• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bonneville Salt Flats Trip Report

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The last full day in Utah I went skiing to Snowbasin. Since my leg was still bothering me from a fall the previous week, I decide to quit after 2 hours, get my wife and drive out to the Bonneville Salt Flats. It was a nice day and just wanted to do something with my wife. The ride to the flats from Ogden, UT was about 155 miles, with a speed limit of 75 mph on RT 80 and traffic going at 80-90 mph, the trip took us about 2 hours. The Salt Flats are an amazing area. The descriptions I read have it at anywhere from 30,000+ to 40,000+ acres. Through out the winter, the flats are covered with water in some areas and just moist in others, driving on them is not recommended this time of year as it is easy to get stuck. By July all the moister evavaporates and July-August is when all speed records are attempted here. Below are some pics:

The ride out from Salt Lake City to the Salt Flats is over 100 miles, mostly all straight and flat. I looked at my watched which is an altometer and never saw it vary more than 20 feet:
IMG_0389.JPG

The edge of the flats:
IMG_0411.JPG

The island on the towards the left hand side of the pic is probably about 15 miles away from where this pic was taken from. The speedway actually starts about 2 miles behind this point and runs a bit more than half way to the island. The speedway is 10 miles long.
IMG_0440.JPG

V taking a walk (without crutches!) that's RT 80 behind her
IMG_0441.JPG

The story
IMG_0451.JPG