsolicited e-mail from all kind of places all the time. Most probably got sick of it and ignore them all. So just to keep my inbox manageable, i diligently, I "unsubscribed" from all those I have ZERO interest and left the others alone.

Today, I got something like 10 e-mail AGAIN from the various Vail-owned mountains. And EACH AND EVERYONE OF THEM, the "Unsubscribe" link went to a website that hangs indefinitely!

Talk about uniformity to save cost - as in the "Vail intentionally ruins snow report" thread. When something goes wrong, it ALL goes wrong, for ALL the mountains. (granted, unsubscribing to marketing email is definitely low priority) But heck, I can see it would be very efficient if someone wants to hack the Vail web site and turns all their mountain to "Close for today" in one fell swoop! :)

cdskier

Only e-mails I've received from Vail lately have been the daily "Northeast snow report" that has the daily stats for Stowe, Okemo, and Sunapee.

Funny story...I actually thought I had no longer been receiving the daily Stowe snow report last year and figured Vail either did away with it or lost my subscription to it somewhere along the way. I had seen this "Your Northeast Snow Report" e-mail from "SkiMail" piling up in my mailbox but never actually clicked on it until early this season. It never occurred to me that Vail would have rolled Okemo and Stowe together into some e-mail with a rather generic subject and sender name (the e-mail address it comes from actually says vailresorts.com, but I only saw that once I clicked on the e-mail and opened it this year).

So good job by their marketing department of making their e-mails look like some unwanted spam that results in people like me never even opening them...