• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot flex

Breakout12

What can people tell me about boot flex? I've read some posts (not here) that claim that flex is a gimmick. However, I can clearly see a difference between my 100's and my GF's 80's. If it is not a gimmick, what conditions would different ratings excel in?

Also, related to differing conditions, when researching opinions on how tight to buckle boots, people would suggest different tightness for different situations eg. tight for carving wide open groomers, looser for steeper, more challenging terrain. Can wearing them looser create a sort of artificial flex?

Please fill my head with knowledge! :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Flex itself is not a gimmick, there are flex differences that have real impacts. But there is no standard flex number, even within a given brand. One company's 80 could be another's 110. You can't really go on number alone.

Regarding buckling, you shouldn't have different buckle positions for different conditions, no. And you definitely shouldn't wear boots looser. Too tight and you'll loose circulation, though. You want a tight and snug fit. You may need to change buckle positions during the day as the boot heats or cools. But never change due to conditions.

Madroch

Also, just as an FYI- there is a big variation in range of flex among not only boot makers, but boot models. Meaning two boots from the same maker with a stated flex of 110- even assuming the 110 are the same standard due to being from the same maker (not even sure this necessarily holds true)- one may have a much deeper range of flex/motion while the other may have a much shorter flex- where you hit the wall quicker.

Cheese

Boots are the body's connection to the ski. They're the point of control you'll give to the ski and the feedback you'll receive from the ski. The tighter and stiffer a boot is the more control you'll have over the ski and the quicker you'll receive feedback from the ski about how it is performing. If you're on a stiff ski you'll need a stiff boot to control it. If you're on a softer or rockered ski you won't need to give the ski nearly as much flex so you can get away with a softer flex boot.

Loosening the upper most buckle could offer some flex but you need to be careful. If your heel starts lifting at all, you've sacrificed too much performance. Additionally rocking back and forth in a boot that's too loose can cause "shin bang" which is where your shin repeatedly contacts the tongue of the boot. Beginners often encounter this and think that loosening the boot will hurt less. It's actually just the opposite but once the damage has been done it can require days to recover.