• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Camelback 3/25/11

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Date(s) Skied: March 25, 2011

Resort or Ski Area: Camelback

Conditions: Bluebird, Packed powder, some death cookies

Trip Report: After reading that Camelback got 18" of snow the day earlier, Toast and I decided we'd meet up there for some AM turns. After a quick Long Trail Pollenator in the parking lot, we headed out. I thought there were a surprising number of cars in the parking lot for a Friday, but when you're the only place open, maybe not. Lift lines were less then 5 minutes.

Snow depths there are amazing for this time of year, at 12'-15' deep in parts. Unfortunately, anything that was untracked, had turned into boilerplate overnight. Conditions ranged from nice groomed packed powder to death cookies that would make Blue Mountain jealous. We pretty much skied the whole mountain by 12:30 and decided to call it for the day. Scuttlebutt on the lift was that they are thinking about opening next weekend also.

While unbooting in the parking lot, we met up with some of the Camelback regulars and discussed differences in safety techniques between Blue and CB. Gotta love parking lots.

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

A big "Thank You" to Camelback for the Alien Day. If they open next Friday, I will take another day off of work to get in some April PA turns.

〽❄❅

Date(s) Skied: March 25, 2011
..Scuttlebutt on the lift was that they are thinking about opening next weekend also.
..If they open next Friday, I will take another day off of work to get in some April PA turns.
..there may be something to those rumors, the website currently reads: "Stay Tuned for details regarding next weekend."
If it happens i'd hope they start the weekend on Friday's predicted high of 43º. I don't know what was doing there yesterday wrt crowds and snow conditions but it seems too bad they weren't able to stay open today with a high of 37º

4aprice

〽❄❅;613298 said:
..there may be something to those rumors, the website currently reads: "Stay Tuned for details regarding next weekend."
If it happens i'd hope they start the weekend on Friday's predicted high of 43º. I don't know what was doing there yesterday wrt crowds and snow conditions but it seems too bad they weren't able to stay open today with a high of 37º

Lack of people. They were supposed to close for the season Sat but with the snow last week opened for Thursday, Friday and Sunday. They like the PR so if its possible expect them to be open next weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

〽❄❅

Checked the site after catching the evening news weather reoprt: "...will be open from Thursday, March 31st through Sunday, April 3rd for your skiing and riding fun."

So March 31st would be premature for a April fools joke, i could be hitting Camelback this year. It's been a long time since i've been there.

vinnyv11

Ya I was shocked when I saw this post. If i'm not in VT i'm definitely at Camelback this weekend. Start posting if you plan to make it out.

4aprice

I saw the models this morning on Channel 11 in NY. It showed snow with a mix line approaching Camelback then crashing back southeast. (ie all snow at CBK) They could be in line to be open the next 2 weekends. Nothing would make them happier then to be the "First-Last" in the Pocono's. For them this has been a tremendous season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I saw the models this morning on Channel 11 in NY. It showed snow with a mix line approaching Camelback then crashing back southeast. (ie all snow at CBK) They could be in line to be open the next 2 weekends. Nothing would make them happier then to be the "First-Last" in the Pocono's. For them this has been a tremendous season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
CBK is good with the PR like that.

4aprice

Just got back from a drive up to the ski area to take care of some business and pick up an item. Interesting drive as anytime one got over approximately 1000 ft of elevation they were transported into a winter wonderland. Camelback' s base is about 1200 ft and the mountain was caked in snow and it was coming down at a good clip. Oh yeah, the lifts were spinning too. Looked like everything except Coolmoor was open and still covered very well. They will at least get this weekend in and may keep going if weather permits.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

gorgonzola

good news, how much did they get? i'm torn whether to ski tommorow morning or start my hike/bike routine...