• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying ski boots online? Where? Looking for deals :)

Redliner

Hi all! I have skied in the same boots for 20 years and they kill my feet. My Dad generously gave me a gift cert to see a Pedorthist, had a custom pair of foot beds made, been measured in every direction possible and given a list of ski boots that he thinks will be the perfect fit for me. I am having trouble finding any of the boots on the list. I would like to find a new pair of boots that is a year or two or three old if their on the list. I am looking to save some money as my funds are very limited.

Has anyone ever done this before?

Any ideas, shops to call, websites to visit ect?

I'm basically looking for a 29, 100mm, 120/130

The tops on his list were the Atomic Hawx 130, k2 Spyne 110/130, Lange rs130w, lange rx120/130, Nordica ace 2+3 star, among several others.

I am a good skier but cannot afford more than 5-10 trips a year.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks :)

fahz

Purchased my last pair on Ebay, watched searched and got what I thought was a good deal. Still use them many say I was lucky.

Other sites like, The Clymb, Dogfunk, LeftLaneSports, others?

Good luck!

ScottySkis

Where do you live? Lots of people here have or know of great shops but if you say were you live then that would help with advice. If your near mid Hudson's Valley NY I always liked Potter Brothers shops they have several stores, and always did a great job with boot fitting for my weird feet.

JohnQ

It's going to be hit or miss. Evo, for example, has good outlet prices on occasion but it's size dependent. The RX120, for example, has a nice sale on the 2013 model for $420 but only size 30.5. Otherwise it's $599.

I know you've had measurements done and sound like an experienced skier but I'm not comfortable buying online. Different brands have different fits and, though you're likely going to need some fit adjustment anyway, some brands just won't get you comfortable. Expect to pay additional for a boot fit session … often that's included when you buy retail from a good shop.

Redliner

Thank you for the quick replies :) I too am a little reluctant to buy online but I do feel confident that I have been given a list that will fit me very close. I live in Gardner Ma next to Mt Watchusett. I will check these websites and I'm not afraid to travel either. Thanks!!

drjeff

Check the listed sites almost EVERY day!! That boot list is full of very good, very popular models and a 29.0 size is quite a common size so they tend to go fast!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

twinplanx

Hi all! I have skied in the same boots for 20 years...

I am a good skier but cannot afford more than 5-10 trips a year.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks :)

I feel your financial pain brother. Twenty years is an AWFULLY long lifetime for a pair of ski boots. Good luck with your search :)

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

wa-loaf

The Hawx are not high in volume, especially over the instep...but bootguy can maybe make space, if needed.
If you're not skiing everyday I might opt for 110-120 fflex (y/n?) a little less stiff = better control over rough terrain...although I didn't notice your weight/height(=tibia..??)..
Addition to your good list could be:
Dalbello(+walkmodes)
Head
Technica(+walkmodes)

Lange has a few walkmode boots as well...

He's been to a bootfitter. Now he's looking from a prescribed list of boots not just shopping around.

WWF-VT

Is a "Pedorthist" a bootfiitter ? Sounds like he did not go to a bootfitter/ski shop for the footbeds. I would take the Pedorthist's recommended list to a local shop that carries a few of the recommended boots and work with the bootfitter at the shop.

wa-loaf

Is a "Pedorthist" a bootfiitter ? Sounds like he did not go to a bootfitter/ski shop for the footbeds. I would take the Pedorthist's recommended list to a local shop that carries a few of the recommended boots and work with the bootfitter at the shop.

A lot of the top bootfitters are pedorthists as well.

twinplanx

Hey my local Walmart had some kinda Dr Shoals display that'll churn out "custom" footbeds. I haven't seriously considered using this as my boots fit fairly well right out the box. Just wondering if anyone else has thrown money the Dr Shoals way?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Redliner

He wants me in a 120/130 because I'm 6'2" 180#'s. I'm kinda skinny now but have been as much as 235 #'s. I think he wants me in the tallest boot possible with a good power strap and might add another to the tounge as well. There are a lot of other boots on the list. I just mentioned the 100 mm. Lots of 98's on the list. I guess 2 mm is not a lot to worry about especially when the boots start to get packed out.

dlague

Start with

http://www.gearbuyer.com/

I research gear here - find what I like - then search for it on bing or google. Once I find the lowest price I check to see if Evo has it of so the price match plus give you an extra 10% off!

We buy all our gear this way. If you know specifically what you want then you can skip a step or two. I research in the spring and buy in the summer.

dlague

He wants me in a 120/130 because I'm 6'2" 180#'s. I'm kinda skinny now but have been as much as 235 #'s. I think he wants me in the tallest boot possible with a good power strap and might add another to the tounge as well. There are a lot of other boots on the list. I just mentioned the 100 mm. Lots of 98's on the list. I guess 2 mm is not a lot to worry about especially when the boots start to get packed out.

Well that depends what type of skiing you do as well! 120/130 is fairly stiff! Not sure what you were in before but it was twenty years old right? If you're an advanced/expert skier that will be fine, but I like a boot more around the 100 flex range for all mountain.

drjeff

The other thing to remember about boot flex is that its a relative number within a manufacturers own line! There is no industry "standard" so say a 120 flex Nordica may flex different to you than a 120 flex Lange and different again from a 120 flex Atomic. Take that into account

My personal boot is one on your list, the Lange RS130. I love its performance across all conditions for my 6'3" 225lb frame with a racing background

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

Another thing to keep in mind re: shops vs online is that some shops have promos with local mtns to include a lift ticket w/ purchase. My brother-in-law is heading to Ken Jones in Manchester NH tomorrow to get fitted for boots...if he chooses some Dalbellos that look nice they give him a Bretton Woods voucher. Nordica has a voucher to Okemo/Sunapee.
If you consider the value of the ticket that alone would prob make up any cost difference by buying online not to mention the other benefits everyone has mentioned.

WWF-VT

With a long suggested list and with different last widths and flex ratings you really should get to a shop to try on several boots to get the best overall fit and support after the sale.

Cornhead

With a long suggested list and with different last widths and flex ratings you really should get to a shop to try on several boots to get the best overall fit and support after the sale.
I totally agree with this, and if you show them a printout of a boot you like cheaper online, they may reduce their asking price, worked for me, I do have a long time relationship with my shop however. It's worth paying a little extra for the services a shop will provide to you, not to mention helping to keep them in business. If you have any issues with your boots down the line, fitment problems, broken buckles, etc., your shop will take care of you. If you buy them online, you're probably on your own. Boots are your most important pieces of equipment, shop accordingly.