• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bromley vs Stratton vs Magic ... You have to choose

fluid164

Here's the detail you'll need to give an fair opinion.... We are not knowledgeable of the area, but this where we are going, 2/16-2/19

Beginner kids under 12 through Expert skiers
We mostly stick to slopes, but intrigued by glades
Skiers, not boarders
Probably want the kids in lessons or camp for one day
Three days in the area...we are thinking we want to go to one of the mountains for 2 days and one other one day. The 2 day ticket appears to get some discount.
We are not loaded down with cash!

Go!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

MMP

Here's the detail you'll need to give an fair opinion.... We are not knowledgeable of the area, but this where we are going, 2/16-2/19

Skiers, not boarders
Three days in the area...we are thinking we want to go to one of the mountains for 2 days and one other one day. The 2 day ticket appears to get some discount.

Go!

Get some cash-hit Stratton.

Heart says Magic, head says Bromley.

2 Bromley
1 Magic

Smellytele

President's day week. Busy.
Stratton will be the busiest followed by Bromley

Stratton has the most lifts and terrian

If there is snow Magic would be great for your one day. Stratton is groomer heaven. Bromley faces south and can be great on a sunny cooler day.

Magic has one base area where all trails lead so getting lost/separated is not an option and different level skiers can all ski down at the same time to the same place. Stratton has 2 different base areas and multiple spread out lifts. Bromley has really only one base area but has a lift that is off to the side part way up the mountain.

I can only assume that Stratton while probably have a good ski school would have very full classes. Magic would have a better ratio of instructor to student.

xwhaler

If Magic has a decent amt of terrain open and the beginner level kids are comfortable riding a chairlift I would do 1-2 of your days there. Magic has some wonderful gentle greens off the summit they would enjoy.
As you probably know, their advanced/expert offerings, when there is snow, are unmatched in Southern VT.
I also worry about crowds/$$ at Stratton during the heart of school vacation week.

If the beginners are not comfortable riding a chairlift Magic is effectively out of the running as they don't have a real learning area at this time.

Ski Till I Die

Website
www.skitillidie.com

Skiers, not boarders

Go!

Ive got no hate for Stratton... but UGH... I really want to say Magic.

Yes. Do Magic. You have 4 weeks to let them fill in the trees and get that cover cranking. If it were me, I would ski Magic (particularly on a budget).

Tin

If you like standing in lines and are made of money Stratton. If Magic gets some natural snow hit it. If Magic has most of their terrain open then there is no point in skiing most other places in VT. Never mind Bromley or Stratton.

gmcunni

i'll be different.. while i enjoy magic if you are catering to the 12 year old beginners i suspect you'd enjoy Bromley more.

skifree

Stratton sounds like it fits your family profile the best. Lift tickets will set you back almost $100 per person though.
Not a fan of Bromley. Tickets no value for prez week.
Magic is best value but may not be the place for a beginner.

dlague

Magic was not an option but since it was mentioned - when I think of staying on trail Magic is not what I think of. They keep a lot of stuff natural. If groomers are the point - Magic can get boring. If you like to explore then Magic can be fun if they have the snow.

I think Stratton is the most popular and is definitely the place to go for groomers. I have never been to Bromley but it looks like it has lots of groomers as well. However, dollar for dollar buy the lift tickets in advance online 3 day pass averages out to $75 per day for adults and 55 per day for 7-12 compared to $61 per day for adults at Bromley. Stratton has twice the trails and twice the acreage.

Personally I would do one day at each for the fun of it!

Boxtop Willie

2 days Bromley...and they have a great ski school
1 day Magic

Stratton during vacation...complete zoo

MMP

Magic was not an option but since it was mentioned - when I think of staying on trail Magic is not what I think of. They keep a lot of stuff natural. If groomers are the point - Magic can get boring. If you like to explore then Magic can be fun if they have the snow.

I could not disagree with this more. If the mountain is open, every run at Magic is over 1600 vertical, with long, winding, classic, new england ski trails of varying characteristics. The other areas in SOVT in my opinion are so homogenous (wide, flat, groomed, short and served by a lift that doesn't go top to bottom -URSA. for example) that they are uninteresting.

Magic, when it has snow this year will have two lifts serving the entire vertical, and also grooming that is on par with Statton. Know how I know? The grooming is done by someone that worked at Stratton (and left of his own accord).

Magis has terrain that cannot be groomed, that is where it differs from the others. Find me someone with balls big enough to groom Witch, Black, Master (;) Magician....

fluid164

Great info...a lot to consider...keep it coming!! thanks all for the open honesty!

trackbiker

I could not disagree with this more. If the mountain is open, every run at Magic is over 1600 vertical, with long, winding, classic, new england ski trails of varying characteristics. The other areas in SOVT in my opinion are so homogenous (wide, flat, groomed, short and served by a lift that doesn't go top to bottom -URSA. for example) that they are uninteresting.

Magic, when it has snow this year will have two lifts serving the entire vertical, and also grooming that is on par with Statton. Know how I know? The grooming is done by someone that worked at Stratton (and left of his own accord).

Magis has terrain that cannot be groomed, that is where it differs from the others. Find me someone with balls big enough to groom Witch, Black, Master (;) Magician....

I agree that you should spend at least one day at Magic if they have snow. The long groomers are great for the beginners and will not be crowded. The experts will like the whole mountain.

Savemeasammy

I love Magic, but if you have some very raw and timid beginners in your group, then Magic will be tough for them. Otherwise magic is a great place. The terrain is the best (most challenging) in Southern vt, and the vibe is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fahz

I think over vacation week the weekends are by far the worst for crowds and you are there on days of the week. I have visited all three and would have to say the under 12 beginner with lesson makes me think Bromley. It is a family mountain and has a Kidsrule program that might be what your looking for. Stratton has the gondola. The line can be long but when it is really cold & windy it offers a nice break, has the most terrain but costs the most. Least crowded would be Magic but always the most fun when it snows and everything opens up. Multi-day Bromley and watch the weather, powder day hit Magic, otherwise spend the extra and go to Stratton. If I wasn't committed to a multi day and had never been there before I - hit all three. Each is a unique experience.

Mullen

2 Bromley 1 at magic if there is good snow.......I'm just not a fan of stratton.......it just feels too foofu there for me.

Bromley has a great ski school and cool camp program for your little ones, plus you can probably get a really good deal staying right there at the sun mtn lodge that will include breakfast. And magic is right on the same road, real close.

rocks860

Well fuck, looks like I'll be skiing that weekend too, probably at Magic. My girlfriend and I are staying at this place called a stonewall inn for the weekend and likely skiing sunday.