• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke: "True North;" Okemo: "True North." Mistaken Identity?

thetrailboss

Staff member
So as some of you know, earlier this fall Burke rebranded itself and redid its website in the theme of "True North", harkening back to its roots and really focusing on its real identity. They made a nice, homy and gritty webpage with some hyperbole thrown in, but pretty accurate and honest.

TRUE NORTH. Less a point on a compass, more a way of life. A way of life we're fighting to preserve for skiers and riders everywhere.

And:

Burke Mountain is, both geographically and spiritually, a monadnock–an isolated, solitary mountain.
Geographically because, well, we say it's too much mountain to be part of a range. Geologists say the mountain is made up of rock resistant to erosion, so as the surrounding landscape eroded down, it remained. Spiritually, it's a similar story. As the surrounding ski landscape changed, Burke was resistant. Now, as some resorts have (by some opinion) eroded away into treeless, homogenized, corporate-run experiences, Burke remains.
WE'RE NOT ANTI-CHANGE. WE'RE FOR IT.

Sometimes we create it. As long as it makes sense. As long as it stays true to the sport, making it more accessible to more people by pulling the skier and rider up and not flattening the experience down. But first, a little history. The Earth cooled. Snow fell. Vikings skied it. Then, in 1932, men cutting a road to the summit of Burke Mountain decided to also cut the Wilderness and Bear Den Trails. Non-Vikings skied them. When the road to the summit was completed in 1935, Burke became a popular skiing destination, holding the first of many, many downhill races in 1937. More races took place. Then, in 1970, an aspiring ski racer asked legendary coach Warren Witherell to train her full-time. He agreed, and they created the Burke Mountain Academy–the first of the now-ubiquitous ski academies and home of over 50 Olympic racers. Genuine change for the better. Later, on the rolling trails and steep pitches of Burke, the s-curve was first taught, giving skiers a more natural and efficient way to control their speed–a technique that changed the way new skiers were taught for decades.
Sure, sometimes, when you look at the mountain and see more trees then skiers, it seems that it's still resistant to change.
But things are changing again.

On and around the mountain, you'll start to see a picture of what ski resorts–especially Burke–could, and we think, should be.
LOW-DENSITY, ULTRA-EFFiCIENT HOMES will keep costs and waste to a minimum. Homes that give you a sense of space without wasted space. Homes that fit into the community, both visually and in their need to make the most out of every material that goes into them. And we're not looking to create a contrived "village" that doesn't fit in with our surroundings. We have a real village. One with great restaurants and a country store. One that's been around for awhile. One that, oddly enough, seems to open up a shop or restaurant or inn just as soon as people need it and not before. And that's worked out pretty well over the years. And don't worry about things getting crowded–this is Vermont. We've got space. We just prefer to use it a little more prudently up North. Initial plans for yet another golf course have been shelved, with the thought of reclaiming some of the land for a farm that will help feed our community or be a local resource for restaurants. We love that kind of change.

But the kind of change we don't love, and can't stand for, is changing the Vermont skiing and riding experience. We're dedicated to narrow trails that ride a mountain's natural contours. We'll always preserve or add to our 100+ acres of glade skiing. Don't worry about crowding. We could more than double our terrain. It's just that with THE LOWEST SKIERS PER ACRE IN VERMONT, we don't need to just yet. And we won't expand for expansion's sake. Sure, people will disagree. Good people. Friends of ours. They'll point to ski areas putting more money into their amenities than their ski trails and say that's the way to go. Areas that we feel may not have a clear vision of who and what they are (or were). But we hope those friends see our sensible, true path and stick with us. Sure, our decisions might not be so showy and our trails not so crowded. But, oddly enough, we're OK with that. Burke is used to standing alone.

Enter the latest edition of SKI Magazine. An ad for Okemo (page 53) proclaims, "BILLOWY CLOUDS RUSH ACROSS A DEEP BLUE SKY. WHITE BLANKETS EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. EMBRACE YOUR INNER WILD THING. find your true north.

And Okemo has its own website for "true north", that reads in part:

find your true north True North is more than a geographic direction along the earth’s surface represented by lines of longitude on a map or globe.
True North is an inner compass that points toward passion and inspiration. It is the feeling of exhilaration that ignites the moment you succumb to gravity. It is the day’s first turn in soft snow and every well-executed arc that follows.
You look north, because you long for that familiar feeling – the reception, the ease-of-living, the fresh experiences and enduring relationships. You expect and you are rewarded with moments of whimsy and discover the you that is miles away from your everyday self. You and your family feel at home and in tune – connected by the simplicity of your experience.
Pristine moments flood your senses each time you encounter a new turn, a different view – the smiles on the faces of your family. You find comfort and welcomed affinity for your surroundings, the warm and familiar faces. It beckons you in those quiet moments and, when you arrive, you know that you’re where I should be – home.”
Welcome North

This mountain, this place – it’s like home, it feels warm and familiar — and yet, it’s different and unique. It symbolizes the vision in your mind when you long to go north and escape.
Okemo greets you with a smile and rewards you with a sense of belonging. Here, the daily grind means something entirely different. It replaces the everyday with an experience that turns the norm into a departure.
That is true north. A place that brings you back to the feeling you get every time you stand at the top of the mountain and push off. It is that place you return year after year. It’s where you bring your children, and it’s where you will bring your grandchildren. This place is a part of your life; a part of you.

:blink: Hmmm.....it can only be one. Who is it? I think it is Burke because Okemo is homogenized and what a lot of folks don't consider to be "northern skiing" but rather a McResort. It's kind of like when Killington a few years back said that they weren't a "McResort" in their marketing. Really?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The words "True North" don't sum up Burke for me. Those two words don't say to me "old school classic trails good value community oriented non-homogenized ski area".

Fact is if you type in "True North" into Google, you'll find that Burke isn't the first to use those words nor will they be the last. Or at least Burke's marketing agency won't be cause I can't believe Burke's marketing department came up with it. "True North" probably resonates just as much with much of Okemo's clientele as it would with Burke's because it is a generic feeling inducing non-descriptor. For me it doesn't do anything but make me think that Burke is working with a marketing company. For many it might resonate. But it will resonate just as much for Okemo's loyal skiers and riders. It doesn't denote anything. That is why they have to spell it out with so many words...

Now that I look at Okemo's web site, I think they might have had that first... I think I remember seeing that last year???

Masskier

Either way I think they both have an understanding of what the consumer will be looking for over the next 5-10 years. Burke has a clear advantage because they are starting with a clean slate, where as Okemo is pretty much built out.

Cannonball

The words "True North" don't sum up Burke for me. Those two words don't say to me "old school classic trails good value community oriented non-homogenized ski area".

Fact is if you type in "True North" into Google, you'll find that Burke isn't the first to use those words nor will they be the last. Or at least Burke's marketing agency won't be cause I can't believe Burke's marketing department came up with it. "True North" probably resonates just as much with much of Okemo's clientele as it would with Burke's because it is a generic feeling inducing non-descriptor. For me it doesn't do anything but make me think that Burke is working with a marketing company. For many it might resonate. But it will resonate just as much for Okemo's loyal skiers and riders. It doesn't denote anything. That is why they have to spell it out with so many words...

Exactly. It really doesn't resonate and just comes across as marketing schtick.

Also, I cracked up at the line "Less a point on a compass, more a way of life". Well yeah, because from Burke the N on the compass points to Jay!! (almost)

witch hobble

Lame all around, but I'll give a slight nod to Okemo's marketers for having consulted the Boy Scout Field Manual (or at least Wikipedia) and not calling "true north" a compass point.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lame all around, but I'll give a slight nod to Okemo's marketers for having consulted the Boy Scout Field Manual (or at least Wikipedia) and not calling "true north" a compass point.

:lol: Good point!

Seeing that Okemo is using the idea, it makes me uncomfortable to see that Burke's page is eerily similar. Maybe it was the same design/ad firm? And if Okemo is using the phrase, then it really doesn't carry much because I certainly don't see Okemo as "true north," not to take away what the Muellers have done. That and as Masskier hinted at Okemo uses a different marketing brand almost every year.

And Riv, if Burke is not "true north," what is? MRG? The old Jay Peak (Jay today is not what it was even a few years ago)?

troy

Burke wins handsdown, okemo is a cluster-$%^& might as well rebrand itself as "downtown"

SIKSKIER

Does anybody like Burkes new website?Maybe I'm being sent to some weird bootleg site but I can't stand it.I tried to find a report on when they are opening and could not find a ski report.The top left of the home page has a barely ledgable snow report link.Click on it and it brings you to Sno Countrys snow report of Burke.Am I blind or what?

Cannonball

Does anybody like Burkes new website?Maybe I'm being sent to some weird bootleg site but I can't stand it.I tried to find a report on when they are opening and could not find a ski report.The top left of the home page has a barely ledgable snow report link.Click on it and it brings you to Sno Countrys snow report of Burke.Am I blind or what?

I'm with you. It's pretty bad. Even the way it scrolls smacks as a free template from DIY webhosting service. On they other hand, maybe they're are brilliant marketers. Maybe they know that if you wait to sell "grass roots vibe" your technology can't be too slick.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Here's the answer, re: opening:

Opening Weekend December 17

Despite current snow making efforts, the current weather and daytime temperatures will not allow us to get the snowmaking coverage on the mountain as we had hoped. Just as soon as the weather pattern improves, which we expect to be later this week, the snow guns will again be blasting snow in full force, for an opening date of Saturday, December 17th. We will be sure to keep you posted with all updates, and hope to see you next weekend! In the mean time, keep those cold snowy thoughts directed at the mountain and do a little dance for our snow gods.
Our plan for opening weekend will be to have skiing and riding from the Mid Burke Lodge and Willoughby Quad Chairlift. The Mid Burke Express is coming along-on schedule-and should open by the start of the holiday vacation.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was surprised to see it get so much love when the original thread was posted. It is a step up from their old design but not a major step up, a very small one. It looks like some slick marketing company got their hands on it and shined it. Certainly a missed opportunity.

We'll see if folks that originally loved the new layout flip flop given this issue...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
True, but I'm not talking about the literal sense.
Huh? "True North" doesn't have any connotative reference that I can think of aside from whatever the marketers wrote about it. Yea, Burke is pretty far away from metro areas, I guess. But it is closer than many other destination areas! Shouldn't Burke be trying to do away with the stigma that it is far away? That is the only thing "True North" says to me without reading the marketing copy... it is way the hell up there... which isn't true.

"True North" doesn't ring the old school classic mountain connotation with me. Maybe it is just me...

UVSHTSTRM

I was surprised to see it get so much love when the original thread was posted. It is a step up from their old design but not a major step up, a very small one. It looks like some slick marketing company got their hands on it and shined it. Certainly a missed opportunity.

We'll see if folks that originally loved the new layout flip flop given this issue...

I kept quiet (I think) about the new web page layout when the original post came out, but I hated it.

Not to pick on Burke, but does anybody remember the master plan powerpoint that came out a few years back? It used a highway photo as if you were cruising up 91 to get to Burke. It was actually a photo of a highway through the Smokey Mountains? I might be crazy, but I am pretty sure it was Burke.

Cannonball

I never know what the hell I'm saying day-to-day so I thought I'd go back and check myself for flip-flopping. Looks like I come out clean on this one....

As far as websites in general go...it's pretty terrible (bad layout, TONS of bugs, weak on content, etc)

As far as Burke's website goes....it's a pretty impressive step up.

I'm bummed that they seem to have dropped the old logo. It was probably my favorite of any mountain.

River, you gave it a surprisingly high score. But with some tough critique.....

It is a step up but still a lot left on the table. Navigation could use some work. I'd start with drop down menus on the top nav. Not sure I like how they broke out the content. I give it a solid B. The main page gets an A-. I like how all the key bits are there including conditions, phone numbers, booking, news, weather, social networking links. The True North thing takes up too much space and as previously noted is a tad too pretentious even if it is true.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Not to pick on Burke, but does anybody remember the master plan powerpoint that came out a few years back? It used a highway photo as if you were cruising up 91 to get to Burke. It was actually a photo of a highway through the Smokey Mountains? I might be crazy, but I am pretty sure it was Burke.

This is the one you remember.

Road_to_Burke.JPG

I think it was on a page aimed at recruiting EB-5 investors. It was a Ginn website that wasn't put out by the people of Burke specifically. I can remember what thread it was in but I remember being pretty worked up about how rediculous it was.

Edit: Found the thread
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=67149

I'm happy Burke never went down that road. :razz: :puke:

Last edited:

UVSHTSTRM

This is the one you remember.

Road_to_Burke.JPG

I think it was on a page aimed at recruiting EB-5 investors. It was a Ginn website that wasn't put out by the people of Burke specifically. I can remember what thread it was in but I remember being pretty worked up about how rediculous it was.

Edit: Found the thread
http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php?t=67149

I'm happy Burke never went down that road. :razz: :puke:

I had totally forgotten about the EB5 in regards to Burke. Have they been able to get any investors? If so what have they raised? Perhaps they haven't released the numbers, but any rumors in regards to this?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
River, you gave it a surprisingly high score. But with some tough critique.....
I wouldn't call a B overall a high score (I did give higher grade to the front page only). I said it was a step up but a lot left on the table (the old site was perhaps a C+). There is no reason why any web page these days shouldn't be an A for a business of Burke's size... especially when web page design plays an import role in attracting day trippers.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
With so much competition - resort-wise & marketing spins - Burke would be wise to rely a little more on the best, cost-effective, promotion...word of mouth from those that have been there.